Peaking behind the curtain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.breitbart.tv/white-house-reporters-grill-gibbs-over-selected-questions-for-obama/

Apparently some of the press have gotten them gumption to pull back the curtain and see who is back there. In other words, these overtly staged town hall meetings are being called in question. I think the straw the broke the camels back was the press conference the other week where a virtually unknown reporter was used as a setup for Obama to speak on Iran.

After seeing bits and pieces of the town hall I really want to know if anyone thinks they aren't scripted to the highest degree.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What's your point here? That political "town halls" are supposed to be freewheeling events with no rules. Tell that to the republicans. Rove never let bush off his leash.

As far as the Huffington Post guy being used for the Iran question, it had more to do with letting new media access to the WH.

Paranoia is very unbecoming.

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Nico Pitney is only "unknown" if you don't read The Huffington Post, which in turn is one of the largest online news sources today. Its audience is massive.

Pitney also wasn't told what question he would receive. Further, he actually asked a good question, and Obama more or less ducked it. He asked if Obama would continue to negotiate with Iran's regime as is, which Obama failed to directly answer.

So, does it matter if it's a good question or not, or do you just have problems with anything that doesn't fit your preconceived ideas?

As for setups, remember that Bush's "town halls" were carefully prepared by ensuring that only absolutely loyal and screened Republicans made it into them. There was no dissent tolerated, nothing that contained the smallest possibility of Bush looking bad.

Or does that not count either?

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I was always under the impression that "town-hall" meeting were in fact scripted. It just made sense. You know they screen the people who attend. They dont want a wacko or an unruley comment being thrown their way. I take those things with a grain of salt, much like the town hall meeting of the Bush admin. and during the 2008 election season with Obama and McCain.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Paranoid? Shivetya? Say it isn't true! :D

6. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411