PayPal Founder Peter Thiel Funded Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker lawsuit

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Guess you've never heard of SLAPP Lawsuits.
Of course I've heard of them, I just don't see how they apply in this case (I notice you didn't explain it). SLAPP suits are intended to prevent nuisance lawsuits where the person with deep pockets uses legal costs to keep his opponent from having a fair day in court.

Hogan won his suit so handily that the jury wanted to award him MORE than the $115 million they did give him. So obviously the trial didn't fit the SLAPP definition.
[doublepost=1464744471][/doublepost]
Where did I say that? My question assumes the circumstances are exactly identical except for substituting the names. Do you even understand the concept of a hypothetical question?
And do you understand why people don't like to fiddle with hypothetical questions? The person posing the question needs to be very clever so as to make the hypothetical fit the circumstances.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
And do you understand why people don't like to fiddle with hypothetical questions? The person posing the question needs to be very clever so as to make the hypothetical fit the circumstances.
No, actually it's not rocket science. The person receiving the hypothetical just needs basic comprehension and critical thinking skills. Plus a willingness to respond in good faith.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
No, actually it's not rocket science. The person receiving the hypothetical just needs basic comprehension and critical thinking skills. Plus a willingness to respond in good faith.
OK. So what if the guy who sued was Hulk Hogan, but he was secretly being funded by billionaire Bruce Wayne? And what if the company they were suing was reporter Clark Kent's day job, The Daily Planet?

What then?

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
OK. So what if the guy who sued was Hulk Hogan, but he was secretly being funded by billionaire Bruce Wayne? And what if the company they were suing was reporter Clark Kent's day job, The Daily Planet?

What then?
If all of those people were real I'd have a problem with it, just as I have a problem if you substitute Peter Thiel for Bruce Wayne and Gawker for The Daily Planet. That has consistently been my position.

Let me take your exact two sentences and ask:

OK. So what if the guy who sued was Hulk Hogan, but he was secretly being funded by billionaire George Soros? And what if the company they were suing was reporter Patrick Howley's day job, Brietbart.com?

What then?
(Just to paint by numbers for you, that's all I did in my original post way upthread. I substituted the names Soros and Breitbart in place of Thiel and Gawker into the same set of facts. It's not rocket science.)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
If all of those people were real I'd have a problem with it, just as I have a problem if you substitute Peter Thiel for Bruce Wayne and Gawker for The Daily Planet. That has consistently been my position.

OK. So what if the guy who sued was Hulk Hogan, but he was secretly being funded by billionaire George Soros? And what if the company they were suing was reporter Patrick Howley's day job, Brietbart.com?

What then?
(Just to paint by numbers for you, that's all I did in my original post way upthread. I substituted the names Soros and Breitbart in place of Thiel and Gawker into the same set of facts. It's not rocket science.)
If Soros quietly pays for Kane's lawsuit against Breitbart, and as in this case, appears to have had no authority over the legal case being presented, who cares?

I suspect some righties will get upset like some of the lefties here (although I'm not clear why anybody, left or right l, would love Gawker or care about Thiel), but they would be just as wrong.

Changing the facts to appeal to emotion is great in the political sphere, and can even play well with a jury, but should have no effect on jurisprudence.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

What then?
Oh my! Evidently it's impossible to illustrate for you just how silly hypothetical questions are.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Oh my! Evidently it's impossible to illustrate for you just how silly hypothetical questions are.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:x~

( Forum rules require that I actually write something here but there really are no words to say about something so deliberately, proudly ignorant.)