Pawlenty for Ousting Judges Over Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 13, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF? This guy is insane, hates the US system of government and obviously hates freedom. He doesn't understand that judges are bound to uphold the Constitution, not bow to his every bigoted whim. I am sick of people like this in this country. They need to leave and start their own theocracy somewhere. :mad: Freedom is for all, not just some.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/13/Pawlenty_Supports_Campaign_to_Oust_Judges/

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

30 years from now we'll look back at people like Pawlenty the same way we look back at politicians who fought against the Civil Rights movement in '50's and '60's.

Lethal

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

In the meantime, how are people like this getting away with trying to subvert the American justice system?

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

As the invisible primary for the 2012 Republican nomination continues, I become more and more convinced that nobody is going to make it out of the actual Republican primary in tact as an acceptable general election candidate.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ahh, the American Taliban in action. This is my favorite though:
    As we saw in the Dover case, and in the Prop H8 case, when personal opinions and religious prejudices are removed from the debate, the radical right loses, and loses bad.

Pawlenty doesn't want judges who don't insert their opinion into their judgements, he wants judges who insert an opinion he agrees with into their opinions.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

They can get away with it as long as they have sufficient popular opinion behind them.

Lethal

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Hey Judge, I don't like your ruling! So piss off!

Really? REALLY?

Nothing but a bunch of fear mongering.

Disgusting.

8. ranguvar macrumors 6502

The church once again demonstrates extremely unprogressive thinking. I bet they'd still burn "witches" if they wouldn't go to jail for it. I can't stand how the church only ever changes their exegesis of the bible when they start to risk to lose large numbers of members. It's such a hypocrisy! No church leader wants to stone gay people anymore, although it says so in the bible, but they still won't allow gay marriage. I bet in a few years when gay marriage is widely accepted throughout the population, and the churches will be able to make money from it, churches will let gay people marry, too.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I wish 'the church' would stay out of politics. Or, if 'the church' wants to be involved, how about it pays taxes.

10. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I am already printing up the fliers and sandwich boards and planning on opening up a church LOL

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It is amazing how many aspire to be this generation's George Wallace.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think that any lawmaker who suggests that we subvert the American justice system should be brought up on treason charges.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Should someone remind T-Paw that the Supreme Court isn't American Idol and you can't change judges every year.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

No. Definitely not.

But you cant discount that lifetime appointments are ridiculously stupid.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- they aren't ridiculous. We need at least one branch of government that has nothing to do with majority rule. It's an extremely important method to protect our constitution. If judges suddenly get voted in or out, then upholding the Constitution merely becomes a popularity contest. In effect, the Constitution could become meaningless.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the problem you have with judges who also have to be politicians to get elected into office. If the people do not like your ruling then they can vote you out plan and simple. That is why often in those states before an elections those judges will not take on a big political case. They will try to hold off until after the fact.
    I am not a fan of the people being able to elect judges.
    Now a judge who is more liberal or conservative is more likely to rule one way over the other. Think the judge is to liberal the people will want to vote them out. Either way I am not a fan of being able to elect judges because it turns them in to politicians and politicians are easily bribe with these things call campaign financing.

17. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Actually the church is suppose to stay out of politics and this is the radical version of the church not the church that God wants people to go to.

In the bible it says "Render to caesar what is Caesar's" which means give the law what the law is due . So it's these radicals that attempt to bring the bible and religion into it.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How many massively expensive properties and expensive ancillary properties, including parsonages would suddenly be included in the tax base? My guess is it would be plenty to keep that child on the street corner from starving to death. (Or her mom from selling her body for money)

19. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

You mean we’ll call him a Democrat too?

By following the example set in California. If you don’t like a outcome in a legal process find somebody who will subvert that decision without writing a single word of law in their decision to be on your side.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Whoops. The problem was that it was found not to be a "legal process" in a court of law. Hope that clears up your confusion.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Democrats of the South who were opposed to the Civil Rights movement became Republicans when the Democratic party abandoned their ideals of hatred, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc...

So, the answer to yuor question is no, we'll call them Republican too.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This was the outcome of a legal process. Proposition 8 violated the Constitution and was found to be illegal. The purpose of the court system is to review laws and strike them down if they violate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with any "side". All citizens are entitled to equal rights under the law. Rights cannot be taken away simply because one group does not like another.

23. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I guess Judge Walker doodled for 137 pages??
    :rolleyes:

24. Queso macrumors G4

Poor old william sire is still hurting. Leave off everyone. Let the poor man lick his wounds for a bit.

:D

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Optional names for Old Bill.

William Liege.

William Majesty.

Bilbo Baggins.

Bill Me Later.

Come on, lets have some more, but be quick. ;)