MP All Models PCIe SSDs - NVMe & AHCI

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Nauzikaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
I choose between Samsung 970evo and WD550 (not old 500). Have lots of CF card from Sandisk and lots of hdd from WD and love it :) And if i will build raid on HighPoint or OWC card, i think same ssd is a good idea. WD 40% less expensive.

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
FYI, the 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe models are starting to show in-stock through regular resellers again. Several are on sale this week. It is one of the few 2TB models compatible with Sonnet M.2 4x4 (now listed as back in stock late March 2020).

Reactions: OkiRun and tsialex

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2014
about the
Toshiba SSDs:

XG6: TC58NCP090GSD controller: NVMe, M.2 blade
3D TLC
Available in 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB
PCIe 3.0 x4
Speeds: up to ~3,200 MB/s read, up to ~3,000 MB/s write (1TB)
Datasheet
Compatibility Status: Unknown

I have been using this for half month and using as a bootable backup in 7,1, it is quite stable and the speed is very good, I think the Compatibility status can update to should be compatible

tsialex

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
about the
Toshiba SSDs:

XG6: TC58NCP090GSD controller: NVMe, M.2 blade
3D TLC
Available in 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB
PCIe 3.0 x4
Speeds: up to ~3,200 MB/s read, up to ~3,000 MB/s write (1TB)
Datasheet
Compatibility Status: Unknown

I have been using this for half month and using as a bootable backup in 7,1, it is quite stable and the speed is very good, I think the Compatibility status can update to should be compatible
Done.

Reactions: zhpenn

on the range...

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Friendsville
Popping in with my $0.02... just got done installing a single Samsung 970 Evo in my cMP5,1 using a ASM2824-equipped, dual-NVMe-slot Ableconn PEXM2-130 (AMZ, currently $145.99). The card does not come with heatsinks for the NVMe cards so I installed a generic solid copper one (AMZ, ~$8).
I just put this card (slot 2) in a fresh "new" '09 build running Mojave with an HP EX950 2TB. Drive was seen and formatted APFS fine, but trying to run Blackmagic's speed test causes an insta-freeze needing a hard reboot (in fact 2nd time the machine shut itself down and wouldn't power up until I pulled the power cord). I can write to it without crashing and don't notice any bad temp spikes on the drive while writing, but I don't think it's going as fast as it should (takes a long time to count items before emptying trash for example), so something is obviously wrong. I'm going through this thread and others to see if I can figure out what's happening :(

Also, to unfortunately demonstrate how thick I can be - I've never used NVME's before, and can't for the life of me figure how I"m supposed to put on one of those copper heat sinks without removing the stupid paper sticker on the drive and therefore voiding the warrantee. Why on earth would they put a paper sticker right on the chips of the damned things?

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.