PC At It's Finest - "Hard Worker"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by A.Goldberg, Nov 1, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

And this is why I cannot watch the news...

According to MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry, the term "hard worker" is an offensive term. I understand her point that "hard work" is subjective, but in my opinion, it's common vernacular. Aguilar was clearly referring to Paul Ryan relative to other Washington politicians... not the world as a whole.

Alfonzo Aguilar's face is priceless... I'm not debating Harris-Perry's or Aguilar's political comments, or deny people experience different advantages or disadvantages in life, I am only looking to highlight the ridiculous nature of the ever expanding lexicon of politically incorrect terms.

I'm pondering her use of "folks working in cotton fields" versus "slaves"... is it also offensive to use the word slaves now? In the context of "relative privilege", I don't think it is fair to equate single mothers to African American slaves-- or demand the term "hard worker" is more applicable for one group than another.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...s-melissa-harris-perry-redefines-hard-worker/
    Excerpt:

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The divisiveness, anger, and outrage caused as a result of a leader that tells far fetched stories to the citizens of the USA, is an example of the lengths he'll go to in order to achieve some very detrimental objectives.

3. mgguy, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What specifically are you talking about?

To Melissa Harris-Perry: What a load of hysterical liberal twaddle.

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

An authentic Centrist, I follow both political parties very closely daily. It's just a comment which unless read by one as diligent as some of us are, it's hard to briefly answer your question.

Besides as the wicked fiercely manipulative HRC would say: "what difference does it make"

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As an authentic centerist how many times have you voted for the Democratic Party in the last 20 years and how many times have you voted for the Republican Party?

Political correctness gone mad.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The world would be such a better place if people spent less time being so easily riled over talking heads in the media.

7. thekev, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

"Hard worker" isn't used as a euphemism here, and it doesn't enable derogatory statements. I don't understand her issue here.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

When I read this I thought that it was satire.

This is like a Newspeak from 1984. It’s a classical case of PC madness, which is in danger of undermining the all the good work of 30 years.

The general idea about PC was IMO a good one when it first started, nearly 30 years ago. Getting the general public to realise that some words were causing offense, and some words were downright discriminatory.

9. vrDrew, Nov 2, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think that is what she said.

She was referring to recently elected House Speaker Paul Ryan. Who made a point of saying he would only do the job if he could spend a certain amount of time with his family back in Janesville, Wisconsin.

Fair enough.

But this is the same Paul Ryan that consistently votes against any sort of legal protections for workers ("hard workers" or otherwise) that would allow them to spend time with their families. Ryan has consistently voted against any sort of family and medical leave provisions, against any sort of increase in the minimum wage, or provision for basic health insurance (the dreaded Obamacare) that would let these "hard workers" go to the Doctor when they get sick.

Its not just MSNBC that has noted this inconsistency.

Paul Ryan talking out his entitled ass. Apparently "work life balance" is something only people like him are entitled to.

I'm sure Speaker Ryan does work hard at his job. But I would have a lot more respect for him in that role if he would acknowledge the tens of millions of other hard-working Americans who - thanks to his party's intransigence - lack access to even the most basic workplace protections and benefits.

Political Correctness is one thing. But that was not the point Melissa Harris-Perry was trying to make. Sorry if you missed that.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly whenever I hear a politician say 'hard-working taxpayers', I immediately come to the conclusion they're trying to rile the voters into a mean-spirited short-sighted selfishness which allows the politicians to pass laws that favour the rich.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Issue is: her time of the month ...

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Donald Trump approved this post :p

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think his point is we surly don't need yet another entitlement program or more gov't support for the people. In terms of going to the doctor when they are sick, how about using a "sick day" or if you're out, "vacation time" like everyone else.

The Fed Gov't is way too big already. They really have no place in as much as they are in already.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Remember that video from the Bush years when he's talking to a woman who just said she took on a third job to make ends meet to support her family, and Bush's response was, "that's fantastic" or something like that?

That's what Perry is talking about.

Add to that, that if that women gets any government assistance, she'd be considered a "taker" in the eyes of conservatives.

That is what Perry is talking about.

And you people want to complain about "PC madness"?

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not sure of your point. People make choices and the third job thing is just perhaps what her choices have yielded her to have to do I suppose. It is fantastic that she's doing what needs done to make ends meet. She's no harder of a worker than Paul Ryan. In the end working hard doesn't earn you a special privilege either.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You and George Bush are like twins.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

What's wrong with his comment? She's working hard and doing what she needs to do to support her family and the choices she's made. You have a problem with that? Does she or anyone else deserve some special trophy for that? It's called life. I have four jobs, am I special because of it?

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, a complete load of crap.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd say that you are a hard worker, but unless one of those jobs is picking cotton I can't do that according to Melissa Harris-Perry.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

People like her playing the slavery card some 150yrs later is pathetic.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

When you get down to the base of it, it's that america's failure of an economic system now requires many people to take on two or three jobs just in order to make enough to support themselves. This was rarely necessary 50 years ago. You also didn't have almost always both parents working then, either. And it's not because people have gotten lazier or can't work like they used to. Some 40% of people make less than a minimum wage job 50 years ago. It's because they don't get paid nearly what they used to (minimum was is down a whopping 40% from 47 years ago).

When a company isn't doing well and cuts the wages of its employees, it doesn't suddenly mean that employee just isn't as good as they were before. It's because they got screwed by the process. And americans have been screwed by the process. We've raised the wages of the upper levels by multitudes for no apparent reason, and cut the wages of the lower levels to fund it. That's the system.

As far as your "four jobs", I highly doubt they are anything you are doing in order to survive, since you have that fancy successful lawyer wife. They're probably little side businesses, like my rental business which just provides extra income, but doesn't involve me doing anything more than I do at my normal job.

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Seriously, her taking exception to the term hard worker is about as silly as this thread. People getting their panties in a bunch about foolishness.

23. Happybunny, Nov 2, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

But didn’t you also work for this BIG government, did your dislike for it start then, or after?

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is entirely true. But it is after all, the basis of PRSI.

I don't mind EHP's comments, so much as the context where they were delivered. I don't think she needed to veer off-topic for lesson on what constitutes hard work. Paul Ryan may very well (and probably does) work very hard. We don't need to take that away from him, or attempt to put that effort into historical perspective—that's a personal agenda that comes off as unnecessary politically correctness.

Her guests were there to talk about Ryan, and now they're supposed to put it in context of slavery? That's MHP's bad. That kind of comment and context would be better presented as a separate commentary, where she can spend time weaving the narrative that illustrates her point, instead of hijacking a conversation between five people sitting in the studio.

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Melissa Harris-Perry utters outrageously stupid comments to get people talking about her and her network. It seems to work.