PC rental company installs webcam spy software on computers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, May 5, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Aaron's, a rental company i've never heard of but apparently is huge, is now being sued. They put spy software on computers they've been renting out and it tracks keystroked and takes pictures of people using the computers. A manager showed up to the couples door to repossess the computer mistakingly, and when the husband showed him a signed receipt to prove him wrong, the manager showed the man a picture of himself using the computer (not sure why). I think this couple has a hell of a lawsuit. Opinions?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110504/ap_on_re_us/us_rental_computer_spyware

2. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

What the hell? How stupid is that manager? Proving to someone that you're spying on them!?!!?

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Depends on what is in the rental contract.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

A contract can't take away your rights. I thought the sony rootkit was bad, this should be interesting.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

A contract does not "take away" your rights. But you may surrender rights under the terms of a contract, limited by considerations of public policy.

6. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

7. ehoui macrumors regular

I don't think Aaron's will be wanting to win a lawsuit on those terms.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

They, like any other litigant, wouldn't care how they won as long as they won. If the renter is on notice that Aaron's can record activity on a rented computer, and agrees to the contract, Aaron's is almost certain to win. If Aaron's had not disclosed that, then the renter could win--but note the renter would still need to prove damages.

9. ehoui macrumors regular

I'm not arguing they wouldn't win. I'm arguing that their reputation would suffer winning that way.

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

They already have a bad reputation as far as I'm concerned. They take advantage of the uneducated poor.

11. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I don't know if you have a Rent-A-Center but they are like that. We have two stores here in Erie and they rent out furniture, TVs and, computers for rent to own or just for rent with no credit check. You can also buy from them flat out but their prices are really high for stuff (at least that's what I've been told. I don't think that rent to own is worth it. :/ )

Hugh

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Places like that prey on the inability of some members of the underclass to make good choices. For some people, however, the only way to be able to afford a 50" 1080p super-duper TV is to go the rent-to-own route and eventually pay roughly double MSRP.

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You are mistaken if you think Aaron's customer base would care--or even know. Accordingly, their reputation would not suffer.