PC Forum's view of the OSX emulator


Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
Why did I bother...

...reading that whole linked thread?

'reamed' ?
'not as good as windows' !?

Better stay over here where it's cosy and warm...
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
You can just open up a JPG of an OSX desktop. It will give you the same functionality

Don't you just love how some PC users think? :rolleyes:


OS X is more expensive than Windows XP....
Now the last I checked OS X 10.3 cost $129 and Windows XP was like 200 or so. Am I right? :confused:
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,678
1,183
New Zealand
CherryOS would allow OS X to run on a cheap commodity PC without the added expense of Microsoft's operating system
I thought you needed Windows in order to run CherryOS :confused: (ie. I thought it was a Windows app).
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
Nermal said:
I thought you needed Windows in order to run CherryOS :confused: (ie. I thought it was a Windows app).
I beleive the developers mentioned they were trying to make a version that did not rely on Windows, just hardware. I cannot elaborate or substantiate, which seems appropriate when talking about CherryOS.

It all seems highly suspect...
 

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
633
0
United States
Ugh! Some of the people on that forum are so ignorant! They think that Apple charges for updates when Windows doesn't. It's just that Apple doesn't take 7 years to crate a new OS! And then when Windows is updated (like SP2) it messes up programs (the reason I still haven't installed it on my PC).

I hate reading those types of forums - why do I keep tormenting myself? :p

JOD8FY
 

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
1,546
0
Washington
can we ppllleeease all go over there and ream them? I mean, just go show them how horribly wrong they are? pretty please? come on guys...it'd be fun...honest...
Plus, it's not our forum :D

Tyler
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Earendil said:
can we ppllleeease all go over there and ream them? I mean, just go show them how horribly wrong they are? pretty please? come on guys...it'd be fun...honest...
Plus, it's not our forum :D

Tyler
I gave up doing that when a massive online mob virtually committed assault and battery against me and left me to virtually die against a virtual pole in a virtual town square.

Some die-hard PC users...careful of them.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
tech4all said:
Now the last I checked OS X 10.3 cost $129 and Windows XP was like 200 or so. Am I right? :confused:
But Windows users don't buy software, only blank CD/DVDs. ;)

So OS X is more expensive for them. :D
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
Sun Baked said:
But Windows users don't buy software, only blank CD/DVDs. ;)

So OS X is more expensive for them. :D

Good point :D Let me rephrase my question then, OS X cost less legally than XP.


Apple Hobo said:
Bahahahaha! What a bunch of stupid effing n00bs. It's not even worth arguing with these idiots because they are so ignorant.
I think most people who put down Macs are indeed ignorant about Macs. They just don't know the truth about Macs and make comments based on what other people tell them (which may or may not be wrong), or make comments on Macs they used 10 years ago in elementry school. They may not even realize what Apple has out NOW. Macs have that stereotype that they are compatible with anything or are slow compared to PC proccessors (Mhz myth). I just wish people would do some research or something to learn the real truth about Macs and OS X.


person from PC board said:
Who in their right mind would want anything to do with OS X?
ME and everyone else here. I think that should say, "Who in their right or left mind would want anything to with Windows?" Ahhhh much better.

Sorry but I just get REALLY defensive and ticked off when people put down Macs. :mad: :eek: (I mean seriously, I my heart starts beating fast and my palms get sweaty - not kidding)


EDIT:

PC user said:
Apple has come a long way but is still crap in the long run. I work in a mixed environment with macs and windows, and windows is by far better. The new mac os is pretty nice, but the hardware just sucks. Way too slow. I work with imacs, emacs, ibooks, g5 towers, and really the only one that will run nice is the g5, with a good amount of memory. The good move by apple was switching to the unix core, but they still have a lot of work to do.
I know I should respect people's opinions but that just makes me laugh. To me it's EXACTLY the oppiste for me. That thread (and forum) makes me laugh at all the problems posted. I mean I know Macs aren't perfect and we have a share of problems, but someone posted about a problem with Norton AV. Lucky for us we don't need NAV cause we don't got any viruses.
 

