Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Threatens To Disenfranchise Nearly 10 Percent Of Voters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/05/pennsylvania-voter-id-law_n_1652469.html

Once upon a time, citizens who didn't own property were frequently disenfranchised. Similarly, today, people who don't drive are increasingly discriminated against.

It will be an effective strategy for the Republican Party if they can get away with it. In 2008, Obama won by a landslide in most dense urban areas, while McCain did much better in suburban and rural areas.

2. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

Uh you just need a state ID not a drivers license.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah it looks like other IDs are allowed, still a problem as not everyone has those, but not necessarily 10% of the population.

One thing slightly unrelated, but it being from Pennsylvania reminded me. How do these voter ID laws work with absentee ballots?

I have a friend from Pennsylvania who attends the same school as I do in Canada. I'm assuming this friend is still registered to vote in Pennsylvania, she lives there in the summer, but won't be there in November. It doesn't seem like you can easily show an ID with an absentee ballot mailed from out of the country so can she not vote in that case, or how does it work? anyone know?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Two telling paragraphs from the OP's link:
    And to think, I always thought Republicans wanted fewer, not more, government rules and regulations. Noting like spending tax payers' time and money to pass a law targeting a practically non-existant problem.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This. State's that pass these laws are, at best, inconveniencing thousands of voters to solve a nonexistent problem. At worst, they're actively trying to create a new poll tax to limit minority voters.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suspect it will get struck down by the courts.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Indiana passed a similar law in '05 and SCOTUS upheld it in '08.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Even though Voter ID laws is a move by the GOP to prevent voters who usually vote Democrat from voting, I am for it. You should show ID of who you are when you vote.

But since not everyone can afford to get an official ID, the state should help out providing those people with getting one.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Bring your SS card if you don't drive. There's no reason you shouldn't have to show ID to vote.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Constitution is unambiguous. People have the right to vote. Period. No ID required. You walk in, you vote. The right to vote is far more clear than the right to bear arms; why does the right defend that right while actively trying to violate the Constitutional rights of the poor, minorities, students and the elderly?

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"People" could be visitors from another country. By your definition they should be allowed to vote also. I have no problem with requiring ID to buy a firearm.

13. davidinva macrumors 6502a

In Virginia, we are issued a voter id card when we register to vote. Your name is checked against the voter registration list when you show up to vote. A new law took effect on July 1 that a personal id is required to vote. Virginia DMV issues a personal id to those who want one and do not have or want a driver's license. Why would anyone be allowed to vote without id?

Reminds me of my early days in Missouri when the slogan was "vote early and often".

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You will be asked to provide proof of voter fraud when we don't ID people to vote.

15. lannisters4life, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I love experts. :rolleyes:

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You should, we prevent radical ideas and bad facts from poisoning the well. Yes, it was a mixed metaphor, but it worked.

There is virtually no proof that there is a need for voter ID laws, and there is a mountain of evidence that voter ID laws violate individuals' constitutional rights. So, based on that alone, WTF?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And those people don't bother to vote in US elections so?

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Apparently quite a few folks aren't really understanding what is going on. Let me spell it out for you:

1) These laws are being concocted not to address a real problem, because the systematic voting fraud is extremely rare these days. (As an aside, sometimes phony voter registration figures as a part of identity theft/financial fraud. These laws may have a positive side effect with respect to this.)

2) The laws are disproportionately affecting specific groups, some combination of: old, black, women, urban, etc. Many old people were not born in hospitals and did not automatically get birth certificates. (One of my family members was born at home. Not unusual then.) Many older urban people never learned to drive and did not get drivers licenses.

3) By discriminating against particular groups, these laws should have been tossed out as violating various laws such as the Voting Rights Act.

4) In certain states, these laws will likely affect the outcome of elections. Such as Pennsylvania.

5) Voter suppression efforts by the Republican Party were successful in 2008, and, you are seeing 10X the effort this year. Getting angry yet? Let's see you volunteer to help re-register older Pennsylvania voters before it is too late. :rolleyes: :mad:

So, if you think it is OK to disallow the votes of U.S. citizens because you don't like the way they vote, then, I guess you are probably a Republican in favor of these laws and voter suppression efforts. Welcome to the 19th century. (Another aside: in the 19th century, voting fraud and voter suppression were quite commonplace.)

19. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

All right, hit me with some more expertise, I can do this all day.

20. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

How is this at all discriminating? Everyone should have ID in case they are in an accident or for some reason someone needs to identify who they are.

Making this is an issue is bull.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Didn't even know this was an issue. I've always had to show an ID when I voted. I also know many people who have state issued ID's that aren't driving licenses.

All in all, this should help prevent people going back and voting over and over again.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The GOP are making this an issue in an attempt to violate peoples' Constitutional rights. Period. What do you not get about that. There are already systems in place that are all but perfect in preventing in-person voting fraud, and yet, for some reason the GOP has run a scare campaign to require IDs, purge voter roles, and make it more difficult to register voters.

THEY ARE TRYING TO STEAL THE ELECTION, and then complain about Chicago politics.

23. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It's not. It's just a way for people to appear concerned about those who can't muster up the motivation to get off their ass long enough to go get an ID so that when Joe Blow shows up to his polling place we are reasonably assured that is, in fact, Joe Blow.

The issue has become politicized recently because, if we're being honest, the party that generally benefits from the lazy and coddled is raising six kinds of hell about this out of self-preservation. It's not like states that are instituting programs like this are making these IDs difficult to obtain....you just actually have to go get them.

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah, but dead voters and illegals don't carry a SS card or drivers license.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In this day and age you need an ID to do just about anything in this country, what is the problem?

Connecticut has always required ID to vote and we are the most liberal state in the country.