PC Mag review of retina iMac - "isn't just good, it's overwhelming"

ddarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2007
PC Magazine has always liked the iMac but they really really like the retina iMac. They tested the base config with 8gb of memory and 2gb m290x and said it benchmarked pretty well with Photoshop. Even gaming was ok.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470667,00.asp

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
That's great to hear. Still going to wait for next year and try to squeeze every bit of life from my 2009 iMac, but that's promising for Broadwell/Skylake.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm surprised that video card performed as well as it did especially in games. Sure the FPS wasn't great in Ultra but that is the base video card and didn't score too far off from the MSI system that has a GTX 880m in it.

And bam... "As such, it's our new Editors' Choice for high-end all-in-one desktops."

(and the discussion about touch... really... you have a 5k screen and your desire is to put fingerprints on it? I guess PC mag readers like touch)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm going to assume they ran those benchmarks in OS X. Given other games on OS X vs Windows, the Windows performance of the 5K iMac will be SIGNIFICANTLY higher. OS X is not a gaming OS. It can run games, sure, but Windows is where the frames per second lie.

metanoiapi

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
I noticed a con in that review: "Loses the monitor functionality of other iMacs"

What does that even mean?? lol

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I noticed a con in that review: "Loses the monitor functionality of other iMacs"

What does that even mean?? lol

Other iMacs can be used as a display rather than a computer. The way they built the retina, it can't be.

eqc6

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
I was gonna wait to see for myself in person first but after reading these reviews I think I should just go for it.

As a UI designer who uses photoshop CC most of the time, it's really tempting. I also do some front-end coding and I can only imagine how many lines of code I can view on this retina screen next to multiple browser windows for testing :D

metanoiapi

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Other iMacs can be used as a display rather than a computer. The way they built the retina, it can't be.
OH I see! thanks for that. Well then why didn't they just SAY that then?? Loses the monitor functionality of other iMacs." could mean anything.

Ya, it blows them way out of the water!

----------

I was gonna wait to see for myself in person first but after reading these reviews I think I should just go for it.

As a UI designer who uses photoshop CC most of the time, it's really tempting. I also do some front-end coding and I can only imagine how many lines of code I can view on this retina screen next to multiple browser windows for testing :D
Oh, wow you're a coder?!?

That's so cool! :cool:

::bows the dev g-ds ::

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
So far, no reviews of a top option model, but all of the first few are gushing over the screen.