Pebbles - RIP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

A college student said she flushed her emotional support hamster down the toilet after Spirit Airlines refused to let her bring her furry pet on the plane.

Belen Aldecosea, 21, of Miami Beach, Florida, told theMiami Herald that she contacted Spirit Airlines before her flight from Baltimore to South Florida on Nov. 21, 2017, regarding traveling with her dwarf hamster, Pebbles. Aldecosea claimed the airline told her it was not a problem to bring her hamster on the flight. However, when the student arrived at the airport she said the airline refused to let Pebbles on the plane. Aldecosea said she did not have many options since her family was in Florida and her friends were hours away. The student claimed a Spirit employee suggested she either flush Pebbles down the toilet or let the animal free.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Sad. But not surprising given that Spirit Airlines is literally one of the worst airlines period.

3. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

What a piece of ****. She should be arrested.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

Just add a 'd' to the end of her name.

5. 0007776 Suspended

Sadly it wouldn’t surprise me if one of their employees did make that suggestion. The person who took the suggestion clearly has mental issues since they were willing to do it, but unfortunately those issues are not likely to be ones that an emotional support animal will help with.

6. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

You're thinking of guinea pigs. The Peruvians eat the guinea pig, not the hamster.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

With no apologies to anyone, this is really getting out of hand.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

For some, taking care of, and the unconditional love of a pet.. Any pet helps them

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think the system broke down in this situation.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

12. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

She's stupid, heartless, and should not be allowed to own animals IMO. Did she not try calling any local animal shelters and explaining the situation????? If the animal meant so much to her (hell, if it meant anything to her), that's a repulsive way to show her affection. There were plenty of other options on the table than just those two that ended in a horrific death!

Spirit Airlines is truly incompetent and them supplying the wrong information is also pretty crappy, but I don't blame the airline here beyond their general incompetence (which is something I expect). Incompetence is everywhere and part of life is being prepared for it and dealing with it. I wouldn't even trust their assurance that their plane is air-worthy. And I could believe that an employee suggested flushing poor Pebbles (whether that be a serious suggestion or just an overworked, disgruntled employee making an ill-thought sarcastic comment.) But that doesn't mean the young lady had to do it...if I told her to put a gun to her head and pull the trigger, to jump off of a tall building, or to consume some sodium hypochlorite, would she follow through with it? And no, a medical issue as such is not an excuse here...as someone with several pretty serious medical issues, I REALLY HATE IT when people use this to try to weasel out of that whole accountability thing. She's going to sue someone for her own lack of ethics or judgment...right on!

Animals on flights are certainly getting somewhat out of hand. I understand the reasoning, and am fine with allowing it, but it's at a point where now you can buy a "emotional support animal certification" online (and avoid travel expenses)...this has several negative effects (especially for those with actual service animals.) From a physical safety perspective, a disease perspective, and a psychological stress perspective, there needs to be some sort of balance IMO.

::rant mode disengaged::

TL;DR: Spirit sucks, but this chick is far more repulsing. She's not a victim. We are responsible for our own actions.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In no way sticking up for the victim, I keep saying it this way when it comes to the airlines:

If you want Nordstrom, Dillards, Macy's, JC Penney, Brandeis (when they were still around), Saks, Armani, Kate Spade, etc., fly with UAL, DAL, AAL, DLH, AFR, VIR, BAW, ANZ, UAE, or ETD (Etihad).

If you want Target or any decent store at an outlet mall, fly JBU, SWA, or ASA.

If you want Walmart, Big Lots, or any 1/2 price store, fly a ULCC, like AAY (Allegiant), or FFT (Frontier).

If you want the 99 cent or a Dollar Store, fly NKS (Spirit) or RYN (RyanAir).

in this case, you get what you pay for. And I'll be blunt; NKS sucks.

BL.

14. Zenithal macrumors G3

I'm somewhat partial to Delta's first class when it comes to domestic airlines. Virgin Atlantic Business and First offer nice amenities, including warming blankets and late night snacks when you wake up and can't fall asleep on a long flight.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The airline denies suggesting this woman flush the hamster down the toilet...and even if it were true that she was given a choice between flushing it and letting it go outside...WTF? She drowned it? That's sick.

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

Some poor gator could have had a quick nibble before night.

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

What? No reference to Trump, Obama or Hillary yet?

18. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Hmm ...

[​IMG]

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think it’s best for Spirit airlines to issue their statement before judging this situation entirely. There are a lot of unverified statements made by the “victim”. In my opinion the only victim here is Pebbles.

I’m just a little confused if the airline made the suggestion to “set it free” or “flush it” why anyone would opt to flush it.

I’d also be curious to know Boeing/Airbus/whoever’s official opinion on flushing animal carcasses into the plumbing system of the aircraft

I’ll be honest, I’ve terminated a number of rodents in my life- both in the name of science and pest control. I don’t find them particularly good pets. There is an irony here in that the emotional support animal has induced such emotional distress. That said, that this was someone’s pet, especially emotional support animal, this situation should have been better handled by the airline.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree 200%. what's next, emotional support animals at work because people can't handle a yearly review? we've become a society of emotional saps.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While you're definitely oozing the hyperbole here, in service animal's defense, while I can easily provide my wife's story again, I'll shift to another;

You really don't want me to tell you the story of Michael Hingson again. ;)

BL.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I vaguely remember the story of your wife. Sorry. She had/has vision issues and you bring it up around arguments of Obamacare but I don't need the details nor those around service animals. I also don' know Michael's story either. In fairness, neither will change my opinion on the softening of society.

In the case of this hamster thing....it must not have been much of a comfort if she so willingly flushed it. I mean daughter is deeply attached to her puppy and I know for a fact, she would freeze to death in the snow before she'd do anything to harm him.

23. Zenithal macrumors G3

Actual comfort dogs are pretty neat. Used mostly in hospital settings. I'm under the belief that because the licenses/certificates are signed/filled out with a physician's NPI number, the medical boards should look into abuse. I'm more surprised insurance companies cover these things.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That actually wasn't what I was getting at. :) It's another story altogether, and one not really told, especially on that day, 9/11. Meet Michael Hingson; author of Thunder Dog: A True Story of a Blind Man, his Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust, manager at Digital Equipment Corporation (now part of HP). His office address: Floor 78, Tower 1, WTC.

http://www.akc.org/content/entertai...-who-helped-her-blind-partner-escape-the-wtc/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-hingson-blind-911-survivor-nyc-aira-world-trade-center/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_and_Roselle

http://rosellefoundation.org/

I'll include a recount of the story from the Ventura County Star, but it has been published also in his book as well. It's worth the read:

It's actually a really cool story, and had me start to give a hell of a lot more respect to service animals. Besides, Roselle was the only service animal I have read that has received the nation's highest civilian honor, and was asked to visit the White House by GWB.

If true, and she destroyed an ESA, especially if given to her and trained for it, she would be in a hell of a lot more trouble from the physician and society that issued her the ESA. That would not only tantamount to cruelty to animals, but the murder of an service animal/ESA is a felony, and a nasty one at that.

BL.

25. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Sounds fishy. It wasn’t that long ago when such a claim would elicit the reflex response: “Pics or it didn’t happen”.

Is there any proof Pebbles, um, departed as claimed?