Patriots Super Bowl Scandal Fallout (2014-15)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 12, 2015.

1. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I could not find the dedicated thread on the Boson Patriot Super Bowl Scandal... Four game suspension plus a million dollar fine on the Patriots. Personally, I think they should lose their Title.

Brady Suspended, Million Dollar fine on Patriots

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If they lose their title, who would be the champion?

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I find it hard to get worked-up over anything in football these days. I guess I'm numb to the endless scandals and feel I'm slowly drifting away from the sport. Considering I'm part-owner of a championship NFL team, that's quite an indictment on the sport.

4. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

It would default to Seattle. Look, Boston won by only 4 pts. Anyone who does not think this is relevant should think some more. :confused:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLIX

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's the New England Patriots and the Title belongs in Titletown. :D

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why is this in PRSI and not being discussed in the NFL thread in the Community section?

7. Huntn, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

It seems to be controversial. As far as being in the NFL thread, I elected for a dedicated thread on this scandal. In fact after thinking about it, I'm happy if the Mods think it should be moved to the Community section or even be incorporated into the NFL thread.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No-one. Just like there wasn't a champion from the 1989 World Series after Loma Prieta, or more importantly, the Black Sox.

After this and the wife beater issue, they have once again, put the integrity of the game under fire, let alone made a mockery of it.

no-one knows what the outcome of the game would have been if they played fair, so no-one knows if the Patriots would have truly advanced to the Super Bowl. If anything, the Colts have a legit case to take the Patriots to task.

So no, they shouldn't be allowed to keep the championship. It should be vacated.

BL.

9. Mousse, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Deflategate:rolleyes: occurred during the AFC Championship game.

If I recall correctly, the Pats ran up the score after all the balls were properly inflated. So the deflated balls made zero difference in that game. Not a Pats fan (a bit of a hater, to be honest), but the deflated balls was more of a handicap than anything. Colts had (and still has) no defense.

Not like the 1978 AFC Championship game and the #4 worst call in NFL history. The Mike Renfro "no catch" catch swung the momentum to the eventual SB Champs Steelers.:mad: Yarp, I'm still bitter about that play.:mad: Became a Steelers hater ever since.:mad::mad: No guarantee that the Oilers would have won. They were up against THE best team of the 70's with its legendary Steel Curtain defense.

Anyhow, back on topic. I am shock, SHOCK!!!, Goodell had the balls to suspend Tom Terrific 4 games. The man puts butts in seats. That's a lot of $$$ the league will lose out on. I'm glad the Golden Boy isn't untouchable any more. Told you I was a hater.;)

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The 89 World Series was postponed and finished a few weeks after the earthquake/

11. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Not during the Super Bowl too? My mistake and my apologies if accurate.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

Brady deserves a suspension from Gisele deflating his balls.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wonder if they'll take back his Super Bowl ring.

Attached Files:

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

lol based on what should he lose the title? the superbowl game had nothing to do with the alleged wrongdoing.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

They may not have made the game if it weren't for this. They basically manufactured the outcome of the game, and that is not right for any sport. And there should be no way that the teams are able to bring their own footballs to be used for the official game. That invites the tampering that actually happened. The footy, the inflation of it, and the inspection of it should all fall under the jurisdiction of the referees, who are there to adjudicate and enforce the rules of the game. They should be the ones handling the footy, not the individual team.

In that aspect, the league got it wrong; rule change for that should go into effect immediately.

As for the punishment, people are already complaining that Brady got it too harsh, because if Ray Rice can only get pinged for 2 games for his conduct, Brady should get less.. Like I said, how many people completely forgot about the Black Sox, or USC and their rules violations. There's precedent, both within and outside of the sport for the proper punishment to be handed down, and the league got that wrong as well.

BL.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Agree with you on that, but they did not manufacture the outcome of the game. Most of the QBs of the league pushed for this rule and the NFL didn't mind. Clearly the vikings/panthers getting caught on tape altering the footballs with their 25k fine is justice for them, but not the pats? Lol. Goodell is only considered with public image. If the jets who don't win anything (sorry rdowns :p) were caught doing this, no one would care, and this would never be a huge story in the first place

17. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Go Pack Go. I hate the Pats. I hope they miss the playoffs because of their 0-4 start. Now, we just have to worry about the Hawks. I think this is our year.:D

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Meh. 0-4 would mean nothing to the Pats since they have historically started slow. Remember when they went 1-2 back in 2012. People were ready to shovel dirt on them (dead and buried, Brady's old, yadda yadda). They won the division, got to the AFC title game. I would prefer the 4 game ban take effect week 13. Lets see them earn a Playoff spot on a 4 game skid.:D

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Irony of all ironies for this: if Brady's appeal fails and he sits out the 4 weeks, round 5 is against... The Indianapolis Colts.

You can't make this up.

BL.

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

They won by 38 points. They did better in the 2nd half with overinflated balls than they did in the first half with underinflated balls.

Face it, the Pats would have won that game playing with water filled basketballs. It (ball pressures) had zip to do with them making the Superbowl or not.

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Don't worry, we'll still make it to the superbowl this year.

----------

Yes you can. Thats exactly what goodell did.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Why would I be worried?? We beat your cheating arses last year!:cool:

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yea, I don't expect the 'hawks to do much this year. After their epic choke in the SB they are too psychologically scarred to perform. Also, they'll be busy dealing with their (sure to come) off-field issues.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

If its a packers/patriots superbowl, I'd love to get a rematch. We got outplayed that game, but you guys have to get to the superbowl first.

25. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Ehhh. We should've been there last year, but we beat ourselves. Tragic....but we'll have plenty of opportunities with Rodgers at the helm. I'm not so sure about old-man Brady, though. If he can't cheat, can he win at his age?:D