pci-e expresscard converter card for mac pro early 2008, requires mobo 4 pin usb

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sswx8877, Oct 14, 2010.

1. sswx8877 macrumors newbie

I got this card for 13 dollars on newegg and I hope I can find a way to get it to work.. Obviously I could run a cable to an external usb port but I am trying to get it to work internally.. This card has two lights on it which acknowledge it is on and that an express card is in.. they light up but in windows I am unable to get my express card to mount. I'm sure it has to do with the fact the usb on the inside of the card needs to be plugged into the mobo.

PCI Express with Transfer Rate 2.5GB/s Full Duplex Channel Compliant with PCI-Express Revision 1.0a One USB 2.0 port connection needed from the motherboard for fully ExpressCard compatible Fully plug & play

I have read the mac pro early 2008 has some satas hidden inside near the fans.. Are all the mobo usb used? In device managet I'm counting 5 USB Root Hubs, 3 Generic USB Hubs..

I'm guessing the generic are the devices I've plugged in and the 5 root hubs are the front two usb and the rear three.. So there are none inside that are unoccupied? Do I have any other options like get a 2nd card with internal usb and connect pci to pci?

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

The USB PCI-e card with an internal port is the best idea.