PB G4: Please Advise: To fix or sell parts and buy MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kah, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kah macrumors newbie

Hi!

So... (here's the funny part) I accidentally ran over my 17" powerbook G4 (1.67 GHz, 2G memory). The display looks like a work of modern art and the case is warped. However, the internals seem to be functioning just fine. I'm using it as I type, hooked up to an external monitor.

I see my options as follows:

• Buy a display and fix it myself, leave the warped casing as is since it doesn't impede functionality.

• Sell it for parts (as far as I know, all internals are fine, but the problem is that I'm not sure how I would determine that for certain, other than the fact that no problems have made their existence known to me thus far).

• Either way, I'm considering investing in a macbook... quite tempting, but pricey compared to the option of just replacing the display.

Any input is appreciated, or if anyone happens to know what the going rate might be for selling the guts of the machine, assuming everything is fine internally.

Cheers!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If is a high resolution model the displays aren't cheap. I would suggest you sell it on eBay and use that money for your next machine. Here is an example of one that sold with a bad display.

Link

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sell it; not worth investing in old technology. Use the money you get back toward a refurb.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sell it as a whole unit for parts - it will save you a lot of hassle parting it out and shipping pieces everywhere.

5. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

yup,.... you just dont know what problems will arise in the future with it since you have no way of knowing what was further damaged that you cant see...

6. EB66 macrumors 6502

just out of curiosity how did you manage to run you powerbook over?

7. kah thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the responses! Thanks, guys. Any tips on listing it on ebay? Is anyone really going to want to buy it for parts without knowing how damaged it is (even though it still seems to function perfectly...)?

I was leaving a friend's house, went out to the car and realized I had forgotten my keys. I set my backpack (containing laptop) next to the car. I vaguely remember thinking, "Hmm, is this a good idea? I hope one of the neighbors won't grab it." By the time I had gotten my keys and come back out, I had forgotten I had set my backpack next to the car. It wasn't until I got home that I realized my backpack was missing and I started to piece together leaving it next to the car/strange crunching noises as I backed out of the parking lot...

...Granted, I also had a lot on my mind at the time.

8. kah thread starter macrumors newbie

9. kah thread starter macrumors newbie