Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble today announced that its second-generation smart watch, the Pebble Steel, will be available in Best Buy stores beginning on June 15.

First announced in January, the Pebble Steel features a stainless steel body with a leather or steel band, an upgrade from the plastic design of the first-generation Pebble. The Pebble Steel also features smaller side and top bezels than the original, for a slimmer, lighter profile.

pebblesteel.jpg
Pebble Steel has been incredibly popular since we launched it at CES in January, with demand far exceeding our expectations. Our premium smartwatch takes everything our users love about the original Pebble--simplicity, ease of use, weeklong battery life, water resistant design, rich notifications, the Pebble appstore, and regular updates--and wraps it up in a sleek new stainless steel and Corning Gorilla Glass body.
When purchased from the Pebble website, the Steel retails for $249, a price that includes both a steel and leather band. The version sold through Best Buy will include just a leather band for a price of $229.

In addition to being available at Best Buy retail stores and the Best Buy website this Sunday, the Pebble Steel will continue to be available through the Pebble website.

Article Link: Pebble Steel Launches at Best Buy on June 15 for $229

dav465

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
This is not a new device. It's been available to buy from January. It will now be available from a retailer rather than online exclusive via their website.

I imported one to the uk and I love it. I haven't charged my watch since Sunday, it's now Wednesday and it's on about 50%, and it does go down at a slow steady rate(unlike iPhones which drain faster after 70%)

I highly recommend them.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

Well there are limitations to both the form factor and the financial resources they use for R&D. They are also constrained in how they can interact with the device.

No doubt Apple can do better, but for a 3rd party its a pretty solid device and once of the most simplistic looking.

I have the god awful red version from Best Buy, so it's a little embarrassing to wear. But I really love the thing. I can go without a watch, and this adds some core functionality to that.

That is a big price jump though. Nearly $100 on the MSRP from the plastic Pebble.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Decent price for a decent watch... But how long will the battery last?

The battery life varies heavily by use. But you can't get at least three days out of it.

----------

If it's like the original Pebble (I'm pretty sure it's mostly the same guts, just a different casing) around 3-5 days between charges.
Yeah, the only difference with the actual hardware is the addition of a multi-color LED.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I get at least 7 days use, I have a black original kickstarter version and its basically a perfect notification system and the best "smart watch" I have used (and I've used them all)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I get at least 7 days use, I have a black original kickstarter version and its basically a perfect notification system and the best "smart watch" I have used (and I've used them all)

Likwise. And hue fans should own one b.c you can control your lights :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'll consider it after seeing what Apple offers.

Has Pebble revealed what their post iWatch plans are? It seems to me that they have minimal chance of being able to continue selling their device (because no one will be interested) once Apple releases a smart watch.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'll consider it after seeing what Apple offers.

Has Pebble revealed what their post iWatch plans are? It seems to me that they have minimal chance of being able to continue selling their device (because no one will be interested) once Apple releases a smart watch.

I have a feeling that the iWatch is going to be more like Samsung's offering than Pebble's: With a "vibrant" display that looks good in the store but is non-persistent, eats through battery life, and is washed out by sunlight. In which case Pebble will continue to attract people who want a practical smart watch.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The pebble is fantastic. I've got a kickstarter one and I love it.

The best thing about it is just how easy it is to develop for - if you want some functionality, you can write it yourself with some very very basic C and a little bit of javascript. For example, I wrote an app to let me control my Lightwave system (menu for rooms/devices, short press to turn on, long press to turn off) and it took about an hour and a half.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I have the original, (gray, with third-party leather band,) and think it's great. Battery lasts 3-5 days on average for me. My wife really likes it - I no longer pull my phone out of my pocket (or pick it up off the table,) all the time when at dinner or out somewhere together. I just glance at my wrist. (I am often on-call and need to pay attention to email 24/7.) Makes for a happier marriage. :D

Would I like a "more capable" watch? Sure. But the Pebble is light, battery lasts sufficiently long, and does enough to be truly useful. I don't think I'd buy an iWatch unless it has at LEAST a 3-day battery life (always-on, I can't stand the "screen off" nature of the Galaxy Gear,) along with noticeable enhanced functionality.

The ability to have basic functionality without being connected to my phone is also good - yeah, I can't do any internet-connected tasks, but I can still use offline apps.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I have a feeling that the iWatch is going to be more like Samsung's offering than Pebble's: With a "vibrant" display that looks good in the store but is non-persistent, eats through battery life, and is washed out by sunlight. In which case Pebble will continue to attract people who want a practical smart watch.

Was that an intentional oxymoron? :p I'm typing this with a Pebble strapped to my wrist, by the way.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
A little too much money for me since I have an original Pebble. But I'm glad to see Pebble is still pushing along. I'm sure at some point Apple will release their own watch, but I think the Pebble market will remain. For one, Pebbles will probably be cheaper than iWatches. And chances are they will continue to get better battery life. Plus Pebble works with Android as well as iOS.

I'm eager to see the iWatch, and chances are I'll snag one, but I think the guys at Pebble are doing good work and I wish them well. I will continue to keep tabs on them and what they're offering.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Fugly

I don't think I'll get an iWatch either -- I tossed my last watch years ago, and I don't miss it -- but those are pieces of wrist jewelry I wouldn't wear under any circumstances. Apple's will look better at least.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

This is my hope too. I love how simple the Pebble is and worry that my dream device (a full-colour screen, etc) would simply not work in the real world or require so much power to punch through sunlight that it'll need constant charging. I get a week out of my Pebble and it's a great device.

----------

I don't think I'll get an iWatch either -- I tossed my last watch years ago, and I don't miss it -- but those are pieces of wrist jewelry I wouldn't wear under any circumstances. Apple's will look better at least.

Lol, really? A device that the public hasn't seen yet looks the best you say?

The Pebble is the first watch I've had since I was a kid and it's really useful for notifications and alerts when my iPhone isn't right beside me. I trust Apple's amazing-looking watch will also do that.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So then... the version selling at Best Buy is really more of a Pebble Leather than a Pebble Steel, given it's not coming with the steel band... :p

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

But how will you get through the day without knowing how many steps you took or your vital signs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.