People are still lukewarm on the president

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 23, 2014.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...mbers-not-great-but-holding-steady/?hpt=hp_t2

I take it he will never be popular like a Bill Clinton and if there's any big positives it will come long after he is out of office. I can see eventually the tag as being the man who saved us from a true depression and later generations will see him as a hero like FDR. Remember that FDR divided and wasn't as popular in his tenure, either. As it became evident of the huge task FDR had before him, he made it to the short list of one of the greats.

I am not a huge fan of Obama, either but he's far better than W and it's a darn good thing we didn't get that knee-jerk John McCain in there. I also don't think that Mr. "corporations are people" Romney would have been a good thing, either. If for some reason we have a nightmare in 2016 and elect someone like Perry or Cruz, then it will be sooner than later that we realize just how good Obama was in office.

But if we get Mrs. Clinton in 2016 and she's anything like her husband and sits in the WH during a period of serious economic growth, then Obama may not be seen as having been a good president.

I remember when this poll (or it could have been Fox) put Obama at 39% percent, so 42% percent is slightly better.

2. vrDrew, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Obama was elected probably a decade or two too early in our Nation's history to ever have a chance of being a widely loved President.

The sad reality is that there is a solid ~5% of the population that remains solidly racist, whether they admit it or not. And probably another 15% or so that probably leans that way. And at least some of those people would otherwise be Democratic voters - the same people who happily punched the ballot for Bill Clinton.

The other thing working against Obama's popularity is that he's something of an intellectual. Don't get me wrong: Bill Clinton the Rhodes Scholar was no dummy. But Clinton had a "common touch" that Obama simply doesn't have. And since he's never running for office again, I think Obama has pretty much given up trying to pretend he does. Witness the recent NY Times story about him enjoying late-night dinners in Italy:

By any objective standard, Obama has been a remarkable President. Healthcare Reform. Amazing advances in gay rights. Winding down useless wars. Destroying al-Quaeda. And - lest we forget - pulling the world economy back from the financial precipice, a very real possibility when he took office in 2009.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Obama ran on the slogan 'change' but really didn't change much. I am appalled that he is still carrying out drone attacks. It is only a matter of time before terrorists reciprocate. If Obama had stuck more to ideals, I would have a higher opinion of him.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Did you make these numbers up?

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Most stats are..... :p

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It's a shame that in this country, this is seen as a bad thing.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do you think people would truthfully answer poll questions about their level of racism?

Its an estimate. Mainly based on comparisons with how white Democratic candidates fared in elections with and without Obama on the ticket.

But its also based on findings like this one

In short, I don't think it is ever going to be possible to get a precise and accurate measure of how racism affects Presidential popularity and politics. But its absurd to pretend that racism isn't playing at least some part. I say it accounts for roughly 10-15% of the negative vote against Obama. Maybe thats too high. But its not zero.

8. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Denying this can be considered racism IMO

9. 63dot, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I don't like to hear this but I think it's probably way more than zero.

Overall, if he were white, I think his poll numbers would be a few points higher. No matter how good the job he is doing, there will always be a few who think negatively about him due to race. Even that being said, it's an amazing feat he pulled off by being the first black president. I think Colin Powell could have pulled this off earlier but he decided to stay out of elected office. But what was he going to do, run in 1992 at the height of his popularity against fellow republican George HW Bush? By the time 1996 rolled around the Clinton-Gore administration was sitting over what would become the longest period of economic growth in US history and Powell was finished as far as presidential aspirations. Whoever was to run for the GOP in 1996 was a total sitting duck. By 2000, it was Colin "who"?

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Based on numbers that I have posted before from Pew, etc., the numbers are on the low side. But, I don't mind people being optimistic.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You know which other President was an intellectual? The Peanut Farmer. Possibly the smartest President ever, but completely ineffectual. Obama's failing is his lack of political savvy and cussedness need to push his policies through Congress.

He was riding a huge wave of popularity back in 2008. If he had half the savvy of LBJ, our troops would have been back home in '09 and our economy off life support. He couldn't push his policy of change through Congress in his first term. It seem like he's given up trying in his second.

If not for the stupid term limits, Bubba might still be President now. Imagine what 'Murica would be like if it wasn't for Dubba Yah's reign of error.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

LBJ, Reagan, and Clinton all operated at a time when it was possible for Presidents to cajole votes out of opposition politicians through the adroit use of earmarks and other incentives.

With those gone - all in the name of transparency - every issue comes down to simple partisanship.

Its an unpopular position, but you can make a very good case that a little bit of corruption goes a long way towards making a functioning Government.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Of course I do. They answer truthfully about much more intimate and embarrassing things, like erectile dysfunction, incontinence, marital infidelity, etc. Why wouldn't they be honest about racism?

How much did it account for in the positive vote for Obama? I don't have the answer, but I'm certain it's not zero.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well a lot of corruption proves otherwise.

15. citizenzen Suspended

Can you prove that your contention is true?

Do you really know that people answer truthfully about these (and other) things?

From the brief look into this issue, it would not appear to be so clear.

And

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's been my experience that most racist people don't actually believe they're racist and therefore wouldn't say they are to a pollster.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Just about to say that...

Kind of along the lines of "I'm not racist. I have black friends"...

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

AFAIK most racist people don't know that they're racist, very similar to homophobics

I'm not racist, I just don't think interracial couples is right
    I'm not racist, I just think the POTUS should be caucasian
    I'm not homophobic, I'm just against them get married

20. Prof., Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Saying what you're going to do as president on the campaign trail and actually doing those things once you're president are two completely different things. There's so many factors the general public just doesn't understand that affect the actions a politician takes once in the Oval Office. Saying "I'm going to do this" is a lot simpler on paper compared to actually doing it.

Everyone in Washington wants something for their vote. A congressmen from Utah wants this but a congresswomen from New Jersey wants that, and neither one of them are going to put down their vote until they get what they want for their respective state.

We also have the worst congress in American history...

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    And the ever classic "I don't have a problem with black people, it's ******s I don't like".

I hear that one at least three times a month around here, and the people who say it almost always have this weird look of semi-guilty self justification on their face when they say it. Like they're mentally trying to reconcile what they've been taught by their parents and grandparents vs. what they see around them vs. what they hear on TV. It's a strange thing to witness.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

And that's why many of them will never vote for a white guy.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, I know. Those everyone-elses have been spoiled for choices for far too long. They need to expand their racial horizons.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

A little grease here and there makes everything run smoothly.;) If you don't have grease, you can substitute oil. Bribery is frowned upon now, so blackmailing works for me.:D Obama needs to grab the NSA by the balls, then he could get it policies through Congress. Surely, the NSA could wiretap politicians.:p

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You know, I've run across the same exact line many times here in CT. It's baffling in it's stupidity and I'm always astounded when people agree with it as if it's not just blatantly racist.