PC Mag review of retina iMac - "isn't just good, it's overwhelming"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ddarko, Oct 20, 2014.

1. ddarko macrumors 6502

PC Magazine has always liked the iMac but they really really like the retina iMac. They tested the base config with 8gb of memory and 2gb m290x and said it benchmarked pretty well with Photoshop. Even gaming was ok.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470667,00.asp

2. Liffey macrumors regular

That's great to hear. Still going to wait for next year and try to squeeze every bit of life from my 2009 iMac, but that's promising for Broadwell/Skylake.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm surprised that video card performed as well as it did especially in games. Sure the FPS wasn't great in Ultra but that is the base video card and didn't score too far off from the MSI system that has a GTX 880m in it.

And bam... "As such, it's our new Editors' Choice for high-end all-in-one desktops."

(and the discussion about touch... really... you have a 5k screen and your desire is to put fingerprints on it? I guess PC mag readers like touch)

4. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Man.. when they said this represents 30 years of Mac they meant it!

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm going to assume they ran those benchmarks in OS X. Given other games on OS X vs Windows, the Windows performance of the 5K iMac will be SIGNIFICANTLY higher. OS X is not a gaming OS. It can run games, sure, but Windows is where the frames per second lie.

6. metanoiapi macrumors member

I noticed a con in that review: "Loses the monitor functionality of other iMacs"

What does that even mean?? lol

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Other iMacs can be used as a display rather than a computer. The way they built the retina, it can't be.

8. eqc6 macrumors newbie

I was gonna wait to see for myself in person first but after reading these reviews I think I should just go for it.

As a UI designer who uses photoshop CC most of the time, it's really tempting. I also do some front-end coding and I can only imagine how many lines of code I can view on this retina screen next to multiple browser windows for testing :D

9. metanoiapi macrumors member

OH I see! thanks for that. Well then why didn't they just SAY that then?? Loses the monitor functionality of other iMacs." could mean anything.

Ya, it blows them way out of the water!

----------

Oh, wow you're a coder?!?

That's so cool! :cool:

::bows the dev g-ds ::

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It loses Target Display Mode.

11. thedeske macrumors 6502a

So far, no reviews of a top option model, but all of the first few are gushing over the screen.