Paypal protection question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, Oct 3, 2012.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

So I listed the 4S.

As always my listing settings include no shipping outside the US, pay by paypal and a couple of other things.

These things prevent a person from even bidding on the item.

Well someone got around it by having a US address, paid for the item, but want me to send the item to eastern europe (and they'll pay the extra)

But there is no buyer (or seller) protection unless it goes to the confirmed address.

thoughts?

(they do have 100% feedback)

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

ONLY way Paypal will protect you is if you send it to the account address. Sending to the eastern block would be out of the question for me. Go to the buyer and tell them it is going to the Paypal address or you will have to refund his money. If Paypal say OK to ship, they mean it is only ok if you send to the US address.

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

As a longtime ebay seller with 5000+ positive feedback, never EVER send to an address that is not the verified address on the PayPal account. You will lose all protections and you are setting yourself up for a scam. Do a refund of the payment and tell the buyer you specifically stated no non-US sales. File with ebay for violation of terms of the auction so you can have that persons win invalidated and then they can't post a negative on you.

Often, even the address on the PayPal account isn't verified which will kill protections as well. They do notify you though if the shipping address on file isn't verified.

4. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Tell the person you can only shipped to the confirmed address through PayPal. Then if they say it's ok to ship to the confirmed address, insure the package and make sure you have signature confirmation!!!

PayPal rep told me once that even though their site says you are protected if you ship with delivery confirmation you will not be protected because the buyer can say they never got it, so that way if they sign for it you are covered. Also take pictures of it being packaged and then a pic of it in the box with the address showing. I always do this when selling phones for extra insurance in case they try to say box was empty etc.

If this person insists you ship to another address, don't do it! PayPal will not protect you!

5. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

They used the Buy It Now option and I listed that shipping would be included with that.

So their only extra would be the cost to go from their confirmed address to their current location.

But they say they're not there, etc.

I'm waiting for one more response then I'll likely refund the money.

And thanks for the tip about invalidating the sale; I was wondering how to prevent unwarranted neg fb.

6. articulatefool macrumors regular

1. Issue a refund and re-list.

2. NEVER sell outside of the USA... Way too risky for marginal gain.

3. Put in very bold letters that anybody requesting shipping outside of the USA will not get the phone.

4. Only ship to confirmed addresses; otherwise, you won't be protected.

5. Make insurance and tracking mandatory for shipping.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In addition to including photograph evidence of packing, I would also use signed delivery confirmation.

Wise move not to send the phone out of the country.