Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory maker FiftyThree today announced the availability of the company’s popular Pencil stylus in Apple retail stores. Though the stylus has been spotted in select Apple stores in recent weeks, this announcement marks the first time the iPad stylus officially has been available in the Cupertino company's brick and mortar stores. Apple also recently began selling Pencil through its online store.

pencil-stylus.jpg
We’re proud to kick off the new year with a special announcement: Pencil is now available at Apple! For the first time ever, see Pencil up close and get it at your local Apple store.
Launched in November 2013, Pencil is a Bluetooth stylus designed for drawing and other creative activities on the iPad. The stylus includes palm rejection, surface pressure, and other functions such as erase and blend. Pricing starts at $49 for a graphite version and climbs to $59 for the hardwood walnut model.

FiftyThree’s Pencil iPad stylus is initially available in Apple stores in the US, UK, EU and Canada, with a global roll-out to follow soon.

While FiftyThree expands its retail presence, Apple is rumored to be preparing its own stylus to launch alongside the company’s rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro", claims KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The optional stylus accessory would presumably appeal to enterprise and creative users who can use the stylus to take advantage of the iPad Pro’s larger screen.

Article Link: FiftyThree's Popular 'Pencil' Stylus Now Available in Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:

ronaldhennessy

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Stylus haters are going to get MAD on the Internet™ about this.

Let it go.

(Though I prefer Adonit anyday.)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Me too, heh. I don't care for Paper either. Not because it isn't any good, it's brilliant. I don't like the gestures.

Me neither, I've tried it many times, but it just didn't work for me.

Has the Adonit sytlus ever scratched your screen?

----------

Stylus haters are going to get MAD on the Internet™ about this.

Let it go.

(Though I prefer Adonit anyday.)

Has the Adonit sylus ever scratched your screen? I've seen complaints about it.

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I’ve had this for a few months now, and it’s great for brainstorming ideas, and drawing quick sketches to show colleagues your intent.

For taking written notes however, I still prefer to use the native Notes app.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I've wondered about it, but haven't ponied up to make a purchase.
Would love to hear feedback (pros/cons) from some other users here on the forums.

... which I'm sure will happen whether I'm asking for it or not. :D

BonchaDotCom

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Stylus Envy

I get excited thinking about picking one of those up, then I remember that my iPad is too old to take advantage of all the features available with the stylus/app. Oh well.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I'm a college student. I both do artwork on my iPad and take notes in class and have hundreds of dollars in styluses I have tried out through the years in my desk right now.

I'd love for Apple to include pressure sensitivity in the iPad screen or create their own stylus that adds pressure sensitivity with a fine tip that is not half baked and also beef up wrist guard protection throughout their OS.

I'm sorry Steve Jobs and his fanatics but using only a finger to product sketches & notes, even over a short period of time (let alone the hours spent in a classroom) doesn't work.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I shelled out the bucks for Pencil... it's a piece of junk. :(

Those guys should stick to software. Paper is great (well, if you ignore its recently added social "features").

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I actually saw these in my local Apple Store about a month ago! I was surprised as I was a fan of the Paper app when it first came out and it's interesting to see how much they've expanded.

Wackadoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
Me neither, I've tried it many times, but it just didn't work for me.

Has the Adonit sytlus ever scratched your screen?

----------

Has the Adonit sylus ever scratched your screen? I've seen complaints about it.

Scratched the crap outta my iPad 2 back in the day when they first came out. Wrote to adonit about it and basically their response was **** happens. I will never purchased another adonit product nor will I or recommend them. Just about every other stylus nowadays is better anyway.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Well, Jobs can't veto styli anymore... Maybe Apple is warming up the process of warming up users to optional stylus use on a future iPad.

Personally, I seriously wish there already was a combo: Wacom stylus features with pressure, on a multitouch iPad operated by finger when you don't need to write/draw. Maybe the iPad Pro is that device. Since the rumors started, I've decided to, sigh, yet again, hold off my iPad purchase plans to see what materializes.

No, the Wacom-featured Android/Windows tablets aren't what I want.

Reactions: SaaGua

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe Apple is warming up the process of warming up users to optional stylus use on a future iPad.

Exactly my thoughts. One more small proof that the upcoming big iPad may have an stylus as an option.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Well, Jobs can't veto styli anymore... Maybe Apple is warming up the process of warming up users to optional stylus use on a future iPad.

Personally, I seriously wish there already was a combo: Wacom stylus features with pressure, on a multitouch iPad operated by finger when you don't need to write/draw. Maybe the iPad Pro is that device. Since the rumors started, I've decided to, sigh, yet again, hold off my iPad purchase plans to see what materializes.

No, the Wacom-featured Android/Windows tablets aren't what I want.

If memory serves me correctly, Jobs was referring to using a stylus on the phone, not a tablet.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Me too, heh. I don't care for Paper either. Not because it isn't any good, it's brilliant. I don't like the gestures.

I love Adonit. I have three of them. I was a huge pen and paper note taker until I ran across them. I finally had a reason to by am iPad to supplement my iPhone and MacBook Air!! They are amazing!

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I love Adonit. I have three of them. I was a huge pen and paper note taker until I ran across them. I finally had a reason to by am iPad to supplement my iPhone and MacBook Air!! They are amazing!

Which one is your favourite and why? I'm torn between the the touch and the script. Use would be basic photo editing and note taking, I'm no artist :)

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.