pc to mac - firewire question

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
138
0
Alright, at the moment I've got a 1ghz Dell laptop (inspiron 8000), and I'll be getting an 800mhz iBook in the next few days. I'm trying to figure out how to transfer files between the two, and I've already thought about using AIM, FTP, or my external firewire drive, but I have an idea.

Would it be possible to use a 4-pin (the dell's firewire port is 4-pin) to 6-pin firewire cable to connect the two computers, then use either the dell or the ibook as a firewire HD, so I could then easily move files between the two? If so, how would I do this?

Thanks, Andrew
 

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
74
0
UK
I use my OS 10.2 Desktop Mac and a Sony Vaio running XP Pro connected across my home 100 Base-T Network, I'm able to move files around no problem with this setup.

You could achieve the same thing with a simple cross over cable linking the two network ports (I presume the PC has an ethernet port btw).

Not sure about the firewire option though, maybe someone else can offer advice here?

Rich
 

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
619
3
at the end of the hall
no crossover needed...

Originally posted by Sepulchre
I use my OS 10.2 Desktop Mac and a Sony Vaio running XP Pro connected across my home 100 Base-T Network, I'm able to move files around no problem with this setup.

You could achieve the same thing with a simple cross over cable linking the two network ports (I presume the PC has an ethernet port btw).

Not sure about the firewire option though, maybe someone else can offer advice here?

Rich
The PowerBook has a sensing Ethernet port, which allows it to know if it is on a switch or hub, or just plugged into another computer. If you take any old Cat5 cable and plug it into the PB and the PC, you should be able to directly network with little problems. Otherwise, use a home network and you will be golden as well.
 

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
138
0
Awesome

Really appreciate the help, guys. Just got off the phone with apple, and my ibook should be shipping today via fedex overnight, so it looks like I'll be getting it tomorrow. So I'll just use a regular ethernet cable between my Dell laptop and iBook, and it should work fine, I hope.
 

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
1,307
0
Sydney, Australia
oh, ok. anyways just in case. you can turn your mac to firewire target disk mode. that makes it appear as an external firewire disk to all OS's that support them natively (<win98).

to do this when you mac boots up, press and hold T.

it should appear on your pc. to get out of this mode, just reboot your mac.

good luck.
 

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
980
2
Charles City, Iowa
Rather own a Mac than a Dell

Only time can define the sanity remaining - J. Koke

Apple for Life

You're finally going to get to... Hope you have a good Mac experience. :D
 

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
619
3
at the end of the hall
Originally posted by Billicus
I didn't think Pc's could read HFS+ volumes...:confused:
On OSX.2, when Windows File Sharing is turned on [SMB], Windows machines can see and write to Macs. They appear in the Windows Workgroup as any other Windows Machine.

Otherwise, in x.2, the Mac can see Windows Workgroups and Windows machines, and can connect to thier share points and read and write as normal.

It works pretty well, too!

Warning though!! If you are on a regular corporate type [Windows] network, beware opf leaving Windows File Sharing on on your Mac. The SMB services in X.2 will always attempt to become the browsemaster and screw up all the Windows boxes on your subnet. Contact Apple Support pages about this, there is a fix, but you have to go into terminal and edit the smb.config file. Ick!
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,561
46
Originally posted by benixau
oh, ok. anyways just in case. you can turn your mac to firewire target disk mode. that makes it appear as an external firewire disk to all OS's that support them natively (<win98).

to do this when you mac boots up, press and hold T.

it should appear on your pc. to get out of this mode, just reboot your mac.

good luck.
i wanna think that is a mac only thing.

iJon
 

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
619
3
at the end of the hall
Originally posted by gerror
I'm not sure but I heard once connecting 2 computers with a firewire cable would blow up at least one of them
WTF?? That is crazy talk. I can tell you that does not happen, we do it quite often where I work.

Again, crazy talk.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,561
46
Originally posted by gerror
I'm not sure but I heard once connecting 2 computers with a firewire cable would blow up at least one of them
I think some people were saying that would happen with apples newly released IPoverFirwire.

iJon