Pennsylvania GOP highlights Rev. Wright in final ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/02/campaign.wrap/index.html

"If you think you could ever vote for Barack Obama, consider this: Obama chose as his spiritual leader this man," the ad's narrator says before clips of Wright's controversial statements are shown.

"Does that sound like someone who should be president?" the ad asks.

McCain knows he needs Pennsylvania to have a chance at winning and it looks like he is going deep into the gutter to try and pull out a victory. Will it work? I'm not sure. Sometimes attack ads work and sometimes they can have the reverse effect. Surely everyone knows the whole deal behind Wright at this point, however I guess they think if they throw it in the voters face one more time they might change their mind.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe the GOP should've asked Hillary how well the Rev. Wright crap worked out for her

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Waste of money. Pennsylvania isn't dumb enough to go red overnight because of this.

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

What about all of those poor people who are angry and cling to their religion and guns? They're dumb enough to go red.

5. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I just saw a Wright ad here in Florida. It's paid for by an RNC PAC.

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Didn't work for Hillary, won't work for McCain. In fact I think it may benefit the Democrats, much like Elizabeth Dole's "Godless Americans" ad.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

They're already voting Red. ;)

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If McCain wins because of this crap this country is in deep trouble.

10. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I think this add is to little to late i dont think this will have any effect at all

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You obviously don't realize just how stupid and brainwashed most Americans are.

12. scu macrumors regular

Maybe.

92% of the national voters have made up their mind so this ad won't make much difference to them, unless they find it shocking enough to change their mind. I doubt it at this stage

But the key is the 8.7% who claim to be undecided according to the TIPP poll. This ad is for them. However even that fact is not relevant since it is the state polls where the rubber meets the road.

In Pennsylvania according to Rasmussen there are only 2% undecided while according to Mason they number 10%.

someone is way off in some of these states and come Wednesday they will wonder what went wrong.

13. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Not everyone who is undecided 48-72 hours before an election actually votes, even if the pollster decides that they're "likely" voters. So, even if the undecided is 10%, which I doubt, if 70% of them vote, that would be a huge percentage of those people voting. Then, even if they go 70% for McCain, which would be a huge number for him, he's not picking up what he needs in Pennsylvania, as long as Obama gets the turnout of his suporters that he's counting on.

14. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Utterly filled with cynicism, some months ago, I predicted a McCain victory. I still stand by that prediction, and yet, while I don't favor this outcome, events have made the manner in which it may happen the most irritating and disheartening way possible. The RNC and various 527 groups are clearly running the different Rev. Wright ads in ALL the toss-up states AND Pennsylvania... and they will be running the ads until and during election day. The last 24 hour time window will be spent discussing the tactic and the topic.

One McCain advisor said that this election will be about "character", some analysts have said it'll be about "race", the Obama campaign has said it's clearly about the "economy". There are aspects of truth in all of these... But I believe the SHARED truth, is that this election is a referendum on Barrack Housein Obama, and whether his journey as a politician finally "closed the deal" with the American public.

Success or failure, we'll know very shortly.

~ CB

15. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Hmm, I dunno. If it's a referendum on anything, it's the Bush League neo/theo-conservatism, Rovian politics of fear and Reaganomics. That stuff is the worst thing about America, hands down, and needs to be cast out with a resounding "nay".

We'll see, but IMO there are signs of a potential Bradley effect hidden among those undecideds:

Mostly white men in the Midwest and South, 45 or older, eh? Coincidence? I think not. These are the guys who plan to vote against the black guy, but won't say so. Even if only 1/4 of these "undecideds" actually go ahead and put this thought into action, that's 2% of all likely voters, and considering the fact that 537 votes was all it took to tip the scale in Bush's favor in 2000, I'd worry about those "undecideds" if I were Obama.

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It's a referendum on that too... but in my opinion, that's simply the other side of the coin. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that this election is about John McCain. It's CLEARLY about Barrack Obama, as much as its about George Bush/the Republican Brand/Rovian Politics. On "Reagonomics" it gets a big "maybe" to me. While Obama made a STRONG argument that its trickle-UP and not trickle-DOWN (and I agree), I think there are many that are hurting enough to simply want the tax breaks and couldn't care less about the economic philosophies behind why its good for the market. In the end, its far less about economic theories, than about who people BELIEVE can lead us out of the current economic crisis... and its an emotional choice, not an intellectual one for many voters.

