Pencil won’t pair

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Anybody have any issues pairing their pencil to their iPad Pro? (1st gen Pencil and iPP)
I got a hand-me-down pencil from someone, but every time I try to pair it, it pairs for a split second then immediately unpairs.
I went in to an Apple store and they couldn’t figure it out and told me that I could only buy a new pencil since it wasn’t under warranty. But I wanted to first see if anyone here might have any thoughts. We tried my iPP with another pencil and it worked, and we tried my pencil with another iPP and it didn’t work, so we know the problem is with the pencil. We tried unpairing everything before pairing as well (it was also unpaired from the iPad of the person who gave me the pencil).
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Stupid question but is the pencil fully charged? Good luck
Thanks, there’s no way to tell what the charge level is since it won’t pair, but it should definitely have enough charge.

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Thanks, there’s no way to tell what the charge level is since it won’t pair, but it should definitely have enough charge.
You may not be able to tell the charge level, but I'd stick it in the lightning port and let it sit there for a good long while-- 10min is probably enough, but I'd maybe leave it for 30 to be sure.

I'd also go into my Bluetooth settings and remove anything that might be a pencil.

Toggle BT on and off, power the device on and off, force restart the device...

There's also this article that might help.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236#pair-help

Before buying a new pencil, you might want to ask the Apple store to pair with one they have laying around to see if it works. No sense buying a new pencil until you've actually seen your iPP pair with something...

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
You may not be able to tell the charge level, but I'd stick it in the lightning port and let it sit there for a good long while-- 10min is probably enough, but I'd maybe leave it for 30 to be sure.

I'd also go into my Bluetooth settings and remove anything that might be a pencil.

Toggle BT on and off, power the device on and off, force restart the device...

There's also this article that might help.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236#pair-help

Before buying a new pencil, you might want to ask the Apple store to pair with one they have laying around to see if it works. No sense buying a new pencil until you've actually seen your iPP pair with something...
Thanks, I tried all that, and everything in the article. And the pencil was charged a couple times, I believe once overnight. As I mentioned in my OP, I already successfully paired a different pencil with my iPad, as well as unsuccessfully tried to pair my pencil with another iPad; so the issue is definitely with the pencil and not with the iPad. Appreciate the input though.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I had two Apple pencils do the same for me. Had not used them for months and when I tried they were none responsive. I just ordered the Logitech Crayon as it has an off and on switch. Fingers crossed.

StumpJumper

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
My apple pencil 2 refused to sync or charge with my 2018 12.9 iPad pro.

I spent a long time researching and trying all the suggestions online but nothing worked.

I tried restoring the iPad from a previous backup thinking it may help, but the pencil still refused to sync.

As a last ditch attempt I completely erased the iPad and set it up as a new iPad (not using one of my previous backups).

I quickly skipped through the set-up procedure ignoring wi-fi and face ID settings, as I just wanted to test the pencil and sure enough it synced perfectly and started charging.

Unfortunately it meant I had to re-download all my apps and photos (basically having to set the iPad up again from scratch), but at least the pencil started working again.

Would definitely recommend giving it a try if you haven't already.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Does the pencil connect through Bluetooth? Do you think forgetting the device would work?

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I got a pencil with my 10.5 pro about 15 months ago. About 2 months ago it started acting weird. It would actually DRAIN while plugged into the iPad. It was like it was charging the iPad instead of reverse It was exchanged since it was covered by AppleCare purchased with the iPad....

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I had two Apple pencils do the same for me. Had not used them for months and when I tried they were none responsive. I just ordered the Logitech Crayon as it has an off and on switch. Fingers crossed.
I think my pencil hadn’t been used for awhile too. I wonder if that’s the issue. But it had some response, it would at least pair for a split second and be recognized as a Bluetooth device. But if simply not using the pencil for a long time causes it to stop working then that is awful. I’ve always said the pencil needs an off switch. I was very disappointed the gen 2 pencil didn’t get one. I’d go with the crayon but I need pressure sensitivity.

I spent a long time researching and trying all the suggestions online but nothing worked.

I tried restoring the iPad from a previous backup thinking it may help, but the pencil still refused to sync.

As a last ditch attempt I completely erased the iPad and set it up as a new iPad (not using one of my previous backups).

I quickly skipped through the set-up procedure ignoring wi-fi and face ID settings, as I just wanted to test the pencil and sure enough it synced perfectly and started charging.

Unfortunately it meant I had to re-download all my apps and photos (basically having to set the iPad up again from scratch), but at least the pencil started working again.

Thanks. But did your pencil not pair with other iPads either? Mine wouldn’t, and other pencils were able to pair to my iPad. So I’m certain the issue is with the pencil, not the iPad. The only way I could see that working for me is if somehow pairing it to a fresh iPad somehow resets the pencil and restores it? But that’s a lot of work for something I don’t think is going to work. Maybe I’ll try asking the Apple store if they have a fresher iPad I can test the pencil with.

Does the pencil connect through Bluetooth? Do you think forgetting the device would work?
I did try that with no success, thanks.

