Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Right now I'm waiting for Rev. B G5s (aren't we all...). Once they arrive and I get mine, I would like to connect 3 17" lcd displays, two to the AGP card the PM comes with and one to a PCI card. Several questions occur:
  • Will the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition (the "newest" mac pci card available, right?) work with the PCI-X slots in the G5? The offcial statement on http://www.pcisig.com is that PCI-X is fully backwards compatible with PCI, but right here in these forums (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/34926/) it has been said that 5V pci cards won't work in the G5s, only newer low voltage cards. As I wasn't able to find out the voltage of the Radeon 7000, can someone here say for sure if it will work in the G5s or not?
  • Are there any news on the rumored Radeon 9200 Mac Edition PCI card with 128 MB VRAM? I assume a brand new PCI card would obviously work in the G5s.
  • Assuming the Radeon 7000 does work or/and the Radeon 9200 will be out shortly, will I then actually be able to have a massively wide, continuous desktop across all 3 lcd displays? (Sorry, it's probably a dumb question, but I never had a multiple display setup before.)
  • Would it be alltogether more clever to wait for the Rev. C G5s (if I find a very strong patience-inducing medication, that is) as they will probably sport the "revolutionary" PCI-Express technology? Will PCI-Express really be such a great step forward?
Any and all opinions/insight/comic relief will be greatly appreciated! :)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
original pci cards will work fine in the pci x slots but ati will have pci x cards out soon so just wait.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
blue&whiteman said:
original pci cards will work fine in the pci x slots but ati will have pci x cards out soon so just wait.

Are you sure, you don't mix up PCI-X with PCI Extreme? These are two very different things and not compatible. I don't know if older PCI cards work in the G5 PCI-X slots but the upcoming PCI Express cards will definitely not work. It might be possible to put one in the AGP slot, but as he stated he alredy has a card there and wants to use his PCI-X slots.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Veldek said:
Are you sure, you don't mix up PCI-X with PCI Extreme? These are two very different things and not compatible. I don't know if older PCI cards work in the G5 PCI-X slots but the upcoming PCI Express cards will definitely not work. It might be possible to put one in the AGP slot, but as he stated he alredy has a card there and wants to use his PCI-X slots.

maybe you're right. i'm not 100% sure about all the facts.

to comment on the 7000 its a fine card for 2D and lesser powered 3D. I use one as my only video card in my 66mhz pci slot. you can also enable quartz extreme on it. if the 9200 128mb pci does come out (and I hope it does) I will get one fore sure. they are only supposed to be the same price that the 7000 is now.

both these cards would serve well but wait a bit either way. if ati brings out the 9200 right after you buy a 7000 that would suck.

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Oh, that would be fantastic (if the 9200 wouldn't be more expensive than the 7000 is today)! Do you have any clue as to when it may come out?

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
do you really need to get the mac edition of the video card? it's my experience, from other computer architectures, that you can use any pci card but that the card will be available only after the os kernel has loaded its drivers

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
From what I understand (and it's not much), you can "flash" PC video cards so they'll work with a Mac, but it's a gamble.
Anyways, I found some user reports on the net which confirm that the Radeon 7000 *will* work in the G5! (http://www.macintouch.com/g5reader03.html) So even if the 9200 remains a pipe dream, at least I will have *one* option.
Now if only anyone could confirm that with a working PCI card I can indeed get one massively wide, continuous desktop across all 3 LCDs on which to drag windows left, right and centre like there's no tomorrow – I would be a very happy camper! :eek:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
why dont you just wait a while. ati has already announced pcix versions of the 9800xt are coming out later this year, which will be really awesome.

iJon

naodx

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
Yes, you can use the ATI 7000, but just to remind you, that the monitor driven by that card will not support Quartz Extreme.

Not a real big deal mind you, but you may want to make sure that you don't use that one as your main monitor.

As far as waiting for ATI to release the PCI-Express cards, I wouldn't bother, they won't work in an AGP slot, and they won't work in PCI-X slots.

Most people are confused by the name PCI-Express, which is a different standard than the PCI-X that the G5's currently have in them.

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
iJon said:
why dont you just wait a while. ati has already announced pcix versions of the 9800xt are coming out later this year, which will be really awesome.

iJon

I doubt they would do that. They are so close to releasing the PCI Express R420 (which some websites are reporting as Radeon X800), why would they go back and release a PCI-X 9800xt?

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
naodx said:
As far as waiting for ATI to release the PCI-Express cards, I wouldn't bother, they won't work in an AGP slot, and they won't work in PCI-X slots.

Most people are confused by the name PCI-Express, which is a different standard than the PCI-X that the G5's currently have in them.

Thats why I don't mind G5s being pushed back. I figure it makes them more likely to have PCI Express slots as the R420 and NV40 (should) be shipping then.

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
naodx said:
Yes, you can use the ATI 7000, but just to remind you, that the monitor driven by that card will not support Quartz Extreme. Not a real big deal mind you, but you may want to make sure that you don't use that one as your main monitor.

Why's that? I thought QE works with 32 MB VRAM (which the 7000 has)? Or is that a genuine PCI problem?

naodx said:
As far as waiting for ATI to release the PCI-Express cards, I wouldn't bother, they won't work in an AGP slot, and they won't work in PCI-X slots. Most people are confused by the name PCI-Express, which is a different standard than the PCI-X that the G5's currently have in them.

Waiting for PCI-Express may be a good idea, but that will possibly/probably only appear in the Rev. C G5, and I don't think I want to wait that long. AFAIK PCI-Express will replace AGP alltogether – so how are we gonna be able to connect more than 2 monitors? Will future PCs/G5s have multiple PCI-Express slots?

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bigheadache said:
Thats why I don't mind G5s being pushed back. I figure it makes them more likely to have PCI Express slots as the R420 and NV40 (should) be shipping then.

Mmmhh... maybe I should start being glad about every tuesday that passes without new G5s, then. :)

naodx

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
the future,

It isn't the video ram that is stopping the 7000 from using quartz extreme, it is the fact that it is pci based.

Apple doesn't allow quartz extreme to run on pci based cards, however there is a utility that will enable quartz extreme for pci cards. I don't know it this works on a dual setup, and reports have varied with use. It originally came out for 10.2, and I haven't seen any reports on it in 10.3.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16006

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
my bad my bad. it was express, i just misread and posted without double checking.

iJon

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks for the link, naodx! Interesting app, it's primarily targeted at older (pre-AGP) Macs, but maybe it works with PCI cards in newer PMs as well.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I had a PC version of the Radeon 7000, flashed to the Mac version for my Beige G3. Don't know if that would have worked in the G5, but you can check the FAQ at ATI's website to see.

I have seen a lot of proof that the 9200 PCI Mac version is coming. PowerMax even had it listed on their site. 128 MB. $89. Cheaper than the 7000. Bet it's gonna work on the G5.

Though that might just have been the PC version. It doesn't say.

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
solvs said:
I have seen a lot of proof that the 9200 PCI Mac version is coming. PowerMax even had it listed on their site. 128 MB. $89. Cheaper than the 7000. Bet it's gonna work on the G5.

89$... that would be awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.