In the battle for hearts and minds, I think this election's casualties have been: George W Bush (his "perpetual campaign" started in 1999 has finally ended almost a decade later), the Republican Brand (ashes to ashes, Libertarians on the rise), and Rovian politics (got its ass kicked by the drum beat of the Internet, and highly mobilized, grassroots efforts).

The clincher of everything that went wrong with the GOP however, is Barack Obama.

Why this election has been a referendum of Obama, is this... If for ONE MOMENT, most people believed in the *significance* and/or *veracity* of the same charges made against Gore and Kerry... his liberalism, his faith, his patriotism, his character, and his bipartisanship... if they believed that Obama has "just another politician" and did not represent "change" as he said he did... this election would have been over a long time ago. It began when the RNC began trying to win seats by connecting Democratic candidates to Obama... and we saw it fail. And in recent weeks, Obama's coattails became so long, that even GOP candidates began mentioning him posititvely, and trying to connect themselves to him and not as much to their own party. When Colin Powell said that Barack Obama had passed the measure of whether he was presidential material, in the words of one Powell associate, it was the "good house keeping seal of approval".

While its true, that McCain threw away some of his most powerful "weapons" against an Obama win (the "experience" argument, his appearance as "steady" and not "erratic", and some negative lines of attack), there have been lingering questions about Obama that still needed to be answered. The Clintons themselves were privately quoted as being very doubtful about Democratic chances, were Obama to get the nomination, and a string of unequivocal rejections to possible offers of the vice-presidency began to look like Obama might be facing something of a revolt in his own party.

At this point however, it looks like the jury is IN. Polls are back at a 9 point lead, and it looks like America is about to experience a truly historic vote in a multitude of measures. In 4 years however, we will have another referendum on Barack Obama and the Democratic-led legislative branch. If nothing else, that will likely be much more telling with regards to where the country is going.

If nothing else, a possible Obama PRESIDENCY will be a referendum on Reaganomics. We'll have an answer in 4-8 years.

~ CB

17. scu macrumors regular

All very good points. We are also assuming that the polls are right about the number of undecideds.

It will boil down to turnout. So far Obama is showing a better ground game in Pennsylvania, I just wonder why McCain is spending so much time and money in a state that most polls show him losing by as many of 13 points.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I just saw a Wright commercial here in SoCal this morning, first one I've seen. What a waste of money...

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have a theory on that but it sounds like a conspiracy theory so I won't mention it.

*Diabold* *Cough* *Cough* *Diabold*

20. gibbz macrumors 68030

This ad appeared in Oklahoma last night. I find this very humorous because (sadly) Oklahoma is 60%+ in favor of McCain :(. I can say this because I live here, but a majority of people here will vote Republican nationally because they are susceptible to the bigoted rhetoric spewed by the far right. Unfortunately, our state is well behind the curve of progressive thinking.

21. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Even if the machines count the votes correctly (a big if), there are breakdowns. Initially there was a decision in PA. that they couldn't turn to paper ballots unless 100% of the machines in a precinct had broken down. That would mean a 2-5 hour wait would turn into a day(s)-long wait if only 1-2 machines were "working." I never saw how the lawsuit about that turned out.

McCain has very few ways of getting to 270 without PA. Luckily, Obama has numerous ways to do it.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I saw one today in the Bay Area...talk about an extreme waste of money. :D

Seriously, does the RNC really think negative campaigning is going to work in California?

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

These were 527 ads, no? I guess anywhere with tight downticket races is fair game; they're worried about losses all over the country.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

They've shown this same ad in Portland at least 10 times today and at one time 4 in a row.

Talk about a waste of money..:rolleyes:

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think it was a 527, but there aren't really any downticket races in the Bay Area the GOP can even contest.

All of the House seats have been Democratic for some time, and the state assembly seats are the same.

Maybe they have a secret strategy: confuse voters with their erratic tactics that they end up making the wrong choice. :eek::p