Pawlenty quits Romney campaign to become Wall Street lobbyist.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Sep 20, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, that's the same Tim Pawlenty who during his brief run in the GOP primaries blasted the wall street corruption and the lobbies in Washington and blamed them for our situation. Now he's become a lobbyist himself. Of course Mitt Romney congradulates him...

"Tim Pawlenty is a dear friend," Romney said in the same statement. "He's brought energy, intelligence and tireless dedication to every enterprise in which he's ever been engaged, and that certainly includes my presidential campaign.
    "While I regret he cannot continue as co-chair of my campaign, his new position advancing the integrity of our financial system is vital to the future of our country," Romney said. "I congratulate him."

Link

2. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

And the issue is?

Love the dig on Pawlenty though...

There was a candidate that ran back in 2008 that said that lobbyists wouldn't run his administration...

Now, which candidate was that . . .

Let

Me

Think...

Oh, that's right. Mr. Obama.

In March of 2009, Poltifact deemed Obama's promise "broken." So, if Obama took office in January of 2009... He couldn't even hold a promise for 3 months!

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ahh, politician to lobbyist. Following in only the finest tradition. Keep them wheels greased boys.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You've definitely got a point. I've had a huge issue with Clinton V2 (Obama basically surrounded himself with ALL Clinton's people) foreign policy wise. I'm also thinking Obama is the lesser of two evils domestically.

No one has run on overhauling a broken increasingly volatile system here at home. Merely wanting to patch the holes (Obama) or blow out another load bearing wall (Romney).

I'll be holding my nose in the voting booth this November, only because Romney will be Bush II V2, literally all the same people.

And remember guys, Pawlenty is the "values" guy!

5. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I actually like Pawlenty. He got blasted here at home in Minnesota (but really, what Republican governor in MN wouldn't get blasted?) but overall I think he did a decent job. He spent the last quarter of his time setting up his campaign run for Prez, so that wasn't cool... and I don't think he's as flashy as one would need to be to be President/VP, and he's flip flopped on a few issues in recent years....

I'd vote for him over Romney. (But really, that isn't saying a whole lot.)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Looks like Pawlenty jumped off the sinking ship. Don't tell me they couldn't have waited another 46 days for Pawlenty.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The issue is another rat is jumping off the sinking ship. Combined with all the Republican lawmakers running for the exits to distance themselves from Romney, it's interesting.

So does that mean you are voting for Romney expecting a different outcome? Or voting for Obama cause you don't want the Bush people behind the scenes again?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh, either that or getting into position. Lets see how much more Wall Street can get away with.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Option #2 my friend.

I really dislike the Clinton people (and therefore most of Obama's) but the alternative is so. much. worse. I don't want the Bush II administration to get another term with another puppet sitting on top.

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I'm not so sure. Pawlenty is nothing if not loyal. (well, as loyal as a politician can be) The guy has pretty much done everything Romney has wanted him to do... so I wouldn't see it as his jumping ship, I'm assuming is that there, obviously, was a disagreement about the direction of the campaign, and Pawlenty was probably asked to step aside.

He would have gone down with the ship... he doesn't really have anything to lose. He has a failed presidential campaign, and he was passed over twice for VP... being a part of a losing campaign isn't going to hurt him any more.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Jump off the ship, thrown off the ship...either way it's off the ship. Although I really don't think they were putting him to much use. So clearly this split has been in the works for awhile. Probably some sore feelings after he didn't get the VP nomination. It was like he was a VP stand in for all those months. I really thought either he or maybe Portman would get it.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have a hard time imagining a lobbying firm coming to Pawlenty and saying, "We're thinking of hiring you on because we all admire the fine work you're doing on the Romney campaign." :D