Pay CASH vs CARDS for iPhone at Apple Store

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 6thDAY, Dec 31, 2015.

1. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering about two different purchase methods, but when you pay using either cash or card, does Apple actually track your purchase?

In other words, are the purchases tied to your Apple account so, for example, you ever want to exchange it or return it, Apple knows how many times you've done it because they tie it to your Apple account?

Or if you use a card, they track it based on your card number?

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Apple cant really track you if you don't give them your email address...
    Just ask for a printed receipt rather than an email one.

Im not really sure what your concern is either way.. If it bothers you that much - goto a different retailer, its not like you dont have options on where to buy.

3. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I'm not really concern. I was just wondering because I pay by credit card all the time, but I see some people pay cash and was wondering why they do so, and those people don't appear (not to profile or anything) to be locals if you know what I mean.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There are a lot of visitors to America that take advantage of the lower Apple prices and buy to take home. Many of these use cash. Other buyers are just more cash based that others.

One day cash will no longer be used in America if our government has their way.

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

The government makes money on cash, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that they're somehow behind a cashless society. It would be nice, but it certainly ain't happening in my lifetime.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The government also know it get cheated out of a lot of taxes by people paid outside of the payroll system. Believe me they would love to have a cashless society. If it happen depend on us and how much we are will to put up with.

It would not be "nice".

7. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I always pay by credit card on major purchases. Returning is much easier. Plus, I get points. I pay card off at end of month to avoid interest and add 100.00 back into my checking account every 2 months from those points. So, now I use the CC for almost every purchase irregardless of amount.

8. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I stand corrected. It would be nice for those of us who are law-abiding taxpayers. If your attitude towards the government is a cold, implacable hatred and your sense of social obligation to your fellow citizens is non-existent, you might want to stock trade goods like ammunition and tobacco in cans.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Tobacco? Not.

Guns and ammo yes. And I no longer believe anything the government says. You must be union.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I always pay by debit card wherever possible and I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying the amount of cash required to by an iPhone/iPad around with me. When I bought my iPhone 6S plus on launch day I paid by debit card. I did see quite a few people paying in cash though.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do the same. Debit card all the way but would still like to not ever see cash go away. Only time I use the credit card is when I know it will be paid off before the end of the billing cycle.

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't need to track you by credit card, and I doubt they do.

It's simple enough. If you want service from Apple, then you need to identify yourself and provide your item's serial number. If you need to replace that iPhone, then they know the original serial number, and the serial number of the replacement. If you need to replace it again, then all three serial numbers are going to be linked together. And so on.

If you're the type to return the same item over and over, it's unlikely you can keep that a secret from Apple (or any other manufacturer), credit card or no. If you do it for legitimate reasons, you have no cause to worry. Bad things can happen to good people's equipment - the equipment is proof of whether your need was legitimate. Scams? I can't advise you there, my mind doesn't work that way.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I make 95% of my purchases with plastic. I live in the city, and while I've never been mugged, pick pocketed, or lost my wallet, it is a possibility and I'd rather not unnecessarily loose a bunch of cash. I generally keep no more than $40 in cash on me.

In some ways cash returns are easier, but money ends up back on my cards very quickly. I have two checking accounts and a credit card. I also have a AMEX for emergencies from my parents. Between the 4, it's not hard to figure out which card was used, considering one is for emergencies (rare) and other checking account is exclusively used to take out cash. That account is BOA, which I have just incase I need to take out cash and there is no ATM my primary bank around. BOA tends to be everywhere. There is no sense in being charged $5 to take money out of another bank's ATM.

The one place where I always make an effort to use cash is with tipping/gratuities. Additionally, I often try to use cash at independently owned, small businesses, but won't exactly go out of my way (hair salons, restaurants, etc). I will choose cash tips in pretty much any situation where I can have the option to tip by card- restaurants, hair salons, parking services, hotel maids, taxi drivers (exception: Uber, tip is already factored in), etc. Considering the minimum waitress hourly wage in Massachusetts $2.63, I don't want to see any more money of their money taken away. While some waitresses can make a decent weekly income, I know many young girls who have been essentially hired as slave labor if given crappy work schedules.