Paul Ryan not running for re-election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Would you...I know I'd get out of that place as fast as possible

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Nah he’s not going anywhere. It’ll be darn near impossible for Republicans to lose the senate this cycle.

5. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

I think it was fairly obvious Paul Ryan would cut and run. He got his Koch-inspired tax heist for the wealthy, his job is done. I don't think he ever cared about public service or his constituents. He was a hired puppet for the Kochs.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

7. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Wasn’t this the same guy that a week or so ago called this Fake News? Why isn’t it that every Republican that claims stuff is fake news turns out to be real news reported to the American people by good reporters doing their job?

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

336686D8-E533-4536-81D2-CD5758406EDD.jpeg
    And the rats, including top dog rats are fleeing.​

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought he wanted to be president.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yeah but they were on a path for a historical shift in power anyway. Not to worry, if the Dems get control for any amount of time they'll blow it too, lest we just ignore history.

11. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is the problem when Democrats take charge in the last 20 years, the Republicans go into lock down mode, shifting all of their efforts to defaming the Democrats and deceiving the easily riled, slack jawed elements of their base to resist progress at all costs. :oops:

What it will take are a majority of citizens who want real progress which includes a more level playing field so we stop getting so many of these Republican winners* being elected into office who spend all of their time gumming up the works.

* not a blanket critique of Republicans.

13. AsherN macrumors 6502

And not running in 2018 is the smart way to achieve that. Put a 2 year buffer between you and the Trump Presidency.

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Yup. And like a true coward, once he got what he wanted, he's going home to hide from the consequences.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

In other words, the American people will forget yet again the drivers of the debt in two years time. Ryan got exactly what his oligarch backers wanted, now it’s time to leave and reap the private sector rewards for finally enacting their wet dreams.

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I don’t know about that. Lately it’s seemed more possible than ever. I won’t be surprised if they lose both chambers this November.

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

This. Anti-Trump isn’t enough to overcome systemic voter disenfranchisement and suppression. It will be close, but the Dems aren’t going to get the Senate. Perhaps if they actually had something for people to vote for it would be different, but they’re clearly positioning for a return to the “good old days” of corporate democratic control....you know the **** economic policies that breed resentment and tell people they’ll deserve a living wage only when they’ve indebted themselves to a profit centered education model.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How can he run plausibly in 2020? Either Trump will be running in which case he can’t win or Pence will be president.

19. 0007776 Suspended

The Dems will struggle to regain the Senate this cycle, but it won’t be because of voter disenfranchisement and/or suppression, it will be because they did well 6 years ago when these seats were last up for election so they don’t have a lot of options for where to pick up more seats in this batch.

He may be angling for 2024, but he may also be banking on two years being enough for people to forget to connect him to the negative effects of the tax changes, so he thinks he can challenge Trump in the 2020 primary. Just because it hasn’t successfully been done in recent history doesn’t mean you can’t unseat a sitting president in a primary. And if it’s ever going to happen, Trump is the one that is weak enough to fall in a primary, in the early primary states he was only taking 30% or so of the GOP vote and was able to skate by because there were so many others splitting the vote. If he has one strong challenger and only takes that 30% of the vote again he will start to lose primaries. If that happens in an early state it will open a clear path to unseating Trump without the GOP risking their hold on the presidency.

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Uh, voter disenfranchisement and suppression is what got Trump elected. THAT is what put him over for the electoral college. Look up Greg Palast’s reporting on Krish Kobach and Crosscheck. No one wants to talk about these things because American’s would realize how predetermined their “choices” are in elections, but elections are now mere engineering problems instead of a function of any “democracy” we allegedly have.

21. 0007776 Suspended

If there was suddenly zero voter disenfranchisement or suppression where would the Democrats get the seats? Almost everything up is in deep red states where outside of the Republicans nominating another Roy Moore the Dems have next to no chance for a pickup. Also the Dems already have a couple states that are usually Red states where they are on defense so they might lose a seat or two which then means they have to pick up something in a deep red state to offset the loss.

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I never had much respect for Ryan, but now that he is stepping out, I can have some respect for him, I despise career politicians.

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Oh hell no, the Democrats think that they can play the same chummy Wall Street and Silicon Valley ********. They really do not understand why exclusively catering to the top 10% (as opposed to the 1% for the GOP) and bending ceaselessly to their corporate paymasters is WHY so many Americans don’t vote. Who you gonna vote for, the people that explicitly try to screw you, or the ones who will do it a bit gentler, with a nice smile, and throw in a few social issues to distract that everyone’s living conditions continue to slide regardless of which corporate party is in office.

The DCCC has been actively undermining grassroots supported progressives all over the country, in favor of people who can fund raise large donations from their corporate friends. The Democrats need their leadership boxed up and put to pasture, they’re the biggest impediment to progress in what is going to be a hugely active midterm and presidential election after that.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Americans could vote third party...

25. 0007776 Suspended

Maybe you quoted the wrong person? I asked where the Dems would get the Senate seats from in this cycle, and then you went of on an unrelated tangent while quoting me...