Pelosi gets a taste of her own party's medicine

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://thehill.com/latino/351199-pelosi-interrupted-by-protesters-during-dream-act-conference

Pelosi gets shut down for trying to cut a deal with Trump over DACA, seems like these people must have forgot who is running the show in the senate, house, and executive seat, they want a clean bill for DACA with no concessions to Republicans on border security. Talk about delusional.

It will be too bad if these entitled individuals get everyone kicked out of the country because they are unwilling to compromise. Not very often that Pelosi looks like the reasonable one.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah those people were just rude and rather ignorant too. They seem completely oblivious to who is trying to help them. Their time would be better spent protesting someone who is actually against them and trying to deport them.

4. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I would have called ICE on the live conference.

These illegals feel entitled to everything. They want their extended families to have citizenship because a few of them crossed illegally. They want SS, and Medicare, and other benefits they never paid for or collectively barely ever paid into. They dump all over everyone who has ever done it right.

Pelosi never looks reasonable. Advocating for illegal citizenship is suicide. It's one more step on the way to open-borders communist hell the left constantly pushes for.

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Did either of you bother to read the article? :rolleyes:

The protesters who interrupted the conference were calling for a “clean” DREAM Act — one that didn’t make concessions to Republicans on border security — and protections for a larger group of immigrants in the U.S. illegally than that bill would confer.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Dunno wether they did read it or just had a lucky shot....

Cos possible outcomes:

- Dems make a deal with Trump allowing some "dreamers" to stay (protestors didn't like that)

- Dems manage to stop Trump/Reps from any action till the gain control over house/senate (at least another 14 months)

- Trump and Reps pass laws kicking all (or at least more than with the 1st option) dreamers out

No 2 seems least likely for me.

7. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

We always hear politicians say we need to work together in a bipartisan way, and get things done. We The People complain about the great divide and how partisan bickering prevents anything from getting done.

Yet one of the few times in recent memory the Democrats and the Republicans (president) struck a deal and people lose their minds.

At this point I have come to the conclusion people in general have no idea what they want. It's easier to just pick a side and complain.

Compromise is something foreign to many people. If we stick to only party ideals and refuse to negotiate, why not just have a dictator?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it was even on Spanish TV

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Remember kids, assuming that people striving for DACA protections are "illegals" is not prejudiced.

And, people with DACA cannot receive benefits in most cases. They can receive the Earned Income Tax Credit, but they are not eligible to receive benefits from the ACA, Medicaid, SANP, CHIP, TANF or SSI.

Similarly, people in the country under TPS, or other special visas have strict limits on the kind of benefits they can receive.

But, whatever. The scary "communist hell" is coming.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'These illegals'??? Reducing the complexity of somebody to one adjective as though it summed up all there is to a person....

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

A nit like the working class leaching on my tax money I don't want to pay. There was some analogy in another thread that paying taxes was about the same as having your wife raped by immigrants. Illegals or working class, that's about the same right? They feel entitled to everything.

Sigh.

12. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they snub Trump now it won't matter if they gain power in congress. No way Dems are going to flip the entire congress anyways.

As for reading the article I referenced the part where they wanted a clean bill. They are delusional because that ***** not happening.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    They can explore their culture in their home countries if Dems don't want to play ball.

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

For what it's worth, most of us in this state, Republican or Democrat, don't like Nancy Pelosi and never have. She's been the butt of jokes for a long time.

Why do we keep voting her in? There's not enough good Democrat politicians that can challenge her. And our side, the GOP, simply can't put anyone up that can wrangle her and cause her to mince her words a la Kerry. She's a middle-of-the-road politician at best, playing sides to achieve her personal goals and not necessarily the people's.

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Their home country is the US, otherwise the wouldn‘t fit into the dreamer category.

The may hold a different passport, or even none at all.

15. Zombie Acorn, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually thats incorrect. Home country would be their country of origin, if their home country was the US they would be citizens regardless of their parents status.

I have a 3 year old, I can't bring her to Mexico and just say "well, this is her home country now"

All of these kids will be able to get a passport from their home country if they prevent Democrats from dealing with Republicans due to their entitlement syndrome.

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

@Zombie Acorn

If you ask that 3 year old of yours in 15 years where "home" is, she will answer "Toronto Canada" even if she is an US citizen by birth.

"Country of origin" is a far better fitting word for what you were trying to say, cos they surely wouldn't be "at home" in a country they don't even remember being born in.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well they want blanket amnesty and the democratic party hasn't given it to them the way they had hoped.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, if they are illegal immigrants, they are illegal immigrants. It’s not reducing a person to an adjective, it’s simply stating a legal, administrative fact in order to specify the jurisdictions involved (ICE in this case) on a very specific issue.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    I am all for letting (most of) them stay, but no way I could accept a blanket amnesty.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Letting them stay is one thing, coming up a with a plan for the next 13 million is another. Citizenship is another.

20. yaxomoxay, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Exactly.
    Personally, I would:
    1) No felons accepted.
    2) Give them a probationary green card with no expiration date.
    3) No rights to apply for citizenship for the first 20 years after the probationary green card is released.
    4) If a felony is committed, or three Class A misdemeanors are committed, then probationary green card is removed. (Loss of status)
    5) If two class A misdemeanors are committed, loss of right of citizenship even after 20 years from release of probationary green card.
    6) if one class A misdemeanor is committed, citizenship “20 year timer” is reset.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That sounds good, but the left wants them to be able to vote. This past election showed they lost middle class white voters over this very issue, so they need help from the latino community big time.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am fine with them voting... after 20 years or so.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK, but anybody who has received so much as a parking ticket is an 'illegal'... I worry that with respect to dreamers, for instance, that the term 'illegals' carries implications like somehow they chose to break the law. The dreamers I know came to the US as very young children and had no choice. A child should not be punished for the choice made by parents.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They're illegal with respect to their citizenship status. If they want to blame someone, blame their parents. They put them in this spot with the hopes we'll just wave a magic wand someday and absolve them of any wrong doing.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Do they realize that democrats are out of power right now? Maybe they should go ask republicans for blanket amnesty instead. Good luck with that kids! It seems that some people just don't seem to know where their bread is buttered.

Why 20? How did you come up with that number?