PB G4 Kernal Panic on start up + fan spinning at max RPM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Albal, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Albal macrumors member

Hi,

My early 05 PowerBook G4 1.67 17" 10.4.11 1GB Standard RAM and Standard HD is Panicking on startup.

I've tried the command option P + R and I've tried holding powerbutton when it is off with no battery. It just keeps panicking.

Today, I tried to turn it on connected to mains with battery and keeping the powerbutton held. This resulted in the fans spinning up to max for several seconds, a loud beeping sound followed by the sleep indicator light flashing The start up chime then happened, and it proceeded to kernal panic.

I got it to start up one time. There was no airport in the menu bar and the system got gradually slower and slower over a 30 minute period. I managed to get it to restart in firewire mode by selecting this option in the system preferences pane. But booting from fresh holding T does not provoke the same response from the computer.

I am assuming it is the airport card that has given up the ghost...?

I read somewhere about a safe mode or something about fsck? What is that and how do I get there?

Thanks for any help or suggestions that people might be able to come up with

2. Albal thread starter macrumors member

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well if the airport card was giving you signs that it wasn't working, did you try removing it to see if that was indeed causing the kernel panics?

I think the 1.67 had a shared BT/AP card and they have been known to just the AP side die and cause all kinds of trouble.

Look here for a guide in removing your AP card. If that is the problem, it's just a $20 fix. Good luck.