Pennsylvania Judge Sold 5,000 Teenagers to Prisons

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xShane, Jun 2, 2013.

1. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

A Pennsylvania judge has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for "selling" teenagers to prisons.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pen...-28-years-prison-for-selling-teens-to-prisons

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Who though, is actually surprised that private prisons are involved in such things? This is only one of the cases we know about.

Praise capitalism and privatization of government facilities and tasks.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The judge should have been sentenced to life in prison not just 28 years.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yay America :rolleyes:

I'd just love to the the race and socioeconomic back ground of these teens

4. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Give him one year for every life he screwed over. That's 5000 years. Not life, but 5000 years. He broke the US constitution by doing this and in some parts that is treason.

In my eyes this is one of the worst crimes ever a human can to towards another human. Deny them their rights as fellow human beings. Denying human rights, that's what happened to slaves of the past.

5. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

I bet there are a lot of prison shanks with his name on it, just waiting for him.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed, this is ******** that he can possibly see the light of day again. One poor kid killed himself because of his sentence.

Every single teenager sentenced by this ******** should have their record wiped clean.

7. the8thark, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013

the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

This information and news story is about 2 years old.

First posted 08/11/1 (kept the US date style way cause it's US news)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/mark-ciavarella-jr_n_924324.html

Unjustly? Right on. He should be known as the "child destroying" judge.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am not sure which is more scary, the fact that this went undetected long enough that it affected 5000 people, or that this involved two judges. It also makes we wonder about the UK. Somebody I know got caught up in the London riots and peaked into a store that had been looted. The person did not take anything, or encourage anybody else to do so, but was initially sentenced to three years from crossing the threshold of the store (burglary...:rolleyes:). On appeal the sentence was changed to community service and meetings with a social worker.

I do wonder what counts as 'quality control' for a judge. If a judge has a statistical pattern of anomalous sentences, then this type of corruption should be easy to spot. Does anybody ever check....?

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

The moment I ever heard of private prisons, I knew this would happen. In fact, there's no way, with the way the US currently runs, that it wouldn't happen. Have one person (company) who makes money from incarcerated people, and another who incarcerates those people, the two will meet and figure out a way to make more money. It's inevitable.

And as you said, this is just the one we know about. There are more, no doubt about it. Despicable.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Maybe it was over a really long period of time, but with the speed courts can run through sentencing on plea deals this could literally be something that happened over the course of a couple of years.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Anyone know if this guy is actually in prison now? Sometimes that takes a while in a case like this.

Also, there was a second judge involved. Has he made it to prison yet?

So, did any of the private prison company officials go to prison? Sure, they were no doubt "extorted", but, they were also making a profit on false imprisonment. There are laws against bribing a public official.

Are the companies still in business? I would like to think that they have been shut down and any assets they had sold, with the proceeds to benefit the victims.

This was all predicted, of course, when private prisons first came about. But, the scale of this, that it went undetected on so many cases, no doubt surprised even the critics.

12. iMikeT, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013

iMikeT macrumors 68020

Mark Ciavarella was wrong and deserves a harsher sentence than 28 years. I say he gets double the combined number of years that those 5,000 people were wrongly imprisoned, a public apology to each person he sentenced, and being forced to confront each person he sentenced when ever they please.

13. chown33 macrumors 604

It's more of a lease than an actual sale.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Not really. The teenagers constituted a consumable resource for the prisons. You buy a sandwich, a gallon of gas or a pair of socks, and you use it until it is used up or worn out.

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

but the kids can be released then put back in (double your fun)..the second time through he'll/she'll be an ex-con worthy of nothing but scorn and the harshest penalties, of course he'll/she'll not be able to higher an attorney (see above) our recidivism rate shows this painful fact..

Combine that with minority and you end up with a person dependent on society which of course makes them lazy good for nothings. Then we wonder why their angry and violent and don't "just pick them selves up by their boot straps" they "obviously haven't applied themselves" or the new term "invested in themselves"

16. chown33 macrumors 604

The lease terms had an end date: the end of the prisoner's sentence (discounting life-term sentences). After that time, they are no longer the "property" of the lessee, and any residual value of the resource reverts to the "owner" of the leased asset (presumably the freed prisoner). During the term of the lease, the assets cannot be resold, damaged (beyond normal wear and tear), or destroyed (barring accidents). Excessive damage or destruction is usually covered by a clause in the lease.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Except the lessee is the state, which is effectively leasing some real estate from the prison, so the "selling" would be in terms of a contract, it was "selling" because the judge was receiving per-head compensation for the sentenced contracts.

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Name that party!

Yet more proof of how biased the press is: Guess which party Ciavarella belonged to when he ran for judge?

Since the reporter failed to mention it, he must be a Democrat!

Source

And that's the norm for political reporting: Republicans have their party affiliation trumpeted by the press when they commit crimes, whereas Democrats have their party membership hidden. It's no surprise at all that the vast majority of Americans think the press is dishonest and biased.

19. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Who cares what political party this person barracks for. Man does wrong. Man should go to jail for an appropriate length of time. Simple. But this Judge broke that rule in the worst way possible.

20. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Republicans just love to play victim. :rolleyes:

Exactly. It doesn't matter if this guy were any other party, even if he were more left, he deserves to go to prison.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

What else could you say, that the press isn't biased? After all, I've set the proof that they are right there for all to see.

----------

It matters enough that the press deliberately hides his political affiliation. The Democrat will go to jail, but if the press points out that he's a Democrat criminal, it might keep a Democrat from replacing him in the next election.

So they cover up the fact he's a Democrat.

Hear that crash? That's another newspaper and/or magazine going out of business because the public no longer trusts reporters.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Some are. Some aren't. Much like anything, it depends on where you look. I do know it's a rare thing for the press to draw attention to someone political affiliation if they do something illegal beyond the sphere of their party.

23. iMikeT macrumors 68020

The mainstream media is biased. However, their bias is in favor of Republicans. The mainstream media gives Republicans all the the talking time they want. And it's only "fair and balanced" when stories are told only from a Republican point of view.

Look, I'm no Democrat as I've said it before, I am registered as an independent and didn't vote for Obama. I'm looking at reporting objectively and I see the bias favoring Republicans.

The problem we have in our country is the fact that the mainstream media isn't reporting news but spicing up news and making it entertainment.

Either way, back on topic with the fact that this disgraced judge deserves a harsher sentence. It is useless to politicize this.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

This is quite chortleworthy. Please give me five examples of the mainstream news media being biased toward Republicans.