PC to MacBook (TouchCopy)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lpeedin, Mar 22, 2012.

1. lpeedin macrumors regular

Ordered my first Mac yesterday. Even though I expect my PC laptop to continue to serve me for a while, I would like to use the MacBook to sync my iDevices. After a lot of reading today, I keep getting directed to TouchCopy as a means to not only retain my music, but also messages, emails, etc.

Just wondering what other's experience with TouchCopy has been OR if I missed some other means to switch computers. BTW: considering what I've spent on the iDevices and MacBook, I surely don't mind spending the $24.99(US) for TouchCopy.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I kind of think it might be easier to manually move stuff. This is what I'd do:

1) Makes sure the iPhone is logged into AND backed up to icloud and is syncing everything. (In other words, make sure contacts, calendars, etc. are all turned 'on' in icloud.)

2) Make sure the Macbook is logged into icloud and is syncing everything. (So you'll see your contacts and calendars in there.)

3) Either over a network (or by a FAT32 USB drive), copy all of iTunes from the PC to the Mac. Make sure you get the library, the media files, and the app files. Use Google to help you find their locations in both Windows and the Mac.

4) In the iPhone's settings, erase the phone. When restoring, pick "restore from iCloud backup." After it's done the online part, plug it into and sync it with the Macbook. It will then copy in all the music, videos, and apps it couldn't get online.

5) Once it's totally synced, turn on 'sync over wifi' in the iPhone's overview page in iTunes.

There are other ways to do this, but this is what I'd do in your situation.

3. lpeedin thread starter macrumors regular

@SWC will your method also retain emails, SMS, MMS? Music is the least of my concerns.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

SMS and MMS for sure. That's part of the iCloud backup.

Do you know how your email is set up now? IMAP? Exchange? If it's one of these, there's nothing to save...it just reads everything from the server again. If you have it set as POP3 let me know and we'll investigate that...but if you're not, we don't have to worry about it.

Go to Settings > Mail > Your account

What does it say at the top? Exchange? iCloud? Something else?

5. lpeedin thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I shouldn't have included email in the list. I keep the email folders clean on my iDevices. The only email I have saved right now is the one with my MacBook order number in it so I can check the shipment status. :)

I have iCloud backup turned on and have everything set to ON except Photo Stream and Documents & Data. Should I turn that on as well. I don't see anything about messages listed in the iCloud choices of what to turn on and off, thus my question.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I know SMS is included because I still have old ones going back from before the last time I restored from a backup.

Probably turn on 'Documents' because I don't know if you have any apps saving data in there. Chances are they aren't, but it's good to be safe. Turn it on and then run the backup again.

Also, click on 'Manage Storage' and then click the name of your phone. It lets you turn off specific things in the backup...like, you could say you don't want photos backed up. Find that and make sure you haven't accidentally turned anything off in there.

As an extra-extra safety move...after you do all that icloud stuff, plug into iTunes in your PC. Right-click the phone and select 'backup.' Then you'll have a backup on iCloud AND in your PC just to be super safe.

7. lpeedin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. As soon as the MBP gets here, I'll use your procedure. Thanks again.