Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wifi_cowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Dark Side of the Moon
Here's my question... I have an iMac DV (the early one w/o firewire slots), and I would like to know if I could add a firewire PCI card to an old iMac since there is seemingly no visible sign of an expansion slot on the outer shell. Oh, thanks to any answers in advance! ;)

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
wifi_cowboy said:
Here's my question... I have an iMac DV (the early one w/o firewire slots), and I would like to know if I could add a firewire PCI card to an old iMac since there is seemingly no visible sign of an expansion slot on the outer shell. Oh, thanks to any answers in advance! ;)

Do you mean with out firewire ports. If so, thats not an iMac DV. DV refers to digital video, and hence a DV iMac by definition includes firewire. You probably have a 350 mhz slot loader. Doesn't really matter, just for accuracy.

There are no expansion slots in your model. Some 350 mhz machines had an airport slot, depending on which revision it was. There is no to add firewire to your machine. Sorry.

ij3ffy

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Chicago
No it cannot be done. The only way for you to get Firewire in an iMac DV that did not originally ship with, is a whole motherboard swap.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Well you can get a processor upgrade for that iMac, and the upgrade includes a firewire port. :cool:

I think it's a 'Harmoni G3', but am not sure. Run a search on google for updating a 'Rev. E' iMac.

---------------------------------
Edit:

Actually, no, it only works on Revs A through D. Sorry. :(
Here's a link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.