Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2003
On my PB1.25 I'm using the factory installed 512 mem. Since Crucial recently released their 1gb module Crucial
I'm thinking about upgrading. My thinking is to get (1) 1gb module and see how it affects performance before committing to additional memory. Any ideas? Thanks.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
$500 thats is alot of money for two of those you could ge an Ibook or Emac, I cant justify spending that much extra on something already that expensive, but I guess you are

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by snofseth
$500 thats is alot of money for two of those you could ge an Ibook or Emac, I cant justify spending that much extra on something already that expensive, but I guess you are

Maybe I'm totally missing something here, but why would one want to get an iBook instead of an already faster Powerbook?

If you're doing any kind of image editing 512MB in the powerbook is definitely not enough (I found that out the other day) -- spending the money on a second computer instead of memory would just mean you now have two computers that aren't up to the task.

Again, or am I totally missing something here? :confused:

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by stcanard
Again, or am I totally missing something here? :confused:

Yes. What he was saying is that for not much more you could get a full computer, CPU, RAM, HDD, Screen (expensive), keyboard, mouse, software, cables, extras etc etc

-OR-

You could get a tiny piece of fibreglass with some black chips on it :)

Technically if you linked the two computers together you could get better performance than upgrading the RAM, but feasibly...

AppleMatt

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Yes. What he was saying is that for not much more you could get a full computer, CPU, RAM, HDD, Screen (expensive), keyboard, mouse, software, cables, extras etc etc

-OR-

You could get a tiny piece of fibreglass with some black chips on it :)

Well, if you want to put it that way several years ago we hit the point where silicon was more expensive per ounce than platinum.

At least it was if you bought the silicon from Intel.

So why don't we just trade our computers in and go get some big diamond rings.

Oops, I'd better get this off my screen before my girlfriend gets any idea... ;)

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
UK
Kangaroo: You're not really asking a question are you?

If your personal cost benefit analysis is in favour of purchasing a 1GB stick for >$500 dollars then you will.

Otherwise you won't.

For myself I have just purchased 2 x 512MB sticks from Crucial and installed them today. When I ordered my PowerBook I told myself that I didn't need 1GB and that I would stick to 512MB or upgrade to 768MB.
If I had planned going to 1GB then I would have got the single 512MB stick as BTO.

(this is really dull :)

Happy Christmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.