Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srileo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Hi all,
am new to the forum and have used the Search feature, but have not found a concrete answer yet. I ride my motorcycle on long trips and would love to bring along my macbook to edit photos and upload stories as i go.

Am wondering if any of you know what Pelican case fits a macbookpro 17"? There is this product but it is not very clear if it fits the widescreen 17" mac.

Any recommendations from out there? I am somewhat regretting buying a 17" and not a 15"...the latter would have been vastly better suited to fit inside the topbox with room to spare. However i cannot plonk a thousand bucks to buy a spare mac for the road.

Also, as you know, the 17" sucks up the battery pretty quick. Am wondering if there is a reliable way to charge a spare battery from the bike while riding?

Many thanks in advance,
Shridhar

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
On a bike, it doesn't matter what you pack your computer in. As long as it is padded and absorbs the bumps and jolts while riding.

Make sure your computer is off and not just asleep.

If you crash, it's toast, but you'll have more than a computer to worry about.

Pelican cases (& Storm) are pretty damn near the best cases for durability, but they are probably too heavy to be loaded onto a bike (and bulky)

Use a neoprene sleeve for your laptop as an extra layer of cushioning between the computer and the padding as well. They're cheap and can be used for anything from backpacks to suitcases.

ComitSteve

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Pelican Case for MacBook Pro 17"

I would go with the Pelican 1495. It should fit easily. If not that maybe a larger case like the 1510, which would allow other items in addition to the MacBook.

Google "Ralph's Pelican Cases". They have great prices on Pelican stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.