peecee hardware question

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2002
718
0
Hong Kong
i didnt really know where to put this question.. and i know that a handful of the ppl here would know the answer...

my question is: i have an amd 1ghz thunderbird, do i need a heatsink or a fan mounted directly on top of the cpu?

thanks..
 

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
782
1
Indianapolis, IN
Re: peecee hardware question

Originally posted by firewire2001
i didnt really know where to put this question.. and i know that a handful of the ppl here would know the answer...

my question is: i have an amd 1ghz thunderbird, do i need a heatsink or a fan mounted directly on top of the cpu?

thanks..
Without both a heatsink and working fan, you would destroy that CPU before you power the machine off. It really happens that fast. Literally. If you have the standard configuration, where you hold the power button in for 4 seconds to power off, the CPU is already dead. You'll know by the smell and the smoke.
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
Yeah, it probably takes like 4-5 seconds for your chip to fry, which can possibly damage your motherboard as well.

Let us know if you need help finding a good HSF.:)
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
I would have to say F*CK YES!!!

Without the heat sink and fan, you might as well just toss out the processor now. IF one didn't come with your processor (retail packages come with them) then go to Cooler Master and get one of theirs. You can find them online for a few dollars (under $20) and they are well worth the money. They are very quiet (compared to many others) and last a long time. If you want to, you could also get an adapter to put an even larger fan onto the heat sink (like an 80mm or 92mm) and get even better, quieter cooling. Those can be found here, I would go with the aluminum ones since they will trasfer heat better, and provide a stable surface for the fan to mount to.
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,656
0
Kent, UK
I would say no. By burning that poc you'll be doing the world a favour. Start it up, as is, and then go out and get yourself a mac ;):D
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by britboy
I would say no. By burning that poc you'll be doing the world a favour. Start it up, as is, and then go out and get yourself a mac ;):D
Here I was, being nice and helping the duder out, and you go and say this... :D

That being said... only a 1GHz T-Bird??? When did you get it?? Why did you get that one and not one of the xp series chips???

Come on, give us the dirt. :D
 

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
If your making toast on it!

For toast with melted butter, no fan is needed on the CPU.

If you want it to actually run for longer than a few moments then you better get one. Those i ghz amd chip run very very hot. They have no built in safe gaurds like the P3 or P4.

SO I think the answer is YES!
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Re: If your making toast on it!

Originally posted by Grokgod
For toast with melted butter, no fan is needed on the CPU.

If you want it to actually run for longer than a few moments then you better get one. Those i ghz amd chip run very very hot. They have no built in safe gaurds like the P3 or P4.

SO I think the answer is YES!
Funny you should mention that, someone has actually, REALLY COOKED EGGS on their Athlon XP :)

check it out

:D :D :D
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: If your making toast on it!

Originally posted by topicolo
Funny you should mention that, someone has actually, REALLY COOKED EGGS on their Athlon XP :)

check it out

:D :D :D
What's really funny is that it still worked afterwards.:eek: :D
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Re: Re: Re: If your making toast on it!

Originally posted by Rower_CPU


What's really funny is that it still worked afterwards.:eek: :D
I'd like to make an oven out of those chips one of these days :). I'd probably be able to cook stuff in 1-2 secs, since it'll be as hot as a nuclear fusion reactor in there :D.

One thing I've heard about is that I'm not sure if the food cooked on pcbs and silicon chips are edible or not. Apparently, those things release bromine when they're heated and bromine is quite toxic. Meh, it'll serve those bastids who actually burn macs right.:mad: