Paycheck Fairness Act Blocked Again By Senate GOP

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/paycheck-fairness-act_n_5825644.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

The Paycheck Fairness Act would ban employers from 1.retaliating against employees who share salary information with each other, impose harsher penalties for pay discrimination and2. require employers to be able to show that wage gaps between men and women are based on factors other than gender.
what a feel good mess the democrats are working on.

1. if you don't like how joey works you sure as hell won't like it when you find out how much he makes more than you

2 yeah, lawsuit & extreme burden to show why not :rolleyes:

anyways, should women make the same amount of money for the same work? YES? but this bill is not the way to go about it. I think #2 is a complete mess.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/paycheck-fairness-act_n_5825644.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

what a feel good mess the democrats are working on.

1. if you don't like how joey works you sure as hell won't like it when you find out how much he makes more than you

2 yeah, lawsuit & extreme burden to show why not :rolleyes:

anyways, should women make the same amount of money for the same work? YES? but this bill is not the way to go about it. I think #2 is a complete mess.
Your post makes absolutely no sense to me. Just thought I'd put that out there.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I agree, I cannot understand your post.

The first point seems like a good thing to do. Why should an employer be permitted to penalise an employee for sharing their salary information? The only thing this does is prevent occurrences of gender gap pay for equal work from ever being discovered.

The second point, whilst tough to investigate, seems like common sense. An employer should be able to justify a pay gap between a man and woman for the equal work they perform. If they cannot justify it then they should be fined.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

The first point seems like a good thing to do. Why should an employer be permitted to penalise an employee for sharing their salary information? The only thing this does is prevent occurrences of gender gap pay for equal work from ever being discovered.

The second point, whilst tough to investigate, seems like common sense. An employer should be able to justify a pay gap between a man and woman for the equal work they perform. If they cannot justify it then they should be fined.
Because it does nothing but create conflicts among employees

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Why don't we just post everyone's pay amounts on the break room wall? We could do like they do on Open Georgia with government employees salaries.
Not 100 percent sure if you are serious or not but I completely agree. If two employees are comparable in performance and job title, one should not make significantly more than the other especially if the higher paid one is a male.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Not 100 percent sure if you are serious or not but I completely agree. If two employees are comparable in performance and job title, one should not make significantly more than the other especially if the higher paid one is a male.
What does that do for salary negotiation? What if the female is making more money than the male? Lower her pay?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I don't see the problem. If worker "a" accepted the wave offered, what difference does it make if worker"b" accepted 1/2 the wage?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
What does that do for salary negotiation? What if the female is making more money than the male? Lower her pay?
No, regardless of gender, two employees in comparable positions, with comparable job performance and time on the job etc should be making around the same amount. Posting the salaries would allow those who are being screwed to realize that, and either negotiate a raise or look for work elsewhere.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't see the problem. If worker "a" accepted the wave offered, what difference does it make if worker"b" accepted 1/2 the wage?
The difference is that two people in the same workplace are being paid significantly different amounts for the same level of performance and job attainment. If person "b" knew that person "a" was being paid much more, and they were of comparable job performance and also have similar years of service, then I doubt person "b" would be happy about it.

The reality of the situation is that statistically person "b" is a woman and person "a" is a man.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The difference is that two people in the same workplace are being paid significantly different amounts for the same level of performance and job attainment. If person "b" knew that person "a" was being paid much more, and they were of comparable job performance and also have similar years of service, then I doubt person "b" would be happy about it.

The reality of the situation is that statistically person "b" is a woman and person "a" is a man.
Everyone considers themselves as good if not better than their co-workers. The bill as written is nothing but a mess & unnecessary burden on employers

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Everyone considers themselves as good if not better than their co-workers. The bill as written is nothing but a mess & unnecessary burden on employers
What if we get rid of #2 from your original post?

#1 does not impose restrictions on any employer. It simply gives employees the freedom to share their wage and salary information without fear of punishment.

I'm sure it would still cause a burden on employers, probably because of an exodus of their employees due to uncovering the vast inequality in their wage structures.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Yeah, that right there is the number one problem in the United States, women making more than men for the same work.

Once again, SD, you've thwacked your way through the saw-grass and grasped the issue by the throat.

You're very talented that way. :D

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
What if we get rid of #2 from your original post?

#1 does not impose restrictions on any employer. It simply gives employees the freedom to share their wage and salary information without fear of punishment.

I'm sure it would still cause a burden on employers, probably because of an exodus of their employees due to uncovering the vast inequality in their wage structures.
hard to say how that would work. everyone knowing what the "other: guy makes is just a mess, if you agreed to work for "x" wages then get to work on EARNING a raise, not just be disgruntled because bobby makes $1 more than you bla, blah, blah.

----------

Informed voters can see through this pre-election FUD and 49 days from tomorrow the Republicans will regain the Senate.
you kidding right? this will bite the GOP in the butt.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
hard to say how that would work. everyone knowing what the "other: guy makes is just a mess, if you agreed to work for "x" wages then get to work on EARNING a raise, not just be disgruntled because bobby makes $1 more than you bla, blah, blah.

----------

you kidding right? this will bite the GOP in the butt.
So free speech is a mess?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Informed voters can see through this pre-election FUD and 49 days from tomorrow the Republicans will regain the Senate.
This is not something the GOP will want to be part of. A huge amount of GOP workers are on the lower scale of pay where every dollar is a factor.

When someone has been on the job 5 years and makes $12 an hour and a new hire jumps in making $15, it pisses people off big time and stinks of favortism, agism, sexism and racism in perception every time.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
The former idea is merely bad, but the latter is truly terrible. The trial lawyers are revving their engines for that sort of lawsuit fodder!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Yeah, that right there is the number one problem in the United States, women making more than men for the same work.

Once again, SD, you've thwacked your way through the saw-grass and grasped the issue by the throat.

You're very talented that way. :D
More personal attacks rather than talk about the subject. Salary negotiation is a serious subject. Do you think the burger flipper is paid differently because they are male or female? This entire concern is at the higher levels not the bottom. Salaries are negotiated. The more valuable you are to the company, the more than you are able to negotiate for your compensation.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
You have obviously not had to deal with this in your real life. It goes beyond gender gaps and in my experience it actually has more to do with males in lower paying jobs. I had to deal with this all the time with the kitchen staff at a restaurant we owned.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Equal pay for equal work is a legitimate moral viewpoint. The notion that an employer could retaliate against employees for sharing wage info smacks of don't question the boss. We'd rather keep you employees in the dark when it applies to our wage discrimination practices.