Pay iPhone with debit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gabichon, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Gabichon macrumors member

Hello,

I'm going to the apple store friday to buy the iPhone 5 and would like to know if it's possible to pay with a debit card or do I need a credit card? (I live in Canada so my debit card is Desjardins).

Thanks!

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

does it have a visa, mastercard, discover, american express logo on it?

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I've never had an issue buying an iPhone using my debit card (VISA). I use my debit card all the time at my local Apple Store and have used it to buy 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, a MacBook Pro, Apple TV, Magic Mouse and several other accessories over the years.

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

They might decline it because you have no credit history in the card. You would have to pay a deposit, which can vary depending on the carrier.

5. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

No it doesn't have any visa, mastercard, discover, american express logo on it.

----------

By paying a deposit you mean paying like half the price in cash?

6. Codepiink macrumors regular

I've purchased a cell phone several times with debit. Like another poster said, I don't think you will have an issue as long as it has Visa, Mastercard, etc. since you're from Canada.

Edit: And you are not going to get declined using a debit card if you have no credit history. Credit history has to do with your social security number, not whether you use a credit or debit card. Unless you have absolutely NO credit whatsoever (credit cards, loans, mobile or tv provider accounts in your name, etc.) then you might have to pay a deposit.

7. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

I feel as if Debit cards mean different things in the US. You shouldn't need credit history on a Debit card since it's essentially cash. And, see as it is essentially cash, I can't see any reason there would be an issue.

Edit: is this a Canadian or American Apple store?

8. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I thought... If I already have enough money in my account why would they decline? :/

Canadian Apple store (montreal)

9. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

If you're using a Canadian Debit card in an American store, it has to be a Credit/Debit card. For example, my CIBC Debit card doubles as a Visa for purchases in the US. If you're using it at a Canadian store, you won't have any problems.

Edit: Nuts. I'm seeing why people are mentioning credit history. Since the Canadian Apple stores aren't selling unlocked phones in store you'll either need to sign up for a new contract or extend a current contract. If signing up for a new one, you'll need a credit card/credit history. If you're extending a current contract, you'll be fine.

10. Codepiink macrumors regular

A deposit is a certain amount of money that you pay to the wireless provider if you do not have an established credit history, basically assuring them that you plan to pay your monthly bill on time every month. At the end of your contract you get that money back. The deposit amount varies based on your credit score and report.

11. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Paying a deposit would have nothing to do with the debit card. It would depend on whether they were upgrading. Or starting new service i guess. Cause i think you do get your credit checked when you start your service. And you may need to make a deposit to start the service.

12. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Are you 100% sure? It's not that I don't believe you, but I wil wait outside from thursday night and that would suck if they would not let me buy one :/

By the way, why can't we just pay cash? Is there a reason?

13. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Check the edit in that post.

14. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Go withdraw the cash and bring it to the store?

15. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Omg. I'm confused.

So I can't just buy a full price iPhone with Bell mobility and walk out? I need to start a new contract? I currently have an iPhone 4S which I bought full price from Bell mobility so I don't have any contract.. And I don't really want one :/

16. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Who is Bell Mobility? And are you even sure it will be unlocked so you can use it for that provider? I would check if you could get it unlocked first.

17. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

From a mobilesyrup.com article, quoting Apple:

“Buy iPhone 5 with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running. Or visit the Apple Online Store to buy an unlocked, no-contract iPhone 5.”

Only contract purchases in Apple stores. No unlocked/unsubsidized phones.

Bell Mobility is a Canadian carrier. One of the big 3 (Rogers, Telus, Bell).

18. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Bell mobility is the carrier I'm with atm. And I checked on the Canadian Online Apple store and I can pre-order an unlocked iPhone 5.. but I read on the forums they don't sell unlocked ones for awhile or are they only available for purchase online?.. If I can just get a unlocked one I'd be happy, but I don't know if it's possible?

19. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

If your debit card doesn't have a logo on it (for example MC, Visa, AMEX, etc) then it will only work at ATM's as far as I know of.

20. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Whether unlocked ones will be available for in store purchases remains to be seen. As of launch day, only carrier-locked and subsidized phones are available. Unlocked are only available online for the time being. In the US the unlocked ones are available about a month after launch day, so maybe Apple Canada will do something similar for in store models.

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If you have a debit card, you have cash, and if you have cash, you don't have a problem.

22. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

But can I just buy one full price locked to a carrier but don't sign a contract? is that possible?

23. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

I actually don't know. The wording on the website HERE makes it seem like you can't.

24. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Yeah i would def check into that. Cause maybe at some point they will sell unlocked models. But right now i think they are just carrier specific. Unless you can find somewhere that will unlock it for you for a fee.