Peak Steak?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Aug 28, 2012.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm sure pockets of resistance would remain. (American-sized pockets to be precise)

But would you alter your diet to help feed the world?

Or is this just alarmist nonsense?

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Yup.

Nope

Yup

Stockholm International Water Institute

Isn't that the organization John Candy claimed he represented in the movie Splash?

3. Bug-Creator, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

This may be bit more then a bit cynic, but ....

If I help the world feed 9bn by eating less meat I'm only making sure that even more will starve when the population hit 10bn (or 11,12...).

Now it's also true that the current food-production would be more then enough to feed 10bn if we wouldn't waste so much.

In the developed world everyone expects that the bakery has the full variety on sale 30min before closeing time (and that all is fresh) -> rest is thrown away. We also don't accept fruits with small errors, dented cans or milk thats has only 2 days till it's "best-use-day".

In the 3rd world lot's of food goes bad while in storage or on transport due to insufficient cooling&hygene.

Reducing waste and distributing that food might sound good, it just won't work (countless small african farmers have been bancrupted by food aid allready their land still laying waste when that "aid" ran dry).

In the end their is only one solution, make sure local population numbers align with local food production (or atleast stay close to it).
    In countries with currently growing populations this will either happen by reducing birth rates or by more people dying from famine or epidemics.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

5. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

... or

"It's a cookbook!"

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

People that eat meat are unlikely to give it up by choice. When the costs become prohibitive, maybe.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You'll have to prise the steak from my cold dead hands.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I read somewhere that a McDonalds hamburger has a nearly indefinite shelf life. ;)

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This seems to assume that a human population of 9Bn is a good thing. Maybe less people is a better answer?

10. AhmedFaisal Guest

1. It is assumed that we will hit peak population soon.
    2. Our overindulgence in meat with cease but we are by nature omnivores and as such thrive best on a well balanced diet including meat, fish and veggies.
    3. If the alternative is eating more grain, you might as well shoot me right now as I have celiac disease.
    4. I question the need for a world market for basic foods. It leads to mono-culture and is the key driver to hunger in the 3rd world as their agriculturally useable land is used for generating exports rather than feeding the natives.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Fewer people would be a better thing but short of catastrophe, how could that ever be implemented? I can't see China's one child policy going down very well in most places on earth, first and third world alike. Occasionally I think it makes sense, in a horrifying "lets not think of the logistics of making that happen" sort of way. If only people could be sensible themselves but that's obviously asking to goddamn much. :-/ "Oh looky here at Cletus Jr. Our 15th little miracle!" :rolleyes:

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That is an off-topic post. We're talking about meat. ;)

13. AhmedFaisal Guest

In the West our populations are already shrinking and China has a shocking male to female ratio in the younger generation. We have hit peak population in the developed world already. In Africa AIDS and the bad policies of Church and governments are "solving" population problems and even Latin America has decreasing birth rates despite the Catholic Church' best efforts. What remains are high birth rates in India and predominantly Muslim countries but as individual standard of living goes up, their birth rates will decline eventually as well.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd do away with the sort of people who believe in miracles (especially as they are often the sort against contraception) :p

We don't need 1 child: 2 is fine as this simply replaces the parents (side-stepping the issue if the parents split and then want kids with new partners) and some of the children won't reach adult hood so this would result in a slow and slight decline in population (so a few people could even have 3).

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Agreed. The "solution" here that the West needs to become mostly vegetarian seems to only facilitate the continued over-population of the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, many people still cannot find any meaning in their lives unless they produce biological children--lots of them.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I stand corrected.:p

17. jeremy h macrumors 6502

What's the other sort of meaning then?

I suspect it won't be long before we're growing steaks in labs* commercially. (Stem cells and all that...)

* Well - factories I guess

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

So you think population will naturally balance out to something sustainable? It feels like we're already straining pretty badly with overpopulation. I have no idea what could be done, if anything. It's just a subject that gives me a bit of worry for what may come.

Heh! If only. :D

I've occasionally wondered if tax credits should end after the 3rd child but then I can't figure out how that could be sorted without creating all kinds of other problems. I hate politicians and yet pity the choices they have to make.

19. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Another technological breakthrough that could forestall this problem is cheaper and more efficient desalinization.

This problem reminds me of the energy dilemma: Will we find technologies that allow us to surmount the problem before it becomes a crisis.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- not gonna give it up.

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Hmm. My forum posts today so far have involved steak, boobs and guns.

I must be in heaven! :)

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Actual feeding the present or even much higher world population is not much of a problem.It would require returning to traditional farming methods though which means many more people returning to farming.The present problem is industrial farming where many times more energy goes into farming than comes out,so it's part of peak oil rather than peak steak.

23. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I once knew a farmer who was so tight (more so than than the normal farmer tightness) that he was hugely environmentally friendly unintentionally. (He eschewed fertiliser, weedkiller etc etc because well, it cost too much.)

His farm was a delight - full of 'other stuff' but his yields were hilariously bad. He used to get his old combine stuck regularly as it would all sort of bung up with weeds. To farm like that we're going to need a lot more land...

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Bad farmer is bad farmer.We have over a thousand years of traditional farming knowledge and put to use will feed us all,yield per acre may well go down but it'll be sustainable and there's no actual shortage of land (animal husbandry may have to be cut right back but that's because it's inefficient).

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nobody is taking my steak, ever.

**** vegetarianism.