Payoffs to donors disguised as fiscal responsibility?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I was reading this article about a potential shut-down of the goverment, and the differences/similarities between 1995 and 2011, when I came to the quoted paragraphs. IMO, corporate sponsorship of the Republican party due to Citizens United has the potential to absolutely destroy our democracy. Is this really what the "average" guy who votes Republican wants?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is going to be a reckoning, but only after the country implodes. Maybe that will give average citizens incentive to rise off their fat asses.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It must be. When I've pointed out how much control Koch Industries has and their agenda, conservative posters either ignore it or say there's no problem with it. Not one has said they don't agree with the Koch control or agenda. I think they would rather be owned by an oil corporation than there be some government control.

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

There is a big difference between "too much regulation" and "too much regulation on the billionaires who fund the Republican campaigns."

Republicans insist that Democrats all want "too much regulation" and want to control every facet of your life, all while doing nothing but trying to dismantle the regulations that are "just enough regulation to prevent the billionaires who fund the Republican campaigns from killing us all."

I was watching the news, and there was a story about a chemical that Walmart is banning. PBST or something like that. The anchor asked why it was so hard to ban a chemical, and the answer was that it is incredibly difficult for the government to regulate the chemicals that are allowed in everyday products. The threshold for banning is virtually that you have to die if you touch it. So much for government power and over-regulation.

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If you even pose the question about banning a chemical, the "average" guy goes into a tizzy. They would rather not know the risks and use their children as guinea pigs than have any sort of government oversight.