Pay as you go/Prepaid options in Canada for travel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pbateman, Jun 7, 2012.

1. pbateman macrumors 6502

Hey guys
    I will be in Canada (Burlington) for 1 week for a training and would like to be able to use my iphone, not so much for voicecalls but mostly for data (email/GPS..).
    Can you tell me what is the best bet as far as telephone companies go? I know there are a couple of companies that offer the iphone, are their pre paid plans about the same or is there one better than the others?
    There is no wifi in the training so a wifi only option is not an option for me, I think I'll need a sim card.
    My iphone is factory unlocked...
    Thanks!

2. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Basically, all of the carriers here in Canada are the same breed of tiger except for different coloured spots.

Since you are talking about a week only, I would check out the subsidiary companies like Virgin Mobile, Koodo, or Wind http://www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/storesandcoverage.aspx

There is also Fido and Moblicity but I don't know much about those guys.

3. pbateman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips I will look into those, do you know if I can find the cards in any kiosk or pharmacy by the airport? Or does it have to be a retail location for the carrier?

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Telus has a prepaid plan. If you have AT&T or Verizon, you can get 120MB/$30 or 100MB/$25 respectively with a global data plan. It's overpriced, but more convenient.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Wind and Mobilicity don't support iPhones - wrong band.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I used Rogers when in Vancouver, BC. Coverage was good, except for when I was out in the mountainous boonies. Refilling was easy. Not surprisingly, when you run out of money on the sim, you'll still be able to go to the carrier's page and add money.
    Use a site like howard forums to check on coverage.
    I recommend going to the carrier. Not only did they provide me with a micro sim, but they made sure the sim worked. For some reason, the first one was acting like a POS.