Pentecostal Evangelists Plan To Surround Charlotte Pride

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 21, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow-sounds like they want a war. I say let's give them one. :mad: My bold.

http://www.365gay.com/news/davis-pentecostal-evangelists-plan-to-surround-charlotte-pride/

Pride celebrations in Charlotte, North Carolina are scheduled for this weekend, July 25.

As an added treat for everyone, Pentecostal preachers Lou Engle and Michael Brown have announced plans to “surround” the Pride events with a hoped-for thousand flock members in order to “reach out to gays and lesbians with the compassion of Jesus.”

If you’re not reading carefully, it almost sounds like a nice thing.
    After all, there are many churches that genuinely do reach out to the LGBT community in love and equality. If I were a member of such I church, I would be pretty sick to death by now of the loonbats who have turned “Christian tolerance” into something you have to put quotation marks around half the time.

(Maybe we could use another phrase for the loonbat churches? Christian toolery? No, you’d still need quotation marks around “Christian.” )

Engle and Brown say they will not “harass or intimidate” anyone – unless you count the part where they plan to surround the entire park with people in T-shirts reading “God Has a Better Way.”

They also say that the rally is not “mean-spirited.” Except, of course, for the part where it is.

A thorough story by the Box Turtle Bulletin reports that the last time Brown and his friends showed up at Charlotte Pride, many participants felt intimidated.

And while Brown and Engle claim their group will simply be praying and singing, last time the praying happened through a powerful sound system.

Brown and Engle are openly hoping that the Charlotte Pride protest will have “a ripple effect around the nation” and begin the process of turning back gay rights.

A quick hunt around the Web probably won’t get you any more eager to invite Brown over to Sunday dinner. His open invitation to participants on the God Has a Better Way website features a video full of that creepy rhetorical technique in which the so-very-moral speaker has to smile and even laugh while ticking off the things that have outraged him to show you just how crazy the world has gotten.

Brown is also a big fan of the “gays are taking away our right to discriminate against them” talking points. And, really, I have to give credit to whoever came up with those, if only for the mental hoops one has to leap through to get there. Way to rationalize.

Brown and Engle insist that – in spite of some occasionally violent “spiritual warrior” rhetoric – their whole mission is about compassion. Because, you see, they would like for their churches to be a safe place for people to come and wrestle with unwanted homosexual feelings.

(Any wrestlers you’re thinking of in particular, fellas?)

Brown and Engle are of course within their rights to protest. I just wish they’d be less disingenuous about their reasons for doing so.

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
    -- Steven Weinberg.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Good luck with that. Assuming it'll probably turn out like that giant 15 person protest against Letterman, or the last Tea Party that no one heard anything about because it was an embarrassing spectacular failure. Meanwhile Utah (UTAH!) is still getting support for the kiss ins, and gays rights support is gaining in most places, barely failing in some propositions (vs. just a few years ago when it was a landslide against them), not to mention the places where it's winning.

Kinda curious if it gets any leverage, but for some reason, I doubt it will be much.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

They wouldn't be happy if large groups of non-Christians or atheists "surrounded" their religious events or Christmas nativity celebrations with T-shirts reading "I Love Islam" or "God is Dead" and gently tried to persuade them that Jesus is bunk and to quit worshipping a false prophet.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- they wouldn't. But they probably see our growing acceptance as exactly that.

6. Queso macrumors G4

A perfect time for a T-shirt with "Don't waste your time with religion. After all, you're a long time dead" written across the front.

7. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Kinda like how the anti-choice folks "surrounded" the March for Women's Lives several years back? ;)

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its going to be a fun Christmas season. I almost can't wait for the Christians to get riled up again on "their" holiday.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

What???

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He means the fictional "War on Christmas". It would be interesting if it existed.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are the people doing that would risk getting arrested. Also the arresting part would not be a volitional of the first amendment. The high courts have rules that much.
    The protest would not be allowed on church property (private property) and many cities have laws where mass protest are allowed to happen which has been held up in court that it is not a first amendment violation.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

So are you saying these people should be arrested as well? Or are they exempt?