Pence breaks the tie on Healthcare.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 25, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

McCain is speaking now. And at least he is trying to bridge parties by making it clear that the bill as is - is not acceptable. And he lays blame on both parties - as it should be.

But I did have to laugh at a friend of mine who posted, "You've got to be a special kind of ******* to spend most of your life getting excellent healthcare paid by taxpayers, only to take a break from your state-of-the-art cancer treatment to strip those taxpayers of their healthcare."

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Collins and Murkowski still went against it. So the GOP convinced the other female Senator who had opposed a straight repeal, Capito of West Virginia, to at least vote for opening debate.

This must be very upsetting to Capito because of knowing how gutting Medicaid will affect her constituency. And I'd say it may not mean she will vote for a repeal bill.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

McCain needs to go............
    so, what's next?

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The Reaper?

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

McCain votes one way and makes "great" speeches about the opposite. He's weak. If he really had such disdain for the bill, he wouldn't have voted yes.

Clearly he's looking for his pet projects to get some free passes.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is weird, given that arms sales always go through with only a speech or two going against.

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

What did 45 just say now healthcare is something he knows a lot about? :confused:

Twitter has a live feed of a presser 45 is on now.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Sometimes there should be a Black Knight intoning, "None shall pass".

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The bill wasn't passed, so this vote is largely inconsequential.
    It simply opens it up for debate and amendments, which is how it should work.
    Not a fan of the current bill myself, and a straight up repeal will never happen.
    So this will die on the floor and both side will declare victory.
    Reps will blame the Dems for blocking it from passing and Dems will say they kept the ACA alive by preventing the passage of this mess of a bill.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What bill?

How can you make claims on what bill you're discussing when the GOP members don't even ****ing know?

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Good to see they came together to vote on maybe talking about getting something together they can one day vote on.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Excuse me?
    I'm actually watching it. Apparently you're not.
    This bill in question is the House bill that was passed on May 4th (H.R. 1628) and sent to the Senate. Yes... it was that long ago.
    Senate can't simply vote to debate a topic (doesn't work that way), they voted to debate and amend a bill that was sent to the Senate floor.
    The various Senate bills that were being worked on are not what is being debated here.

The Senate can gut this bill and make it into whatever they want and then send it back to the House.

Try and keep up.

13. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

So they basically voted to keep arguing back and forth on a bill that they can't even muster the rank and file to follow suit, awesome. Pretty sure they'll blame the Democrats even though they control both House and Senate, god forbid they blame themselves for not having an alternative after 7 1/2 years of complaining.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's precious.

Keep that statement in mind when they use parliamentary procedures to substitute the content of the bill at the last second (as in, 4am on some random day) while keeping the same name. I've honestly forgotten the name (and my google-fu isn't strong enough for me to get it) but it's an old trick that McConnel has used plenty of times in the past.

They're going to keep the shell, and replace the guts, while claiming it's the House bill. I would put money on it.

15. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's like taking a turd, covering it in chocolate and then selling it as a brownie.

16. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not sure what crawled up your ass today, but nothing I said was inaccurate or partisan.
    Guess you were quick on the trigger and didn't see my full post... yes it was clarified within 10 seconds of me posting it.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Crawled up my ass? For responding to your post ending in the height of civility?

"Try to keep up"

:rolleyes:

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

best description of the ACA yet :D

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

With the caveat that I HATE everything about the for profit healthcare racket that we've had for decades....what would you call the system up until...say....2008?

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Read post 10 (yours) and explain to my how this was anything other than an insult to me and then showed your lack of knowledge of what was actually happening on the Senate floor in the process. :rolleyes: Indeed.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

in sure need of work, I am fine with covering people with "pre-existing" conditions and letting your kids stay on the insurance up to age 26 is a definite plus.
    but as you say, it's a racket and BOTH sides are in it so you won't see definite changes, aspirin at $8 bucks a pop is a reality based on our POS society that loves to sue because the coffee was hot , so yes there is plenty of profit in the HC industry and at the same time gazillion of [​IMG] lawyers make everything expensive for everyone when they sue because the vaginal mesh on their male client did not hold up as advertised.........

we have a ton of problems to address and it's NOT going to happen with our crap society.:(

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Should I spoon feed you the macro view of this process? Or are you sticking to the literal reading of "they don't know what bill (number) they are voting on"?

NONE of them have any clue what even a framework of their precious bill is going to be. You know it, I know it, every person with even a single brain cell aimed at watching this process unfold knows it.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So in short you would like to live on a remote island by yourself. Got it.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They all are. I'm with John Boehner. This is never going to get across the finish line. The House has to pass whatever McConnell can finally get passed in the Senate, if anything.. It could be bounced back one more time to Senate if Ryan can pass something "almost" like it. There could be multiple CBO assessments needed if turns out after amendments that it's hardly the "clean repeal" McConnell proposes.

We're at the end of July already. No recess = cranky Congress. At some point McConnell and Ryan just agree to hope ACA dies on its own out in the hinterlands? 2018 looking good for Democrats at that point. The GOP should go bipartisan and take the risk of losing the House, theyre going to lose it anyway.

Who the hell among developed countries thinks health care should be something for the rich only. Nobody but the USA. And, the citizens don't even think that. Just the GOP thinks that because they want a tax cut to pass muster in the budget. imo that's criminally insane, not just partisan.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

with Ivanka :D