People calling everything 'fake news' these days, how did this happen?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by logicstudiouser, Feb 14, 2017.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I was following US politics a lot during the election season more than I ever followed American politics before, but I don't recall hearing people say 'Fake News' at everything in 2015 and most of 2016. When did this 'Fake News' label become a thing? I remember hearing Trump call CNN 'fake news' a few weeks ago, but this started before that. When, why, how did this term become so mainstream?

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

it happened as a result of the main-stream media causing the masses to no longer trust them. they are so politicized today that they are no longer reporting the news they are slanting everything to their liking. courts are doing the same.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think it still started with Trump and his campaign talk earlier and his constant bashing of the media. It's possible it could have started with one of his supporters or surrogates too. Sounds like something Rudy Giuliani would say.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think the fake news label is overused. Much of what they call fake news are incomplete news (i.e. just showing the facts that support a certain side) or peoples commentary offered as news (both true and false depending on your viewpoint of the subject).

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You're right.

I'm so sick of the mainstream media continuously reporting about all those millions of illegal voters.

Oh wait...

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The point for Donald Trump in calling "fake news" on anything and everything he doesn't like is to discredit media, period. Take it from him, what he says is gospel. That's his mission on media. Once you don't believe anything you read anywhere, where ya gonna go to get yer news, eh? Straight to the White House where he has ensconced as a high level advisor one Stephen Bannon, formerly of Breitbart News.

I regard "fake news" labeling as an extension of right wing attempts to discredit mainstream media.

Longstanding far right efforts to discredit progressive and even moderate Republican ideas in media outlets have been funded, for example, by the likes of the Mercer Family Foundation: the foundation has pumped millions of bucks into ultraconservative organizations bent on opposing progressive politics and media outlets.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/201...donor-fueling-donald-trumps-white-house-hopes

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

The far right started publishing lots of fake news, and then started claiming any news they didn't like was also fake news.

Now fake news is the norm.

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Nice spin.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Courts did it with Roe vs Wade. Hell they did it in the 19th century too.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump's administration doesn't like what the media reports - so they have admitted that until they get the media to "fall in line" so to speak - they will just keep calling them fake news regardless.

Given today's series of tweets - it's quite a contradiction. On one hand you have Trump fuming about leaks in the White House and on the other, you have him calling media outlets reporting on the information Fake News.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Fake news is NBC editing a 911 recording to make George Zimmerman sound racist.
    Fake news is ABC editing Ari Fleischer's words to make it sound like he was criticizing Sean Spicer.
    Just two examples of probably many more that prove why it's important to get your news from multiple sources.

12. jeyf macrumors 6502

ha; remember how the NYT had trump 10% chance of a win.

well he's here and building his wall.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And the irony of his ranting today is that the NYT reporter who broke the news about all of the contact with Russian officials during the campaign also seems to be the reporter who broke the story about Clinton's e-mails.

He's playing a very dangerous game by calling out specific outlets and praising others.

But as long as nobody, especially the people who actually voted for him, hold him accountable (which they seem unable to do), it will continue.

But for real, someone needs to delete his twitter account. He's just embarrassing himself.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Add Congress to that list.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ This pretty much answers the OP's question, though not at all in the way intended. The right has been trying to sow distrust in the legitimate media for years. They don't like the facts, so they present "alternative facts" and tell you the legit media are lying.

Even the term "fake news", originally applied after the election to Russia's pro-Trump manipulation, has been twisted by the right to try to apply it to real news.

16. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He is calling out and praising the same guy...
    Is that like a divide-by-zero error?

No, he should keep going on with the tweets.
    SNL would not be as funny otherwise.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Expect term to be applied as "Fake science", and "Alt science".
    Creationism has never been stronger.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

"courts are doing the same"??? You can't just make things up
    And how does that benefit anyone?

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Didn't Hillary herself say that it was anti-Hillary?

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you can convince the public that anyone who fact-checks you can't be relied upon, you can lie with impunity.

20. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

How did this happen?

That's the power of the Donald. :D

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

If the media had been doing their job the right way all along they could easily take the high ground here. But they have been caught lying in the past so their credibility alone isn't enough to dismiss claims made against them. If Trump's "policy" going forward is to call every bad story about him fake then that is troubling. However, it is also troubling that the media put themselves in a position that they need to defend.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Originally Fake News was ..... fake. National Enquirer. SNL. Onion. You knew it was fake and was entertaining.
    Now fake news has become, I personally think the term is overused, any news that is false by omission or commission and has the intent to garner readership or clicks. It may be and currently is predominately used to disparage targeted individuals or organizations.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think this was going on long before our current president. You had both the left and the right reporting and slanting it to their liking. This is nothing new, only now it is in your face given who is in the oval office. Going back to the Bush Jr era we have had issues with the media. It seems to have been compounded here of late even more so.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - can't tell.. are you pleased with this?

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'll agree that the expression has become overused.

One thing I have noticed, and it's alarming, is the way Trump and other Conservatives have taken to using the expression to dismiss any (legitimate) news story that they deem critical to their positions or assertions.

I'm really concerned that we will very shortly reach a point of "Trump Fatigue." Where it becomes literally overwhelming to deal with the blizzard of untruths and distortions coming out of the White House. Every time my NY Times or Politico news alert beeps I ask myself "What fresh hell is this that Trump has unleashed upon us?" And I find myself breathing a literal sigh of relief that it's only a town being evacuated or some celebrity having died.

That is really the ultimate goal of "Fake News". The creators and practitioners know full well that their absurd stories won't stand the most cursory examination or fact-checking. That's not the point. The point is to overwhelm the average consumer to the point that they simply stop paying attention to all legitimate news stories. And you already see this: sizable majorities of the US population state that they "don't trust" the news media. It's been a dozen years since the Jayson Blair story rocked the New York Times. But you'd think it was just yesterday by the way many people seem to regard what is probably the most prestigious and reliable newspaper in the world.