PC EVGA 285 GTX working out of the box with Vista Ultimate 64bit via bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aeroplace, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Aeroplace macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an early Mac Pro 2008 with a Mac EVGA 8800 GT installed.
    I rarely run OSX only Vista Ultimate 64bit via Bootcamp.
    I am thinking about getting the EVGA 285 GTX upgrade for the system.
    The price for the Mac version compared to the PC version is 200%!

Questions:

- Can I just buy a PC EVGA 285 GTX and install it next to my Mac EVGA 8800 GT?

- Do I have enough slots and power to run both cards at the same time?

- Do I need any kind of special modification of the PC EVGA 285 GTX to run inside Vista Ultimate 64bit via bootcamp?

I hope to be able to save money and have both cards installed at the same time: One for boot selection / OSX and one for 3d performance in Vista when needed.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You need a second power supply, inserted in the second ODD bay.

Either that or a 4-pin molex to dual 6-pin splitter.

3. Aeroplace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

- If I get either the 4-pin molex or the dual 6-pin splitter will it work as a normal video card when inside Vista Ultimate 64bit?

- Are there no other modifications, injections or anything needed?

If it just works then it sounds like a lot of money saved on just getting a PC EVGA 285 GTX and a power cable!

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're just going to need the power cable adapters for the video card.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sure, it'll be fine.

Well, you can get the netkas injector to allow the card to be recognized and run in OS X without flashing it if you'd like.

I HAVE the thing, but I don't have any applicable cards, but if it's netkas, it's awesome.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Netkas injectors!? I thought I was cool. :(

Either that or flash it for OS X.

7. Aeroplace thread starter macrumors newbie

This sounds to good to be true!

I was a bit confused when reading all the post about the EFI 32/64 Roms, injektions and such. I guess this kind of modification only applies for getting the card to be recognized inside OSX?

- Can anyone please confirm to be running a PC EVGA 285 GTX troublefree and perfectly inside Vista Ultimate 64bit via Bootcamp?

I just want to make absolutely sure that it works before I start ordering the PC version. :)

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He posted it here; if I can find it, I'll link it.

Edit: Boom, baby.

Vista will see it with no modifications. Download and install that injector in OS X, and you'll be able to use it there, too.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have netkas on my buddy list and I try to follow their site even if I don't have a Mac Pro. It's something worth knowing about.

Sadly one of the few beauties of Windows is the hardware support.

10. Aeroplace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replys!

Looks like I will be ordering a PC EVGA 285 GTX very soon! As long as it works for Vista Ultimate 64bit I am happy. I'll probably look into that netkas if I need it recognized in OSX as well.

- Anyone seen a guide on how to install the 4-pin molex to dual 6-pin splitter?

- Anyone know a good place to get such a splitter?

- Is a splitter really going to provide enough power to both cards?

Getting really excited about this upgrade... :)

11. MacVidCards Suspended

Bust open your piggy bank and spend $12 each for proper power cables.

DO a search for "ATI G5 X1900" and you will find them at ATI store.
    Others have posted links to places for Europe.

Once you have maxed out and got 2 cables, grabbing a little more juice from Optical bays/SATA power is less of a drag on system

12. Aeroplace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys and the help!

Looking at the prices for PC EVGA 285 GTX the cost for 1GB and 2GB is almost identical.

- Now that I have been told that hardware just works nativly as on any PC when running Vista Ultimate 64bit via Bootcamp, can I buy the 2GB or even get a PC EVGA 295 GTX?

- Also, Could I actually take out the Mac EVGA 8800 GT and just use the PC EVGA 285 GTX because I only run Vista Ultimate 64bit? (Swapping it with the Mac EVGA 8800 GT whenever I need to boot to OSX, which only happens every 6 months or so. )

- If just running the PC EVGA 285 GTX would I still need the extra power cable mentioned before or will everything be ready to go?

- Even better, can I have both cards installed in the system and just switch power cables / DVI connections when needed?

- Eg. can I safely have video card A placed in slot 1 unpowered while using video card B powered in slot 2?

Btw my Mac EVGA 8800 GT is getting extremely noisy which is part of the reason I want to upgrade. When ever the 8800 is under load the fan spins up till 100% fan speed. Tryed getting Apple to replace it under my warrenty but they told me that I would have to bring in the unit for inspection. Here that normally takes 2 weeks! No videocard for 2 weeks is no go! I wish Apple Care was more like Dell Support in that respect.

13. MacVidCards Suspended

Since you have a 2008 Mac Pro, I would suggest that you just pony up for the REAL Mac GTX285.

It will come with cables and work in BOTH OS's, right out of the box.

You can save $100 by getting a PC one, but then you need to deal with getting power cables/splitters and have a messy setup sooner or later.

As far as 8800GT being noisy...blow compressed air BACKWARDS through fan. (end of fins TOWARD the fan itself) I have opened these up and found the front face of radiator completely covered in dust, such that to acheive desired cooling the fan has to spin MUCH faster.

14. Aeroplace thread starter macrumors newbie