Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
I have a 17" PB which holds my iTunes library, and a 12" PB, which I can use to stream the songs. If I buy an Airport Express, I can use the 12" to control the songs playing on my stereo (assuming the Airport Express is connected to the stereo). However, the 12" is still a little unwieldy. I have a HP iPaq 5450, with Bluetooth and Wifi built-in. This would make an ideal remote control. Is there any way to use it to remotely control what iTunes plays through the Airport Express? It seems to be the only possible real use for the Pocket PC (otherwise it is expensive junk).

sparky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
Bluetooth should work by range, but Salling does not seem to support PocketPC (Palm or Symbian only.) 802.11b would be more elegant.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Apple is workin' on summin'

;) I remember reading an interview with Steve Jobs (cannot remember where) about the release of Airport Express. The interviewer asked about controlling the Airport playback through Airport Express (i.e. volume changing, next track/playlist, etc). Steve gave the interviewer the impression that they have something in the works to cover the very requirement. :)

In addition the 4G (4th generation) iPod has some "hidden features", is one of these an 802.11b/g connection to a computer with a remote iTunes controller?

We'll just have to wait and see.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Lincoln said:
;) I remember reading an interview with Steve Jobs (cannot remember where) about the release of Airport Express. The interviewer asked about controlling the Airport playback through Airport Express (i.e. volume changing, next track/playlist, etc). Steve gave the interviewer the impression that they have something in the works to cover the very requirement. :)

In addition the 4G (4th generation) iPod has some "hidden features", is one of these an 802.11b/g connection to a computer with a remote iTunes controller?

We'll just have to wait and see.

if it was wifi, the people that took the new ipods apart would have known about it already.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
I read about the interview with Steve Jobs. I'm sure that as soon as I find a workaround, or buy Airport Express, Apple will release Airport Express 2, with a display and purpose-built remote. Still, an interim solution would be nice...

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I didn't mean built in WiFi

As far as the ipod "hidden" functionality goes, I think it is more of the extra processing power of its cpu and new software.

If there is to be WiFi functionality it will be an add-on device.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
Hmmmm

I have the same situation, from your message i can't work out if you already have the airport express.

Thing is, i got mine two days ago and i set it up in various ways but.. i can't get my HP ipaq 4150 or 4155, whatever, to connect to the wireless network unless its an open network with no security.

I think finding software to control itunes is the least of your worries when it looks like your ipaq might not even connect to the network!

if anyone has managed to make a PPC connect to the wireless network from an airport please let me know how!

sparky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
Romeo uses Bluetooth, which limits the range somewhat, but the macmod solution looks interesting (if a little advanced). Maybe will try it over the weekend.

My PDA has no problem connecting to my 128bit encrypted 802.11b network. Got to Start, Settings, Connections (option of Beam or Connections), select Connections, Advanced, click "Network Card" and make sure you select to access all available networks. Then select the detected wireless network, make sure it says it connects to the internet, and click Authentication. Select Data Encryption (WEP enabled) and enter the full hex key for the network. Should work OK.
My machine is, I think, running Pocket PC 2003.
Also, it has a habit of turning off WLAN access, make sure it is switched on. When on, the light will flash orange when not connected, and turn green when connected.
Good luck.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
that what i did i think....

I've tried what you said but.... what do you mean by the hex key? do you mean the password i typed in on the airport set up... or do i have to convert that into hex?

i've tried all the various forms on incription the airport allows, but the ipaq just keeps asking for the correct password. i eventually set my network up as a closed network, then connected without passwords etc and it works fine apart from MSN messanger on the ipaq doesn't work.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Peter, you need to use the Airport Admin Utility. Then configure the wireless security, your handheld most likely does not support WPA, so you'll need to use 128 bit WEP. When you enter the plain text WEP key you should be able to find the hexidecimal equivalent somewhere here, you need to enter this hex equivalent to access the network from your handheld.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
Remember Macs have a $ before a hex string, which might make it easier to find. PCs do not need this symbol.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
thank you

thank you!!! i got the hex thing to work, silly really having to enter such a weird password? whats wrong with normal passwords everyone can remeber? oh well thank you!

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
PeterBonnar said:
thank you!!! i got the hex thing to work, silly really having to enter such a weird password? whats wrong with normal passwords everyone can remeber? oh well thank you!

WPA will support this, although it's not currently supported by Windows (or the Airport Express, unfortunately). Win XP SP2 will begin to support this more secure standard.

Annoyingly, now with my Airport Express in place I had to switch my network over to WEP....

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
WPA is on my express!

when i go onto the settings on my airport express i can choose to use WPA personal. This is infact what i used at first. but moved to WEP so that my iPaq could be connected. But then had the whole hex thing.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
When I set mine up I entered my WPA password and it said, sorry you need to use WEP. Are you using this as your main base station or to extend your existing network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.