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
2,284
0
Alta, Norway
Apple Hobo said:
Bahahahaha! What a bunch of stupid effing n00bs. It's not even worth arguing with these idiots because they are so ignorant.
Right, whatever. I don't see what's so awful about that thread. Sure, there's some ignorant and wrong statements in the linked thread, but you get a lot of that in these forums too.
 

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
1,657
0
Maryland
dubbz said:
Right, whatever. I don't see what's so awful about that thread. Sure, there's some ignorant and wrong statements in the linked thread, but you get a lot of that in these forums too.
That's an understatement. How many Mac users are lvl-headed when they talk about PC's? I actually know most of their names cuz they're the only ones that defended me in the threads I used to post here (back in '03 haha)--even though I actually spent quite a bit of time on G5's and my iBook.

You also have to remember that forums these days can have the "12 year olds" syndrome. In a sense, I would hope more forums would restrict access to reduce this problem, but you would be suprised the amount of fanboyism (AMD/Intel, Nvidia/AMD, Apple/PC) that can occur--even with older posters too.

I could spend my time linking the amount of FUD spread by too many Apple sites out there, but I don't do that anymore. FUD goes both ways, i guess its just ignoring the static in the end, if you will.
 

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
tech4all said:
I think most people who put down Macs are indeed ignorant about Macs. They just don't know the truth about Macs and make comments based on what other people tell them (which may or may not be wrong), or make comments on Macs they used 10 years ago in elementry school. They may not even realize what Apple has out NOW. Macs have that stereotype that they are compatible with anything or are slow compared to PC proccessors (Mhz myth). I just wish people would do some research or something to learn the real truth about Macs and OS X.
IMO, that's a valid point. I guess there are a lot of PC users who had some experience with a Mac years ago. They haven't realised yet that OS X is so much different from OS 8/9. I once worked on PM 8100 and on a B&W PM running 7.6 and 8.1 respectively. While I admired the hardware (especially the B&W), I just never really liked the OS for some reason. However, I love Panther, it's by far the best OS I've ever used.
 

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
1,507
55
DFW, TX, USA
tech4all said:
Now the last I checked OS X 10.3 cost $129 and Windows XP was like 200 or so. Am I right? :confused:
Actually, you can get XP home for $99 or XP Pro for $149 at Fry's Electronics (maybe less via mailorder). It's the "OEM" version so you have to buy it with some other piece of hardware, but a USB hub or IDE cable would probably satisfy that requirement.

(No, that's not an upgrade version either)
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Could someone post a link to this thread on that website? Now, that way we could start a web-war with another website...could get messy... :rolleyes:
 

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
874
1
Berkeley, California
I was actually quite surprised with the number of people who were defending macs in that thread. Sure there were a lot of people who were complete idiots and such, but considering my experiences with PC users (ie: all of my friends), I would have thought that 95% of the posts would be explaining the various reasons that Macs and Apple in general suck. However, I was particularly entertained by the post that said
Apple has come a long way but is still crap in the long run. I work in a mixed environment with macs and windows, and windows is by far better. The new mac os is pretty nice, but the hardware just sucks.
Reading that PC's are better in the long run really cracked me up. As far as I know, the vast majority of PC's HAVE to be replaced within three years of having been bought, whereas the computer I'm on now (not my normal one) is 3.5 years old or so, and going VERY strong.
 

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
156
0
comictimes said:
As far as I know, the vast majority of PC's HAVE to be replaced within three years of having been bought, whereas the computer I'm on now (not my normal one) is 3.5 years old or so, and going VERY strong.
It's not my experience that PC:s have to be replaced within 3 years. Therefore, it would be good to see some hard stats in this area. (It's another thing that PC:s do get replaced more frequently then macs, as they are

a) cheaper (to purchase / if you are knowledgeable - if you count time spent purging the boxes of clueless PC users, the number does go up a lot...)

and

b) used to run games to a greater extent
 

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
i started reading the last few posts in the thread before reading the beginning and forgot wtf this thread was about. imho the mac os x emulator business is a bad idea, however i also think windows emulation is a bad idea. different architectures were designed to run different software and should stay that way. i dont like it but i'm no tbashing macs.