PeerGuardian For OS X Does Anyone know how to use it??? Not sure if it is working???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NyMetsFan08, Dec 19, 2008.

1. NyMetsFan08 macrumors regular

Hey everyone!!! been awhile since I last wrote a thread. I heard about this program called PeerGuardian I installed in on my OSX Tiger and it seems to be working fine. But how do you know if it is working??? I see the logs of all the allows and blocks but when im downloading something im not 100% sure if it working. Do I need to add anything or just run the program and it will work itself??? just kind of confused. when I use Vuze would it block correctly??? All help is appreciated thank you, bye.

2. mcnees288 macrumors newbie

I also would like to know if anyone has experience with this program. i understand however that the mac vesion is like 1.5b while PC version is 2.0.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I used PG for a little bit, but found it extremely annoying because it was messing with Safari and Firefox. You can open a log of the IP's it blocks, but I'm trying to find out if there is an alternative for Vuze (see my thread).

4. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

I think when you load it up and then launch azureus it does it job and blocks the ip's. I tried it and seems to be working.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I only use PeerGuardian when downloading files via torrents. It basically installs an icon in your menubar. Just click "launch PeerGuardian when ever you want it to start blocking IP addresses. It also automatically updates the lists for you. Great piece of software in my opinion... I just wish it would run in the background without putting an icon in the dock.

6. glasserp macrumors regular

You can actually - after you launch PeerGuardian you can go to its menu and "Quit PeerGuardian". The PG in the menubar will still be there, but the icon in the dock will not. It still runs in the background. And FWIW, it works fine for me, except when I try to use my school's network I usually have to quit the helpers. Even still it sometimes won't let me connect even then.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Go to one of the about.com websites. You'll normally have to disable PG to get to them, so if the page loads PG isn't working.