Peanut butter and jelly®

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
429
0
From Macleans (April 25 edition):

Scorecard - Thumbsdown

Smuckers
Fruit-spread giant claims peanut butter and jelly sandwich falls under its patents. Gets creamed by U.S. patent office yet launches appeal, unfazed by critics' smears about spreading litigation. Chocolate milk: call your lawyers.

Okay, frivolous legal action is getting way out of hand. Makes me anger enough to refuse to eat Smuckers product anymore.

Who ever is responsible for this one should be smeared with peanut butter and jelly (tarring and feathering isn't so politically correct anymore :p ), and paraded through the streets wearing a placard explaining how they tried to waste public money and court time.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
makes me glad that i never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches anyways....stupid smuckers
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
The patent was... Denied earlier in April

The judges were too smart for Smucker's, and thought their method was similar to making ravioli and crimping a pie crust.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This reminds me of a couple of Japanese businessmen who tried to patent curry. At which point the entire subcontinent jumped up and said, "excuse me!!!" :D

Also, I'm slightly disappointed this thread isn't about this song. (It's a pretty simple Flash...it's mostly just worth it for the song, which reminds me of camp *dreams* :))
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
dvdh said:
From Macleans (April 25 edition):

Scorecard - Thumbsdown

Smuckers
Fruit-spread giant claims peanut butter and jelly sandwich falls under its patents. Gets creamed by U.S. patent office yet launches appeal, unfazed by critics' smears about spreading litigation. Chocolate milk: call your lawyers.
Ok, does this mean that if I make own, I'm infringing on copyright laws? :rolleyes:
Can I patent my peanut butter and red pepper sandwich - as far as I know, I'm the only one who eats them!? (But they are nice - trust me!)
 

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
429
0
James Philp said:
Ok, does this mean that if I make own, I'm infringing on copyright laws? :rolleyes:
Can I patent my peanut butter and red pepper sandwich - as far as I know, I'm the only one who eats them!? (But they are nice - trust me!)
My personal favorite with peanut butter is cucumbers. I'll have to try with red pepper though, that sounds like it would work pretty good too. Peanut butter, red pepper and cucumber sandwich anyone?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
James Philp said:
Ok, does this mean that if I make own, I'm infringing on copyright laws? :rolleyes:
Can I patent my peanut butter and red pepper sandwich - as far as I know, I'm the only one who eats them!? (But they are nice - trust me!)
Is this really good? My personal favs are peanut butter and honey, and peanut butter and banana slice sandwiches.
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,210
432
NY
mkrishnan said:
This reminds me of a couple of Japanese businessmen who tried to patent curry. At which point the entire subcontinent jumped up and said, "excuse me!!!" :D
I wounder what my school would have done :rolleyes:
But didn't some old ladies copyright "happy birthday"
I think i'm gonna copyright "god bless you"
 

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
227
0
East Lansing, Michigan
mkrishnan said:
Is this really good? My personal favs are peanut butter and honey, and peanut butter and banana slice sandwiches.
....or peanut butter and banana slices and a little drizzle of honey. Now you're talkin' - YUM! And even better, of course, when served open-face on toasted whole wheat bread so that the peanut butter is all melted and gooey. That's got to be about the tastiest thing there is. :)
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Nanda Devi said:
....or peanut butter and banana slices and a little drizzle of honey. Now you're talkin' - YUM! And even better, of course, when served open-face on toasted whole wheat bread so that the peanut butter is all melted and gooey. That's got to be about the tastiest thing there is. :)
Elvis Lives! (He has just given up the frying!)
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nanda Devi said:
....or peanut butter and banana slices and a little drizzle of honey. Now you're talkin' - YUM! And even better, of course, when served open-face on toasted whole wheat bread so that the peanut butter is all melted and gooey. That's got to be about the tastiest thing there is. :)
Mmmmm...somewhere, there used to be a place where the whole menu was gourmet PB&J-esque sandwiches. Thick, dense, fresh old-world style bread, toasted sandwiches, flowing peanut butter...mmmm.....
 

