Paul Ryan tells illegal immigrant he doesn't want to deport her

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jan 13, 2017.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/12/politics/paul-ryan-town-hall-undocumented-immigrant/index.html

House Speaker Paul Ryan was asked point-blank Thursday by a woman whose parents brought her to the US as an illegal* immigrant at age 11, and who has remained in the country for 21 years since: "Do you think that I should be deported
    ------------------
    *My word because you are no longer "undocumented" if you go on cable TV and admit you are here illegally.

He said no. However I say YES!
    She has been here for 21 year. She has had plenty of time(~14 years as a legal adult!) to apply for citizenship. She decided to have a child knowing full well she could put that child's well being at risk if she was deported.

Unless she has a REALLY good reason I say she should be on the next bus out of here. She can take her child with her or surrender it to child services. Being that her child was born in the U.S. if the parent decides to take the child back to the country of origin as soon as that child turns 18 they are welcome to return as a full citizen.

2. cube macrumors G5

Are illegal immigrants eligible for citizenship?

3. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

??? That is a good question!
    I believe the proper channel is you need a visa first if you are "in country" but I have no idea

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Great question but I think unless granted amnesty, no. I'm not all out for deporting everyone but if you've committed a criminal act, you need to go. If you come back after that, you should be tried here. Life in prison, death penalty, etc. Make space for them by letting out low level offenders like marijuana farmers.

5. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

1. You have no idea what applying for citizenship actually involves
    2. This person is American through and through. As they spent the most important formative years from childhood into adulthood in the US.
    3. Way to blame a child for the sins of their parents. An 11 year old has no say over where they live or what their legal status is.
    4. I will never ever agree that this is good policy and I won't shut up about that fact either.
    5. Heartless

6. lostngone, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I never said I did...
    She never once thought... oh maybe I should do something about being a criminal in the country where I am living. No, instead she had a kid.
    When she turned 18 was she at any point forced to stay in this country illegally?
    They don't have to like it or even agree with a law however they shouldn't complain when they get caught!
    It is called the law heartless or not I would not expect anything different if I snuck into a foreign country illegally. I sure the hell wouldn't go on cable TV and out myself!

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

And a couple hundred years ago you could sell someone into slavery, and it was the Law, yet looking back it's obviously not ok... Some laws are unfair either by design or because they are being applied outside of the scope they were designed for.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

You are comparing the legality of kidnapping and enslavement to someone who is here by all appearances voluntarily?!?!?

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Not at all, just refuting the idea that saying "that's the Law" is not a reason to stop fight for something, otherwise no progress would ever get done. Some laws and policies must be challenged.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

How do you figure voluntarily? She was brought here when she was 11. By the time she was 18, she had probably forgotten she had lived anywhere else but here. (And most 18 year olds don't think in very wide circles.)

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Paul Ryan is a member of the pro-illegal GOP business cabal who prefers low-pay illegals to real Americans. No surprise there.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

No.

13. cube macrumors G5

What about "unreal" Americans?

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Unreal, undead, ungrateful, whatever. Hire Americans.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

As most here know I am tough on illegal immigration, I am for full deportation, closing borders to illegals etc.
    Yet, she was brought in as a child, without her free will, therefore it's a tough question. As a child she didn't commit any crime when she crossed the borders. There's no mens rea as she didn't know what she was doing (and as far as we know, she didn't even want to do it).
    For this kind of cases - which are not that many actually - we should find a sort of compromise because the question is not really linear. I think that she - and everyone else in a similar situation - should stay with as a Permanent Resident alien at the following conditions:
    1) She never committed a felony.
    2) She will never commit a felony.
    3) She will never ask for citizenship, unless she goes back to her country of origin and goes back in line with everyone else.
    4) She pays back any tax that she owes.
    5) She doesn't go on welfare, and if still in school she keeps passing grades.

16. cube macrumors G5

What about people that have a valid work visa?

17. 5684697, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

There is no need to apply for citizenship. Get a Green Card, pay taxes, work, don't go on welfare, and inform the gov't of your whereabouts.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The US is not a baseball field where just because you touched the plate means you are safe. Illegals are free to leave and apply for citizenship through legal channels. That goes for illegals from any country.

20. cube macrumors G5

It is not her fault she grew up in the US.

But the unaccompanied minor problem is a mess.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

In general, I agree and we should be as harsh as possible. But there are a few cases - that usually the media wrongly uses to get some teary eyes - in which the US already used enough resources that it is time to get the value back.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    The US don't care about the minor. If she leaves the country, the minor has to leave with her.

22. cube macrumors G5

I am not talking about this case. I am talking about illegal immigrant minors coming into a country, maybe sent by their family.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

In that case, send the minor back within a reasonable time-span. Embassies exist for a reason.

24. cube macrumors G5

Sometimes they don't even know WHERE to send them back, or the country deny she is a citizen.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

All to Mexico ;)