Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Well, I went out and bought a 20 GB iPod for my father for Xmas. However, I am VERY very disappointed. It was working great at first, I encoded some CDs for him and all was swell. Anyhow I then encoded our entire Lord of the Rings CD set and was going to transfer them to the iPod when I plugged in the iPod and the icon showed up on the desktop but the icon didn't show up on iTunes. Very strange I thought to myself, so I logged out, restarted, did everything conceivable but no luck: iTunes doesn't recognize it, but the Finder does. It has the latest software and I ahve the most recent version of iTunes and 10.2.3. I am VERY pissed off, especially becuase it worked well and then didn't, and I don't know what to do. This is a PC iPod, not a Mac one, so I'm not sure if that's a problem or not (although I remember reading an article here a little while ago about there being no side effect of having a PC iPod on your Mac) Anyhow, suggestions are welcome!!!!!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I think the iPod's hard drive is formated differently for PC's. Try eraseing or reformating the drive. I don't know how you would do this. I today have become a pround iPod owner, I got it for Christmas :D I hope I helped. Maybe Disc Utility could help. I dunno Good Luck :)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
hmmm, well, i can't imagine why it worked and then didn't, i can however suggest that if you only want to use it with itunes this solve your problems undoubtedly by making your ipod a mac version.

i am guessing however that you got a windows ipod so you can use it with a windows computer? (why else???) although it should work with your mac, i would suggest *ahem* using a windows computer....

if you want to use with both, maybe someone can suggest a battle plan for restoring functionality on itunes, retaining the fat32 file system.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Use disk utility to format this to a hfs+ format. then download the ipod updater and updtate your ipod to 1.2.1. this shoud take care of all your problems.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.