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
253
0
madison, WI
What I don't get is.. who has to buy premade pb&j? It doesn't take THAT long to slap a sandwich together, and it's got to be tons more expensive. I understand the appeal of convenience, but I think some things have just gone too far.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sarae said:
What I don't get is.. who has to buy premade pb&j? It doesn't take THAT long to slap a sandwich together, and it's got to be tons more expensive. I understand the appeal of convenience, but I think some things have just gone too far.
Well, if they're just plain PB&J, yeah. But if they're special gourmet ones, well.... The same argument applies for any restaurant food, doesn't it? I mean think about ceaser salads...there's all of four ingredients! :eek: :D
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
sarae said:
What I don't get is.. who has to buy premade pb&j? It doesn't take THAT long to slap a sandwich together, and it's got to be tons more expensive. I understand the appeal of convenience, but I think some things have just gone too far.
You have to think of the ability of the people they are selling these things to. ;)

They either cannot take the time to make a sandwich, or they don't have the ability.
 

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
253
0
madison, WI
mkrishnan said:
Well, if they're just plain PB&J, yeah. But if they're special gourmet ones, well.... The same argument applies for any restaurant food, doesn't it? I mean think about ceaser salads...there's all of four ingredients! :eek: :D
Yeah, but (as far as I know) these are just plain old sandwiches, sans crust. Going out to eat at least provides you with an "experience," or isn't just convenience.
 

Awimoway

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
1,485
8
California
dvdh said:
My personal favorite with peanut butter is cucumbers. I'll have to try with red pepper though, that sounds like it would work pretty good too. Peanut butter, red pepper and cucumber sandwich anyone?
My grandfather would only eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches. I'm a big fan of PB & tomato. PB & mayo works too, and a little cheese is a nice addition.
 

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
dvdh said:
From Macleans (April 25 edition):

Scorecard - Thumbsdown

Smuckers
Fruit-spread giant claims peanut butter and jelly sandwich falls under its patents. Gets creamed by U.S. patent office yet launches appeal, unfazed by critics' smears about spreading litigation. Chocolate milk: call your lawyers.

Okay, frivolous legal action is getting way out of hand. Makes me anger enough to refuse to eat Smuckers product anymore.

Who ever is responsible for this one should be smeared with peanut butter and jelly (tarring and feathering isn't so politically correct anymore :p ), and paraded through the streets wearing a placard explaining how they tried to waste public money and court time.
This is for their uncrustables which well, have no crust, but do have crimped edges. This is a somewhat novel invention but the prior art makes it so derivative its obvious.
 

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
2,713
485
A geographical oddity
puckhead193 said:
I wounder what my school would have done :rolleyes:
But didn't some old ladies copyright "happy birthday"
I think i'm gonna copyright "god bless you"
They didn't copyright "happy birthday" They wrote the song and copyrighted that. Just like any other song you hear. If you want to write the "God Bless You" song, go for it. I'll even respect your copyright (God bless you, God bless you, God bless you dear puckhead, God bless you is not enough).
 
mkrishnan said:
Is this really good? My personal favs are peanut butter and honey, and peanut butter and banana slice sandwiches.
Fresh Italian Round bread from Sarcones. Toast a nice oblong slice, put a layer of peanut butter on there. Add thin slices of bananas cut diagonally. Shave chilled dark chocolate over the top, then put into the toaster oven until the chocolate just starts to melt...
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
I really enjoy a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich. My preference is chunky. I think its Jiff that makes the mixture in the same jar. My preference to to make it myself.
 

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
2,557
13
a profane existence
Been a long time since I had a PB&Banana. Will have to make one again but this time with honey. One of my favorite combinations is crunchy peanut butter and lays potato chips on bread.

I used to eat that pre-mixed pb&j. I think it was called Goobers? Great stuff for family trips in the car.

I too like chunk/crunchy peanut butter. I prefer Adams over Jiff any-day. Just look at the ingredients.