Paul Ryan, the next President of the United States

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Soooo many gaffes and he isn't even in office. Any more and he'll be rivalling sarah palin for the "most stupid comments" award.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ahh funnies :D

The guy must be (unintentionally) hilarious to work with on a daily basis.

3. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

4. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

5. Surely, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^Yes, when the video doesn't show the President's response, it's easy to say he was schooled, isn't it?:rolleyes:

Good thing you live in CA.....where your vote won't matter anyway. :p:D;)

Actually, I think Romney's gaffe is worse.

Romney made his at a huge announcement on a friggin' battleship attended by thousands of people that was covered by the national and international media.

Obama's was at what looks like a small campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon while on the campaign trail.

If Obama made his at an event that was similar in scope and importance to Romney's, then it would be a toss up.

That being said, who cares about gaffes? It's their policies, opinions, and actions that matter. And Romney/Ryan is scary.

6. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Exactly who cares about gaffes. . Obama did the same thing but nobody seems to remember it.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/...-president-gaffe-at-biden-rollout-131760.html

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What we really should be doing is taking bets on whether or not some bit of Ryan dirt will be uncovered that slipped past the vetting process...and if so, how long it will take for the media to dig it up.

Of course, with his record I'm not sure you'll need either gaffes or scandals to defeat him.

8. DakotaGuy, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Everyone makes a mistake. I suppose there are a few perfect people out there, but I have messed up plenty of times in my life. I remember when Obama took the oath of office and had to re-do it because it was messed up. It wasn't a big deal even though some wanted to make it one.

Exactly. If we are down to using reasons like this to decide who to vote for then I am worried about our future.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Good thing he made that mistake four years ago so you guys have something to fire back with. It's like when a poster lists the lies fox news makes and somebody brings up the old dateline lie about the cars.
    Everybody makes a few mistakes, Romney seems to be giving bush a run for the title of king of gaffes.

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The gaffe I posted is mostly funny and somewhat puzzling. :)

In short order we will see if this is typical of Romney, or just a one time thing. I don't think for a second this guy is dumb like W, even though they are the same on paper being rich (or at the top of the upper middle class according to republicans) and Harvard MBA graduates.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Mostly what I don't like about Romeny is that as a rich person he has spent his life disenfranchising common people for the sake of the rich few along with getting his fingers in every tax avoidance scheme he can identify. Sure, there are those who will say, "he has every right to", but I don't want someone like this looking after the general welfare. He's got tunnel vision.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Obama did the same thing when he introduced Biden.

Big deal..

:rolleyes:

13. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

All I thought of was a power play by the GOP, because they must know Romney must be cooked :D...It'll save much effort, time and 296 debates in 296 days :p

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Except he wasn't doing a big roll out of his VP pick on live national TV at the time. :D

So, no one seems to think maybe this was a Freudian slip? Maybe after all the mud slinging and campaigning Romney is ready to take a back seat to someone else now. Or maybe he considers him the superior of the two. LOL

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Another mistake: Romney just teed up attack ads featuring his arm around Ryan saying "every now and then I make a mistake"

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's the Cheney presidency 2.0.

You know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Yes.

You witty. ;)

18. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The first analysis I heard on ABC radio is that someone like Ryan won't help the ticket even though he will make strong Romney states like Utah, Alaska, and Texas even stronger. What Ryan's radical right wing ideology will do, attacking the American "third rail", or social security, will be to weaken the GOP in swing states. It may be unclear what this will do to the popular vote, but it is likely to hurt Romney in the electoral college. With 247 electoral votes safe or pretty safe for Obama, Romney chose the wrong running mate. I can agree with this theory.

I don't know Ryan and other than some GOP insiders, he is largely a young unknown and just a representative. If you want a congressperson, or ex-congressperson and your are the GOP, get a high profile person like Gingrich. He already has kudos with the right wing of the party, and like him or not, he knows how to navigate in Washington. The Ryan choice seems puzzling right now.

It's almost as bad as choosing an unknown governor from a small state (vote wise) like Alaska.

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Paul Ryan the Deficit Hawk???

He voted for the Bush tax cuts, the Bush military and security spending binge, the Medicare prescription drug benefit, the bank bailout and the auto bailout, and against the Bowles-Simpson deficit reduction plan.

His budget cuts taxes for corporations and the rich and increases defense spending. He pays for it by severally cutting Medicare and programs that benefit the poor and middle class and guts Medicaid.

It's the Ayn Rand you're on your own philosophy. That's not the America I want to live in.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Political analysis from a liberal network says Ryan won't help the ticket.

Really?

Amazing.

Keep up the circle jerk right thru November. Your guy is toast.

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

And political analysis from the right say it will, it's called politics. Both sides lay claim about the other. In all fairness a VP candidate doesn't add much to either side during Presidential elections. They hype up the party for a short bit but in reality is ALWAYS comes down to the main event, which is the one running for POTUS.

There is an aspect that about this election, that is it will come down to who can get the most moderates/independents. Ryan is more ultra conservative then Romney. That aspect alone makes it harder to pull in those independents then going with a VP in the middle. A conservative pundit this morning said Ryan will help secure the GOP that were wading in the water but won't help much with those in the middle.

Anyone saying either side is toast at this point in the race, hasn't paid attention to the last few races where anything can go. Obama is far from toast over the pick of Ryan. This race is still wide open for either side.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

:rolleyes:

Political analysis from everyone except for Fox News says that Ryan won't help the ticket. Romney needed help swaying moderates and independents to vote for him, and Ryan doesn't bring any of them to his side. If anything, Ryan causes them to vote for Obama or to stay home.

Keep eating the slime from the video that Fox News keeps feeding you. You can put it on that toast you mentioned.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Wanna bet?

Put something up if you feel so confident.

24. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

A " liberal network " please. Expect for Fox news, most media outlets just report on the facts.

If you watch Fox, ( not you personally, just anyone ). You really don't care about the news.