Pending crisis at The Daily Show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"A day after Trevor Noah was declared the new host of "The Daily Show," complete with the blessing of the exiting Jon Stewart, graphic tweets targeting women, Jews and Middle America are causing a social media backlash."

Uh-oh.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A comedian telling jokes, oh my.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

In today's world? Jamie Foxx is presently being excoriated for cracking a joke about Bruce Jenner. He said:

"We got some groundbreaking performances, here too, tonight," Foxx said. "We got Bruce Jenner, who will be doing some musical performances. He's doing a his-and-her duet all by himself."

...and the Outrage Machine went into maximum overdrive.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Some out there are more sensitive about their ox being gored that others. Everyone is fair game in comedy. There are those comedians who are intentionally controversial, as well as those comedians who offer an occasional refreshing breather from overbearing political correctness.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm still on the fence about whether the Internet's Outrage Machine is a bug or a feature. When aimed at a state legislature, it seems positive and helpful in exposing bad law and ensuring it is changed.

On the other hand, when aimed at people, it starts to resemble the ravening army of ant-like zombies in World War Z—knocking over buses and crawling up buildings without any logic or regard.

Imagine the social media trail of Jon Stewart. He was in Halfbaked and Death to Smoochy. He's fully capable of bad choices.

6. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Absolutely *loved* Death To Smoochy... One's person's comedy, is another's...

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Thank God, another "Death to Smoochy" fan!

That film was a heartbreaking work of staggering comedic genius and the first time I gazed upon the subtle beauty of Catherine Keener. J.S. was pretty funny, too, but Robin Williams stole the show.

All hail Smoochy.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Alright, I heard enough. Now I have to go search out Death to Smoochy. :)

9. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Roger Ailes and Rupert must be happy with the dustup at Comedy Central. The Daily Show, being the only antagonist and anti-dote to their propaganda/lies machinery, is entering a nebulous period of disarray.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I might have to go watch that movie again.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Hopefully we've peaked on the outrage machine. I haven't seen a silly flareup in at least... a month? Then again, I deleted Facebook three months ago. That goes a long way towards walking away from the pettiness. And, for that matter, only occasionally visiting this forum.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

13. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Correct but I was referring to the throwing of the first punch in the ongoing feud between the Daily Show and Faux News.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It depends on how it's used, as you do a good job illustrating. When affecting change on a government level, it's an excellent tool for amassing people to allow their voices to be heard. It is, by and far, the most effective tool for democracy we've ever had.

But when it's used to piledrive relatively innocent people who's only "crime" is making a tweet or post that might be considered in bad taste, it's the worst thing in the world. People will freak out and destroy lives over the smallest things. And they do it with such glee. It's gotten to the point that social justice, once a very good thing, has taken on some really negative connotations for me.

16. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Fair enough. ;)

17. dannyyankou, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  18. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Enjoyed that article. Think it can apply to most places though, not only the U.S. All PC-ed up...

I agree with some of what was said, about how TN won't really sync with the U.S. sense of humor- but then again, he might bring plenty of different perspectives - which could also be interesting.

That all being said - he's South African. God knows they understand having to shrug shoulders, and get on with it. Else they'd all go mad. It's a very unique country in that sense - and will be very interesting to see how it plays out in this context.

19. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I'm the biggest LGBT supporter you'll find and I think that's ***** hilarious. What's wrong with people? Comedians make jokes. This isn't a news reporter or a politician saying it.

----------

Oh god, just reading that title is nauseating. They would be defending him to the death if the faux outrage was over jokes he said about muslims, atheists, liberals, etc. But because it's about the daily show they will pile it on making him look like an awful person.

20. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Salon and Vox are outraged about something? Oh, surprise, surprise. They make their living on trumping up hurt feelings. It's not even surprising that Fox is aligning with them in condemnation. They're just as stupid. Left or right, doesn't matter. They all horseshoe back to the same melting pot of internet outrage silliness.

I'm quickly losing faith in the potential for what the Internet was heralded to be. It used to be a bastion of free thought and speech, and void of any attempt for censorship. The wild west, of sorts. Now it's being reduced to the worst of policing.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ing_you_were_angry_about_on_social_media.html

21. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's actually really funny. Even to me, and I'm shocked I know who Bruce Jenner even is!