Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. McMac, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

A sad day in classic rock. Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane died yesterday at the age of 74 of multiple organ failure.
    It really hits hard to loose another rock icon I grew up with. I've seen the Airplane several times in the late 60's, and early 70's at the Fillmore East, and in the late 80's when they got back together for a brief period of time. 2016 is turning out to be a bad year for rock n roll.. :(

[​IMG]

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Knew their music, never saw them live. Man they had some good if not great songs.

RIP.........

I have a feeling this is going to be a touch year in both music and film.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn, they're dropping like flies. One of the few classic rock bands I never saw live. RIP.

4. Mr. McMac, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

Mr. McMac thread starter Suspended

Mr. McMac

I started playing bass because of Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplanes' bass player) in 1969. Jefferson Airplane was, and still is one of my favorite bands. Paul and Marty wrote 95% of their songs. Pual played great rhythm guitar and had a great voice. I'll miss him :(

One of my favorite songs from Crown of Creation (1968)

5. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Sad! Listening to 'Live at the Fillmore East'.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm sorry to learn of the death of Paul Kantner, too, as I really rather liked Jefferson Airplane.

However, I on the topic of horrified surprise at their deaths, ("they're dropping like flies") and the view expressed that 2016 is going to be a 'touch year' for deaths in music and the creative arts, I think we should try to bear mind that one may not remain impervious forever to the effects of the proverbial rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

They are not immortal even though many of them lived as though they thought they were.

Actually, a great many of these guys were busily burning the candle at both ends in their prime - now, in effect, they are being handed the bill for the spending spree of their lives. I'm not arguing that it is not - at times - a tragedy - but I will say that it comes as small surprise.

7. 748s, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

748s macrumors 6502a

748s

8. Mr. McMac, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

Mr. McMac thread starter Suspended

Mr. McMac

I didn't hear about that. Same age as Paul. Very sad news. I'm 63, and I feel so sad that people whom I've had respected in the music industry are dying off. I especially loved, and still love The Jefferson Airplane.