I got a pencil with my 10.5 pro about 15 months ago. About 2 months ago it started acting weird. It would actually DRAIN while plugged into the iPad. It was like it was charging the iPad instead of reverse It was exchanged since it was covered by AppleCare purchased with the iPad....
That is very strange. Glad you got it all worked out though.

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014

Actually, I think your solution might be valid! It didn’t end up working for me, but there was (apparent) progress. What I mean is, at first I couldn’t even pair my pencil to my iPad for more than a split second, but when I tried to pair it to a brand new iPad, it paired long term and would begin charging. Kind of. In my case it only stayed connected while it was charging. As soon as I unplugged it would disconnect. (It was the same whether charging using the iPad or a cable, and even after charging overnight.) So maybe my issue is different, or maybe my pencil is too far gone, but definitely connecting to a brand new iPad does something. So anyone else with similar issues should definitely try it.

A couple more details of my experience... the first time I plugged it into the new iPad, it paired but didn’t charge—it just stayed at somewhere from 1%-3%. Then when I plugged it in again, it would start to charge. It would get to 100% rather quickly. As I said, when I unplugged, it would disconnect. And when I plugged it in again, it would start over at 1%-3% and charge again. Obviously something was wrong there.
And as soon as I told the new iPad to “forget” the pencil, it was back to my original problem—it would only pair for a split second again. I had to reset the iPad again.

Also, on a side note, do you think the pencil would have continued to work if you had restored your iPad to a previous backup, so that you didn’t have to redownload all your apps etc?

StumpJumper

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Also, on a side note, do you think the pencil would have continued to work if you had restored your iPad to a previous backup, so that you didn’t have to redownload all your apps etc?
Hi, I tried restoring from a previous backup and it didn't work - the pencil simply refused to pair or charge. Thats when as a last ditch effort I completely wiped the ipad and set it up as a new device and the pencil then paired and worked perfectly (I didn't have any issues after that).

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Hi, I tried restoring from a previous backup and it didn't work - the pencil simply refused to pair or charge. Thats when as a last ditch effort I completely wiped the ipad and set it up as a new device and the pencil then paired and worked perfectly (I didn't have any issues after that).
Oh what I meant was—after you set it up as a new device, got your pencil working (before re downloading all your apps), THEN restored your iPad to a previous backup, I wonder if the pencil would have continued to keep working.

ET007

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Anybody have any issues pairing their pencil to their iPad Pro? (1st gen Pencil and iPP)
I got a hand-me-down pencil from someone, but every time I try to pair it, it pairs for a split second then immediately unpairs.
I went in to an Apple store and they couldn’t figure it out and told me that I could only buy a new pencil since it wasn’t under warranty. But I wanted to first see if anyone here might have any thoughts. We tried my iPP with another pencil and it worked, and we tried my pencil with another iPP and it didn’t work, so we know the problem is with the pencil. We tried unpairing everything before pairing as well (it was also unpaired from the iPad of the person who gave me the pencil).
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I had the exact same problem. I googled, etc, but could not come up with a solution so I took it to my local apple store last Sunday.

I believe the firmware is an older firmware on the pencil and I was sure that once the firmware was updated it would work. Unfortunately, it would only stay connected for a few seconds so I could not update the firmware. I was hoping the Apple Store would be able to update the firmware for me. The lady tried it on other iPads in the store but encountered the same problem. She told me the only thing she could do was sell me a renewed one. I was extremely disappointed since it was a brand new Apple Pencil that I purchased over a year ago but never used until I purchased the Mini 5.

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I had the exact same problem. I googled, etc, but could not come up with a solution so I took it to my local apple store last Sunday.

I believe the firmware is an older firmware on the pencil and I was sure that once the firmware was updated it would work. Unfortunately, it would only stay connected for a few seconds so I could not update the firmware. I was hoping the Apple Store would be able to update the firmware for me. The lady tried it on other iPads in the store but encountered the same problem. She told me the only thing she could do was sell me a renewed one. I was extremely disappointed since it was a brand new Apple Pencil that I purchased over a year ago but never used until I purchased the Mini 5.
Yeah sounds just like my story. Yours being the third example, I really think the pencil not being in use for so long was the cause of the issue. Battery probably degraded. Ridiculous that this is the case, but it is what it is. Not being under warranty, they also offered me a “newish” pencil—for 20% off but took 75% off the warranty period. That’s not even a deal so I didn’t take it. Plus I would have had to give them my old pencil, which they’ll probably go ahead and replace the battery and sell for 95% profit. Of course, I don’t know what I’m going to do with a broken pencil. But I’d much rather buy a new pencil with full warranty for only $20 more.
If you haven’t yet, I would really try StumpJumper’s suggestion of setting up your iPad as new, then trying to pair the pencil. It didn’t quite work for me (you can read my experience above), but it did pair a little longer at least, and it worked for StumpJumper. Just be sure to make a backup of your iPad that you can restore to afterward. If you try this, let me know if it works for you, I’d be very curious to find out.