Penry MBP owners: Worth buying it now at unibody prices?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applecultvictim, Apr 18, 2009.

1. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

As some of you might remember the glassy debacle has got me tied up in knots as I absolutely cannot stand the screens. The penryn mbp has got a beautiful matte display and I can get it NEW at current unibody mbp prices, so I was wandering if it was worth it...it's last years tec lets face it, and apple just might give us matte for the mbp 15", plus it's hotter than anything now available and the screen tilt is a bummer since it is restrictive....the next thing on the line to buy would be an mba.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean you have to pay the same price for a year old machine as for a current model?

When I bought my UMBP 15" short before christmas for around 2000€, I could get an older 17" Penryn MBP for around 1500-1600€.

So if you have to pay the same price, get the the newer model, or wait til the next update to see, if Apple might release a Matter version for the 15" again.

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Gloss no loss

Have you tried using the glossy screen for prolonged periods, I have had mine for 2 weeks now - DVD's, word processing, video/photo edit etc

To be honest, the only problem I have with the glossy screen is that if the keyboard is lit up and the angle between screen and keyboard is low i.e. typing in bed, I can see the key reflection on the screen, otherwise I do not see what all the fuss is about.... I had the previous rev a intel MBP and q1GHz powerbook before that, and I think this screen is perfect for what I use it for...

I would always go for the latest tech I could afford, although my 3 year old MBP was only sold 3 weeks ago and performance was fine on it....but with snow leopard around the corner......who knows

4. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I too hate glossy screens. I can only work so long behind one, and I hate having to close my blinds to work. It's rather rediculous.

There is a place that will change your screen for a matte one: www.techrestore.com. It's 200 I believe.

I'd buy a previous gen 15" in a heartbeat but the whole Nvidia 8600GT GPU failure has me worried.

5. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, almost I get the midrange 15 penryn as much as the current entry unibody, but it's a brand new penryn.

@bcbur hey, thanks for the great reply, no I haven't used it extensively but I have tested extensively.

@groove Hey thanks for that!

6. SimD macrumors regular

Check the refurb store. Why would you consider buying for same price as UMBP?:confused:

Refurb = New in every way except it comes in a brown box instead of a white one. It's inspected before release and you can even get AppleCare on it.

Go Refurb. Save your money. :apple:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I despise glossy screens, but I'm used to it now and I don't notice it anymore; I only notice it when it's mentioned.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's been a lot of trash talk about the nvidia 8600 cards on those machines, and their alleged tendency to fail due to manufacturing defects. Make dang sure you get applecare on that sucker if you buy one.

I'd also check the price on mac2sell.net for a second opinion.

9. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the price I get at ebay. Haven't found any penryns in the u.k. refurb store.

hey guys, hey clyde thanks a lot.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it would be foolish to pay the same price for the old machine, even NIB...

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

ahh that's good news!

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I have a glossy penryn MBP classic. And i have played with the new ones at school and im just like......dang, thats bad, but to each their own i guess. I tell you what though, glossy on a classic is nothing like the glassy on the new ones.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Patience my friend. Just check back often and you will eventually see them.

14. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I bought my Early 2008 MBP (manufactured Oct 2008) in March this year for 1500€. It was the former mid level MBP. (see signature)